Registering / importing 200tdi 5 door 110 from Italy... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:57 PM
fruitpunch
Status: Offline
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Ridge, NY
Posts: 231
Registry
Registering / importing 200tdi 5 door 110 from Italy...

Anyone done this recently ? The registration stuff has gone digital Nov of 2015 how does this work now when you get to the DMV in the US ?

Atto di vendita (Bill of Sale)
Certificato di proprietÓ ( title)
Carta di circolazione (registration)

who has done this recently and which paperwork did you actually end up with. I got a friend here who has his car but nothing with it except a 7501
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:01 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch View Post
Anyone done this recently ? The registration stuff has gone digital Nov of 2015 how does this work now when you get to the DMV in the US ?

Atto di vendita (Bill of Sale)
Certificato di proprietÓ ( title)
Carta di circolazione (registration)

who has done this recently and which paperwork did you actually end up with. I got a friend here who has his car but nothing with it except a 7501
It's a pain in the ass in VA.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:02 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,839
Registry
how could he have only a 7501 when in order to get a 7501 you have to submit a foreign registration and bill of sale ?

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 08:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
It's a pain in the ass in VA.
Virginia is one of the easiest states to title an import in Pedro. In and out in 10 mins.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:06 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
how could he have only a 7501 when in order to get a 7501 you have to submit a foreign registration and bill of sale ?

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 08:04 PM ------

Virginia is one of the easiest states to title an import in Pedro. In and out in 10 mins.
That's probably true in God's Country VA... In NoVA... It's a pain... even Jason had issues.

Anywhoo....
They will not accept the electronic version of the Italian title.

I was talking with someone that was having issues with the electronic version of the Italian title.

DMV is like a box of chocolate... you never know who are you going to get.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:29 PM
johan's Avatar
johan
Status: Offline
johan
2009 Range Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rockford, MI, USA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
how could he have only a 7501 when in order to get a 7501 you have to submit a foreign registration and bill of sale ? .
Not questioning your authority Doug, but I have never needed a registration nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501.
__________________
Johan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:35 PM
Edmond
Status: Offline
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: la crescenta, CA, 91214
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Not questioning your authority Doug, but I have never needed a registration nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501.
Johan,

You mentioned to Uncle Douglas that you dont need to submit registration papers nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501 from The Customs..

What exactly do you submit to US Customs to get the 7501 if you are not showing them the Registration papers and the bill of Sale?

Doesnt make sense.

I agree with Uncle Douglas, because i experienced the same thing..

Please explain Johan

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:46 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,839
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
but I have never needed a registration nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501.
??? One of the primary/basic requirements to file a vehicle import entry with customs are scans/copies of the foreign registration, and the bill of sale.

How is customs clearing your vehicles if you don't even provide them with the basics as to what it is ? How are they even comparing the VIN on the chassis to a registration if you are not providing it ?

How are they calculating the entry duty due if you are not providing them a copy of a commercial invoice or private party bill of sale ?

FWIW- on the vehicles I have handled for you, and those whom have bought trucks from you, we have provided Customs with scans of these two forms as required.

In my experience Customs do not consider the entry filed correctly and will not even begin processing it if a foreign registration and proof of price paid are not included with the entry package.

My experience has been the contrary, I have had them catch typo's on 25+ year old registrations.

For those not following the conversation, 7501 is the form where Customs grants entry. If you have one, the vehicle has been granted entry.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:47 PM
johan's Avatar
johan
Status: Offline
johan
2009 Range Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rockford, MI, USA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
Johan, You mentioned to Uncle Douglas that you dont need to submit registration papers nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501 from The Customs.. What exactly do you submit to US Customs to get the 7501 if you are not showing them the Registration papers and the bill of Sale? Doesnt make sense. I agree with Uncle Douglas, because i experienced the same thing.. Please explain Johan Thanks

Sorry, mixing things up, of course I need the bill of sale providing VIN, price and some more info. They never asked for registration also not during intensive exams.
__________________
Johan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:47 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Sorry, mixing things up, of course I need the bill of sale providing VIN, price and some more info. They never asked for registration also not during intensive exams.
So we don't need to prove it was regesitered? That would have saved me a good chunk of change.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:47 PM
fruitpunch
Status: Offline
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Ridge, NY
Posts: 231
Registry
this is the kind of deal where ebay seller organized everything. let him pick up the car but gave him no paperwork and now says that there isn't any... NY DMV is going to want to see those things. I am curious about the electronic Italian DMV papers and wondering if anyone has run into them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:55 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch View Post
this is the kind of deal where ebay seller organized everything. let him pick up the car but gave him no paperwork and now says that there isn't any... NY DMV is going to want to see those things. I am curious about the electronic Italian DMV papers and wondering if anyone has run into them.
You can register it in VT, CT, ME, And RI without a title/registration (or so everyone has been saying).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:59 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,743
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
That's probably true in God's Country VA... In NoVA... It's a pain... even Jason had issues.
For once, Pedro is right. Once.

"My mother hung me on a coat hook once. Once."
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:39 AM
broadstone's Avatar
broadstone
Status: Offline
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dorset UK / CT USA
Posts: 662
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
You can register it in VT, CT, ME, And RI without a title/registration (or so everyone has been saying).
I had to produce foreign title in my name as proof of ownership for every truck I imported with CT DMV. They even insisted in Wethersfield that I get the foreign title translated by their approved agents, I never did, I just went to a different office using the same branch manager that did all my previous trucks and it was fine.
__________________
Patches are for Pirates and pants, not a bulkhead and chassis!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:34 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,789
Fruitpunch you're experience with lack of documentation is a good reminder to anyone who trying to personally import s vehicle to use someone like Uncle Doug who knows what is needed and can get it done.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:56 AM
fruitpunch
Status: Offline
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Ridge, NY
Posts: 231
Registry
Actually when you do it personally you end up with the correct papers. When you end up with an eBay seller that promises to deliver it to your door with their US agent you get hosed. In this case their US agent is demanding more money , under declared the value of the car and the Italian seller emails saying to not pay agent/broker more money as he's paid in full . But I guess that's where the correct paperwork is held in random
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:20 PM
fruitpunch
Status: Offline
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Ridge, NY
Posts: 231
Registry
ransom stupid iphone autospell
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I had to produce foreign title in my name as proof of ownership for every truck I imported with CT DMV. They even insisted in Wethersfield that I get the foreign title translated by their approved agents, I never did, I just went to a different office using the same branch manager that did all my previous trucks and it was fine.
CT changed in/around 2014 to no title required older than 20 years.

------ Follow up post added February 23rd, 2016 12:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Fruitpunch you're experience with lack of documentation is a good reminder to anyone who trying to personally import s vehicle to use someone like Uncle Doug who knows what is needed and can get it done.
See Marc's post below. With research and common sense it can be done by anyone, I'm not saying do not use Doug, as he has other resources/relationships that make the process more smooth such as knowledge of reputable seller, finding someone to transport the truck, and inspect it!

But please do not discourage people from importing trucks on their own, I had no major problems with the process and did the whole thing as a recent college grad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch View Post
Actually when you do it personally you end up with the correct papers. When you end up with an eBay seller that promises to deliver it to your door with their US agent you get hosed. In this case their US agent is demanding more money , under declared the value of the car and the Italian seller emails saying to not pay agent/broker more money as he's paid in full . But I guess that's where the correct paperwork is held in random
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:35 PM
fruitpunch
Status: Offline
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stone Ridge, NY
Posts: 231
Registry
actually on your own is much easier then broker, many brokers are clueless and don't care if they screw something up, makes more money for them at the end as it might require them to do more. in customs in Newark they are curious if an individual shows up, almost helpful. In this case the broker undeclared the value at about 65% and then tried to get more money from the buyer who had paid a flat fee to the seller for having it all done. And is now withholding paperwork saying he doesn't have it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:52 PM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
Status: Offline
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,447
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
For once, Pedro is right. Once. "My mother hung me on a coat hook once. Once."

Not really....you two might be the anomaly.
__________________
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Edmond
Status: Offline
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: la crescenta, CA, 91214
Posts: 314
Mark

Any luck with your friend? Did he find someone to do the registration?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 200tdi, door, import, tdi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 200tdi offered from Italy asif k. For Sale - Vehicles 20 December 13th, 2015 02:48 PM
Registering a post-1997 Diesel in VA The Dro Misc. Chit-Chat 15 December 17th, 2010 08:16 AM
Registering a 1984 110 in California 1of40 Defender Technical Discussions 24 November 11th, 2010 12:18 AM
Experience registering a 1980's 200 tdi in CO aosias Defender Technical Discussions 4 December 14th, 2009 06:18 PM
Problems with registering chrisvonc Support & Suggestions 0 November 7th, 2003 10:36 AM

» Defender Registry

Lola

Nooner

MIke's D90

usla1
Add your Defender

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Copyright