Registering / importing 200tdi 5 door 110 from Italy... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:57 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
Registering / importing 200tdi 5 door 110 from Italy...

Anyone done this recently ? The registration stuff has gone digital Nov of 2015 how does this work now when you get to the DMV in the US ?

Atto di vendita (Bill of Sale)
Certificato di proprietÓ ( title)
Carta di circolazione (registration)

who has done this recently and which paperwork did you actually end up with. I got a friend here who has his car but nothing with it except a 7501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:01 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch View Post
Anyone done this recently ? The registration stuff has gone digital Nov of 2015 how does this work now when you get to the DMV in the US ?

Atto di vendita (Bill of Sale)
Certificato di proprietÓ ( title)
Carta di circolazione (registration)

who has done this recently and which paperwork did you actually end up with. I got a friend here who has his car but nothing with it except a 7501
It's a pain in the ass in VA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
how could he have only a 7501 when in order to get a 7501 you have to submit a foreign registration and bill of sale ?

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 08:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
It's a pain in the ass in VA.
Virginia is one of the easiest states to title an import in Pedro. In and out in 10 mins.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:06 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
how could he have only a 7501 when in order to get a 7501 you have to submit a foreign registration and bill of sale ?

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 08:04 PM ------

Virginia is one of the easiest states to title an import in Pedro. In and out in 10 mins.
That's probably true in God's Country VA... In NoVA... It's a pain... even Jason had issues.

Anywhoo....
They will not accept the electronic version of the Italian title.

I was talking with someone that was having issues with the electronic version of the Italian title.

DMV is like a box of chocolate... you never know who are you going to get.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:29 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
how could he have only a 7501 when in order to get a 7501 you have to submit a foreign registration and bill of sale ? .
Not questioning your authority Doug, but I have never needed a registration nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:35 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Not questioning your authority Doug, but I have never needed a registration nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501.
Johan,

You mentioned to Uncle Douglas that you dont need to submit registration papers nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501 from The Customs..

What exactly do you submit to US Customs to get the 7501 if you are not showing them the Registration papers and the bill of Sale?

Doesnt make sense.

I agree with Uncle Douglas, because i experienced the same thing..

Please explain Johan

Thanks
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
but I have never needed a registration nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501.
??? One of the primary/basic requirements to file a vehicle import entry with customs are scans/copies of the foreign registration, and the bill of sale.

How is customs clearing your vehicles if you don't even provide them with the basics as to what it is ? How are they even comparing the VIN on the chassis to a registration if you are not providing it ?

How are they calculating the entry duty due if you are not providing them a copy of a commercial invoice or private party bill of sale ?

FWIW- on the vehicles I have handled for you, and those whom have bought trucks from you, we have provided Customs with scans of these two forms as required.

In my experience Customs do not consider the entry filed correctly and will not even begin processing it if a foreign registration and proof of price paid are not included with the entry package.

My experience has been the contrary, I have had them catch typo's on 25+ year old registrations.

For those not following the conversation, 7501 is the form where Customs grants entry. If you have one, the vehicle has been granted entry.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:47 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
Johan, You mentioned to Uncle Douglas that you dont need to submit registration papers nor bill of sale to obtain the 7501 from The Customs.. What exactly do you submit to US Customs to get the 7501 if you are not showing them the Registration papers and the bill of Sale? Doesnt make sense. I agree with Uncle Douglas, because i experienced the same thing.. Please explain Johan Thanks

Sorry, mixing things up, of course I need the bill of sale providing VIN, price and some more info. They never asked for registration also not during intensive exams.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:47 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Sorry, mixing things up, of course I need the bill of sale providing VIN, price and some more info. They never asked for registration also not during intensive exams.
So we don't need to prove it was regesitered? That would have saved me a good chunk of change.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:47 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
this is the kind of deal where ebay seller organized everything. let him pick up the car but gave him no paperwork and now says that there isn't any... NY DMV is going to want to see those things. I am curious about the electronic Italian DMV papers and wondering if anyone has run into them.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:55 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
this is the kind of deal where ebay seller organized everything. let him pick up the car but gave him no paperwork and now says that there isn't any... NY DMV is going to want to see those things. I am curious about the electronic Italian DMV papers and wondering if anyone has run into them.
You can register it in VT, CT, ME, And RI without a title/registration (or so everyone has been saying).
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:59 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
That's probably true in God's Country VA... In NoVA... It's a pain... even Jason had issues.
For once, Pedro is right. Once.

"My mother hung me on a coat hook once. Once."
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:39 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
You can register it in VT, CT, ME, And RI without a title/registration (or so everyone has been saying).
I had to produce foreign title in my name as proof of ownership for every truck I imported with CT DMV. They even insisted in Wethersfield that I get the foreign title translated by their approved agents, I never did, I just went to a different office using the same branch manager that did all my previous trucks and it was fine.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:34 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Fruitpunch you're experience with lack of documentation is a good reminder to anyone who trying to personally import s vehicle to use someone like Uncle Doug who knows what is needed and can get it done.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:56 AM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
Actually when you do it personally you end up with the correct papers. When you end up with an eBay seller that promises to deliver it to your door with their US agent you get hosed. In this case their US agent is demanding more money , under declared the value of the car and the Italian seller emails saying to not pay agent/broker more money as he's paid in full . But I guess that's where the correct paperwork is held in random
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:20 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
ransom stupid iphone autospell
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I had to produce foreign title in my name as proof of ownership for every truck I imported with CT DMV. They even insisted in Wethersfield that I get the foreign title translated by their approved agents, I never did, I just went to a different office using the same branch manager that did all my previous trucks and it was fine.
CT changed in/around 2014 to no title required older than 20 years.

------ Follow up post added February 23rd, 2016 12:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Fruitpunch you're experience with lack of documentation is a good reminder to anyone who trying to personally import s vehicle to use someone like Uncle Doug who knows what is needed and can get it done.
See Marc's post below. With research and common sense it can be done by anyone, I'm not saying do not use Doug, as he has other resources/relationships that make the process more smooth such as knowledge of reputable seller, finding someone to transport the truck, and inspect it!

But please do not discourage people from importing trucks on their own, I had no major problems with the process and did the whole thing as a recent college grad.

Quote:
Actually when you do it personally you end up with the correct papers. When you end up with an eBay seller that promises to deliver it to your door with their US agent you get hosed. In this case their US agent is demanding more money , under declared the value of the car and the Italian seller emails saying to not pay agent/broker more money as he's paid in full . But I guess that's where the correct paperwork is held in random
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:35 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer

Registry
actually on your own is much easier then broker, many brokers are clueless and don't care if they screw something up, makes more money for them at the end as it might require them to do more. in customs in Newark they are curious if an individual shows up, almost helpful. In this case the broker undeclared the value at about 65% and then tried to get more money from the buyer who had paid a flat fee to the seller for having it all done. And is now withholding paperwork saying he doesn't have it.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:52 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
For once, Pedro is right. Once. "My mother hung me on a coat hook once. Once."

Not really....you two might be the anomaly.
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Mark

Any luck with your friend? Did he find someone to do the registration?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 200tdi, door, import, tdi