Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 11th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Sacramento4X
Brian Morris
None

Registering a Diesel In California

Two things, I want to confirm I'm not looking to purchase a unit scoped by Homeland Security for seizure and two, I want to confirm my ability to leagally register a D 90, 2.5l diesel unit in California. Any feedback is appreciated.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento4X View Post
Two things, I want to confirm I'm not looking to purchase a unit scoped by Homeland Security for seizure and two, I want to confirm my ability to leagally register a D 90, 2.5l diesel unit in California. Any feedback is appreciated. Brian
All of the Defenders from the case I was involved with were released by the government pursuant to a settlement agreement. They are now immune from being pursued again on such grounds.

I have received a ton of requests recently along these lines and I am happy to help those like yourself with inquiries. However, because of the sheer number of requests I've received, I'm going to start charging a fee for such requests. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss.

My email is: will@williamhedricklaw.com

Thanks and please have a great evening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I want to confirm my ability to legally register a D 90, 2.5l diesel unit in California. Any feedback is appreciated.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...now-59447.html

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:58 PM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

You cannot register any grey market vehicle in California built after 1978 I believe. There is only one shop in California licensed to modify and certify a grey market vehicle in California. They quoted a client of mine $20,000 as a low ball estimate for the work done. I would not attempt it as it will be a major waste of time and money.
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Two things, I want to confirm I'm not looking to purchase a unit scoped by Homeland Security for seizure and two, I want to confirm my ability to leagally register a D 90, 2.5l diesel unit in California. Any feedback is appreciated.

Brian
It can be done. i know someone who has done a couple this year.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old August 12th, 2015, 02:04 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Homeland Security took my 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrover View Post
You cannot register any grey market vehicle in California built after 1978 I believe. There is only one shop in California licensed to modify and certify a grey market vehicle in California. They quoted a client of mine $20,000 as a low ball estimate for the work done. I would not attempt it as it will be a major waste of time and money.

Unfortunately, not true. You can register a truck in CA provided you make it CARB compliant:

1) Install a California approved fuel injected engine, preferably one out of a NAS Land Rover, Range Rover Classic, D1, D2, etc.
2) Install California approved Catalytic Converters and Oxygen Sensors
3) Take it to a state approved Smog Station (referee station, where it will be inspected and certified, and a CARB/EPA sticker attached
4) Drive it, enjoy it, and get it smoged every 2 years at any California smog station after that.
Old August 12th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Unfortunately, not true. You can register a truck in CA provided you make it CARB compliant: 1) Install a California approved fuel injected engine, preferably one out of a NAS Land Rover, Range Rover Classic, D1, D2, etc. 2) Install California approved Catalytic Converters and Oxygen Sensors 3) Take it to a state approved Smog Station (referee station, where it will be inspected and certified, and a CARB/EPA sticker attached 4) Drive it, enjoy it, and get it smoged every 2 years at any California smog station after that.
It's pretty obvious you didn't read the question that provoked this segment of the thread.
He asked how to make a diesel legal in Ca not gas.
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:18 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Homeland Security took my 110

Rocky: I did read the question. I was answering chasrover which is why I quoted his reply in the 1st place. He said you cannot register any grey market vehicle in California.
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:36 AM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Unfortunately, not true. You can register a truck in CA provided you make it CARB compliant: 1) Install a California approved fuel injected engine, preferably one out of a NAS Land Rover, Range Rover Classic, D1, D2, etc. 2) Install California approved Catalytic Converters and Oxygen Sensors 3) Take it to a state approved Smog Station (referee station, where it will be inspected and certified, and a CARB/EPA sticker attached 4) Drive it, enjoy it, and get it smoged every 2 years at any California smog station after that.

If you have had better luck than me in this matter I stand corrected. I spent a good amount of time and effort trying to figure out a way to do it and it is not easy. It can be done but not as easy as you make it sound. If Doug says he has helped multiple trucks get registered in California then there must be a way. I would be interested to hear more on it. I don't know if it is a matter of cost not being a limiting factor or just greasing the right wheels.
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There is some grease, personality, and a lot of trailering the truck to different agencies for inspection involved.
I have a guy who will handle it for you but he's not cheap. The truck must first have been titled in another state.
That said,if its a diesel it can be done.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old August 12th, 2015, 10:23 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It's pretty obvious you didn't read the question that provoked this segment of the thread.
He asked how to make a diesel legal in CA.
When I was researching putting the Mercedes OM617 into a ROW that originally had a 2.5 N/A, I called EPA to ask questions about putting a federalized diesel engine into an imported vehicle.
What I was told was if the engine is of the same year manufacture as the vehicle, you can substitute (convert) to any federalized engine of the same year.
When I asked about CA, the EPA guy paused and said CA has more stringent regs that the EPA and you will have to check with them directly.
I wonder if CA would let you install a Mercedes OM617 manufactured in 1985 into a 1985 ROW 110 for example.
The OM617 was used in many applications, cars, vans, military vehicles, and the Haglund tracked vehicles.
I was told the OM617 was manufactured until around 2000 or 2001, but was only officially imported into USA until 1985.
It is also worth noting that the WM IP is not tuned for power, it's tuned to limit exhaust smoke in USA.
There are ROW modified M IPs that will provide over 220 HP and loads of torque.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
When I was researching putting the Mercedes OM617 into a ROW that originally had a 2.5 N/A, I called EPA to ask questions about putting a federalized diesel engine into an imported vehicle. What I was told was if the engine is of the same year manufacture as the vehicle, you can substitute (convert) to any federalized engine of the same year. When I asked about CA, the EPA guy paused and said CA has more stringent regs that the EPA and you will have to check with them directly. I wonder if CA would let you install a Mercedes OM617 manufactured in 1985 into a 1985 ROW 110 for example. The OM617 was used in many applications, cars, vans, military vehicles, and the Haglund tracked vehicles. I was told it was manufactured until around 2000 or 2001, but was only officially imported into USA until 1985. It is also worth noting that the WM IP is not tuned for power, it's tuned to limit exhaust smoke in USA. There are ROW modified M IPs that will provide over 220 HP and loads of torque.
He would have to get one of the CA OM617's then. From what I've read they have added items.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:50 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
He would have to get one of the CA OM617's then. From what I've read they have added items.
Yes.
The manifolds are different and there is an added component to the exhaust called an EG oxidizer which is first cousin to a catalytic converter.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:15 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Registering a Diesel In California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
There is some grease, personality, and a lot of trailering the truck to different agencies for inspection involved.
I have a guy who will handle it for you but he's not cheap. The truck must first have been titled in another state.
That said,if its a diesel it can be done.

Just curious as to how long this is good for. Is this permanent or good until the registration is due for renewal?

The reason I ask this, is based on personal knowledge of 2 diesel Defenders (both D110), making it past registration the 1st year (with legal CA registrations issued), and then flagged by Sacramento the following year upon renewal and denied registration. One had to be sold out of state, and the other titled in Arizona.

Not trolling or trying to rain on anyone's parade, I would just hate to see a fellow board member go through the expense and heartache, only to have their registration denied the following year.
Old November 1st, 2015, 04:11 PM
zio
zio
1989 Land Rover 90

I attempted to register my 89 Land Rover 90 2.5td diesel and it didn't happen.

DMV and the Referee told me I would have to bring it down to an approved shop in Santa Ana and pay him X amount of dollars to do the necessary modifications to allow it to be driven on the CA roads.

I have heard a few bad stories about this particular guy in Santa Ana. Like switching a hose out and charging $5k.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my rig.
Old November 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zio View Post
I attempted to register my 89 Land Rover 90 2.5td diesel and it didn't happen.

DMV and the Referee told me I would have to bring it down to an approved shop in Santa Ana and pay him X amount of dollars to do the necessary modifications to allow it to be driven on the CA roads.

I have heard a few bad stories about this particular guy in Santa Ana. Like switching a hose out and charging $5k.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my rig.
Sell it to me when I move there! In all honesty, I'd just register it in another state that you own property in if you really want one that bad. Or pay to play, video tape the whole thing, then take it to 60 Minutes and cause a huge hullaballoo!

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 1st, 2015, 04:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
This is like the minority's report ... You confess to a crime before it occurs ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:58 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
Don't waste your time or money, just register it in a different state like was said above. You don't even have to own property in that state. Check your PM.
Old November 1st, 2015, 07:32 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS Rebuild Project

Registry
It is possible. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:18 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

Ok, I am taking my 1989 Defender 90 down to G and K in the next week or so, and paying the $estimated 7,500.00 for the conversion required by DMV. Let you know how it goes after the 10 weeks that is required for the work. If it can be done, legally, I will find out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat