Regulation/Law regarding driving UK/foreign plates after import - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Regulation/Law regarding driving UK/foreign plates after import

Hey Folks,
Does anyone know where to find regulations/laws regarding driving on UK plates after import? I've heard it quoted but would like to have more ammo that word of mouth if I get pulled. Thanks!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Doug probably knows better than most.
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

In GA, I think you can drive with a "home-made" sign with "Tag Applied for" on the back for up to 30 days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
In GA, I think you can drive with a "home-made" sign with "Tag Applied for" on the back for up to 30 days.
You sure would think so based on the amount of sketchy looking cars with these on them!

Old August 9th, 2012, 11:55 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure about the "law", but f you're just doing it temp I'd say get it insured with your carrier using the vin/year/etc and have your V5 and/or import docs handy. Cops probably wouldn't know what to do anyhow.

Or...many states (like VA) allow you to purchase a "transit tag" right over the Internet for cheap ($5) that is valid to transport the vehicle on for 3 days from the date of the bill of sale. I used this for: 1) my 90, 2) my Sankey, 3) the wife's Audi when I sold it. Even with these you need to have them insured, but if you'd rather not go with my first suggestion of winging it then this is a viable (legal) option.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Those are not valid. All they might do is get you away with a warning. The only temporary tag that's legal is a dealer tag or a Temporary Operating Permit from the tag office.
As of 1-1-11 you have 7 days to get a vehicle properly registered.
Only if you buy from a dealer do you still have 30 days. Gee, I wonder who backed those changes in the law?

Here's a notice from the Marietta Police, but it's addressing HB 1005.
http://www.mariettaga.gov/city/polic...e?pressrel=275

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I drove on Post for 20 some odd days with Ecuador plates in the front and expired temp plates in the rear fyi. MPs and police were too busy looking at the truck to care about plates, and now that any joe blow can drive onto Benning, the gate guards dont check either. Columbus police are too busy to care. I had to wait a long time for my specialty plates to arrive from Idaho.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:26 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
You might want to check in GA for a "Trip Permit".

Here is the link from VA DMV:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...emp_permit.asp
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Here's the actual statute:
Quote:
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2012 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.
*** Current Through the 2012 Regular Session ***
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 2. REGISTRATION AND LICENSING OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 2. REGISTRATION AND LICENSING GENERALLY
O.C.G.A. 40-2-29 (2012)
40-2-29. Registration and license plate requirement; license fee to accompany application; temporary operating permit; penalties

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any person purchasing or acquiring a vehicle shall register and obtain, or transfer, a license plate to operate such vehicle from the county tag agent in their county of residence no later than seven business days after the date of purchase or acquisition of the vehicle by presenting to the county tag agent the following:

(1) A motor vehicle certificate of title as provided in Chapter 3 of this title;

(2) Satisfactory proof of owner's insurance coverage as provided for in subsection (d) of Code Section 40-2-26;

(3) If applicable, satisfactory proof of compliance with the Article 2 of Chapter 9 of Title 12, the "Georgia Motor Vehicle Emission Inspection and Maintenance Act"; and

(4) Satisfactory proof that all fees, permits, and taxes have been paid.

(b) An application for registration shall be accompanied by check; cash; certified or cashier's check; bank, postal, or express money order; or other similar bankable paper for the amount of the license plate or temporary permit fee or any taxes required by law.

(c) A person unable to fully comply with the requirements of subsection (a) of this Code section shall register such vehicle and receive a temporary operating permit that will be valid until the end of the initial registration period as provided for in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Code Section 40-2-21.

(d) A conviction for displaying a license plate or temporary license plate not provided for in this chapter shall be punished as a misdemeanor.
If you want to see 40-2-21, you can find it here: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/

The only trip permits I found reference to were for oversize loads, but I didn't spend much time looking.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you have the title, etc with you. My friend drove his DII around with a 'tag applied for' sign for a few months because he couldn't get it to pass emissions. He never had an issue but I wouldn't recommend doing it for that long!
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
30 days on foriegn plates for imported vehicles. Show any cop the delivery order I provided you, along with a copy of the v5 and proof of insurance and you are golden. I'll take it further-if you get pulled over call my cell and put me on with Barney Phife.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:37 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thanks Doug and others for the help and advice. Right now I'm driving with the full folder of documents: V5, invoice, insurance, etc. and am just hoping for the best. Will start title process Monday. While driving it (for the first time) today I had multiple cops pass me and no issues... not to worried about it anymore.

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Thanks Doug and others for the help and advice. Right now I'm driving with the full folder of documents: V5, invoice, insurance, etc. and am just hoping for the best. Will start title process Monday. While driving it (for the first time) today I had multiple cops pass me and no issues... not to worried about it anymore.

This is Georgia... You will be fine.

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post

You will need the import documents in order to title it which haven't come through to me yet.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 13th, 2012, 06:21 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
You will need the import documents in order to title it which haven't come through to me yet.
Roger. Today was just a friendly visit to the Police Department to have them verify my VIN - per GA's 'foreign vehicle title and registration' process.

Old August 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I drove mine for 3 month on UK tags, not bothered once, and here in the People's Republic of Marylandistan they are not so friendly
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:23 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Just make sure you have plates. When I got pulled over when my truck was waiting for registration, it was because I didn't have rear plates. The K9 cop who pulled me over said that I had to have _something_ on the truck...even the original uk plates would have worked...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import, vin