Registering a 1988 Defender 110 in New York State - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 20th, 2016, 05:34 PM
kemptondefender
Fiona
1988 Defender 110

Registering a 1988 Defender 110 in New York State

Hi Everyone-new to this forum and have just purchased a 1998 Defender 110 TD. It is on a boat now and looking to register it in NY when it arrives, which according to our customs agent is the worst state to register a foreign vehicle. Anyone have recent experience? Since 2014 apparently it needs verification that it passed emissions test in the UK, even if it is exempt from the federal EPA. I have had the dealer write a letter to state the same and try and get him to pass the recent MOT we had done to the shipping agent where it would verify this-but notoriously our DMV in NYC has appauling customer service/experience so they may not accept it anyway, as they won't understand it. Is there a specific document this should be on ? I have tried to find something on their website to no avail. Any advice appreciated! best, fiona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 05:38 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
have any family in rhode island? lol
Old April 20th, 2016, 05:49 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemptondefender View Post
Hi Everyone-new to this forum and have just purchased a 1998 Defender 110 TD. It is on a boat now and looking to register it in NY when it arrives, which according to our customs agent is the worst state to register a foreign vehicle. Anyone have recent experience? Since 2014 apparently it needs verification that it passed emissions test in the UK, even if it is exempt from the federal EPA. I have had the dealer write a letter to state the same and try and get him to pass the recent MOT we had done to the shipping agent where it would verify this-but notoriously our DMV in NYC has appauling customer service/experience so they may not accept it anyway, as they won't understand it. Is there a specific document this should be on ? I have tried to find something on their website to no avail. Any advice appreciated! best, fiona
The MOT is evidence the truck passed the appropriate UK emissions testing for a vehicle of that age.

Oh and if you are in BK tomorrow evening we are having drinks at Over the 8 on Union in Williamsburg from 6pm.

Apparently the DMV has books of documents that are equivalent to US docs so you should be OK - assuming you get an above average agent! ;-)

And the worst state is CA where you cannot register a diesel!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Nick&Nora
Matthew Smith
1989/110

Registry
Hi Fiona
I just did this with an '89 110. Mine is French, but I purchased it from a UK dealer. He hadn't registered it in the UK so I was skeptical about my ability to get title (I had a French title signed over to the dealer as well as an invoice and bill of sale from dealer to me) but to my surprise and delight, the title arrived last week.

I'm in NYC, but used NY Tag and Title in Albany. The registration part was simple with the appropriate importation docs (thanks Uncle Doug). I didn't have an MOT or whatever the French equivalent is. Let me know if I can help.
-Matthew
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Noyac40
Scott
1985 D110

Registry
NY Registration

Fiona, I just purchased a 1985 110 5 door from Johan and it came with a title (card) from Netherlands, Customs form, and an EPA form for the exemption. I filled out the DMV form and went to the Bowling Green DMV downtown NYC. They were not too busy and after talking to their ops department, they were able to figure out that the title, plus bill of sale equated to a signed title in the US. I did have to return the next day and bring a clear picture and tracing (rub pencil over numbers) of the VIN because non-US VINs do not register in their system. I got the plates yesterday and fingers crossed on title. I think you just have to go in and explain what it is. There is a guy at window 18 who looks like all he does is title work and may get it, I went to Heather at window 14 and she was patient and got it done. Its not so bad, the worst part is trying to figure out how to affix a US plate to a 110. Good luck!

Scott
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:06 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Go to another DMV in Hudson Valley where they are pleasant and no lines...... Peekskill, Wappingers, etc.... much more pleasant human experience.
Old April 21st, 2016, 04:49 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Google MOT history and put in the registration number on the UK government website....will give you like a 10 year look back
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:03 PM
kemptondefender
Fiona
1988 Defender 110

Thanks everyone! I have the MOT history and it's current one now so that's great-and I also have somewhere in Rhode Island I can register it if the going gets tough at Greenwich St DMV. Was planning on doing a VIN rubbing too as I read that somewhere too, so good to know I need it. Now fingers crossed the vehicle carrier doesn't sink and border protection have had their morning coffee when it rolls off, so I don't have to pay for it to have a expensive stay at the port.
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:43 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I have the MOT history and it's current one now so that's great-and I also have somewhere in Rhode Island I can register it if the going gets tough at Greenwich St DMV. Was planning on doing a VIN rubbing too as I read that somewhere too, so good to know I need it. Now fingers crossed the vehicle carrier doesn't sink and border protection have had their morning coffee when it rolls off, so I don't have to pay for it to have a expensive stay at the port.
Any update? Mine is leaving Italy soon and am concerned about registering in NY. My hope was to show up at the shipping company with a license plate and driving home.

Its a 1991 D90 200TDI

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2016 12:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick&Nora View Post
Hi Fiona
I just did this with an '89 110. Mine is French, but I purchased it from a UK dealer. He hadn't registered it in the UK so I was skeptical about my ability to get title (I had a French title signed over to the dealer as well as an invoice and bill of sale from dealer to me) but to my surprise and delight, the title arrived last week.

I'm in NYC, but used NY Tag and Title in Albany. The registration part was simple with the appropriate importation docs (thanks Uncle Doug). I didn't have an MOT or whatever the French equivalent is. Let me know if I can help.
-Matthew
I am interested in using NY T&T if it makes my experience that much better. What did they charge to handle it all?
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Nick&Nora
Matthew Smith
1989/110

Registry
It was pretty easy, but I don't know if it was easier because I haven't done it in my own. I called and spoke to Anthony Raimo. We discussed the situation and the documents that I had. I scanned them to him and we discussed again. He asked for a few other things.

I sent him all the originals via FedEx (yes, I was marginally uncomfortable about this, but knew I could duplicate everything but the French title). He was very communicative along the way and in a few days he told me he had my plates. The next day I had them. He wasn't sure the title would come through, but ultimately it did.

$75 plus the FedEx both ways (and, of course, the state fees). Once the plates were on, I got the state inspection and that was that.

To me, having someone who goes to the dmv and talks to the clerks every day do this for me was easily worth the $75.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2016 06:33 PM ------

Quote:
It was pretty easy, but I don't know if it was easier because I haven't done it in my own. I called and spoke to Anthony Raimo. We discussed the situation and the documents that I had. I scanned them to him and we discussed again. He asked for a few other things. I sent him all the originals via FedEx (yes, I was marginally uncomfortable about this, but knew I could duplicate everything but the French title). He was very communicative along the way and in a few days he told me he had my plates. The next day I had them. He wasn't sure the title would come through, but ultimately it did. $75 plus the FedEx both ways (and, of course, the state fees). Once the plates were on, I got the state inspection and that was that. To me, having someone who goes to the dmv and talks to the clerks every day do this for me was easily worth the $75.
By the way, you will need your Italian docs translated. I had my French colleague translate my documents and then had another colleague notarize it with a statement re: the translator's fluency in both languages. I would hardly call it official (although it was totally accurate).
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:51 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
It was pretty easy, but I don't know if it was easier because I haven't done it in my own. I called and spoke to Anthony Raimo. We discussed the situation and the documents that I had. I scanned them to him and we discussed again. He asked for a few other things.

I sent him all the originals via FedEx (yes, I was marginally uncomfortable about this, but knew I could duplicate everything but the French title). He was very communicative along the way and in a few days he told me he had my plates. The next day I had them. He wasn't sure the title would come through, but ultimately it did.

$75 plus the FedEx both ways (and, of course, the state fees). Once the plates were on, I got the state inspection and that was that.

To me, having someone who goes to the dmv and talks to the clerks every day do this for me was easily worth the $75.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2016 06:33 PM ------

By the way, you will need your Italian docs translated. I had my French colleague translate my documents and then had another colleague notarize it with a statement re: the translator's fluency in both languages. I would hardly call it official (although it was totally accurate).
Awesome thank you very much. I will likely use them for $75. My goal is to have it all sorted before I pick it up.

Ok good tip on that. I am having the bill of sale drawn in english, but will have the title translated.

thanks!
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:33 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I did mine in NJ...the only suggestion is take a photo along with the rubbing of the VIN...saves one more trip if they want to see the actual....mine had a scratch on my VIN plate and they thought it was altered...the photo proved it was not...took about an hour and walked out with plates and a title...and in NJ if it is over 25 YO and a diesel it is completely exempt from any inspection...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:02 PM
kemptondefender
Fiona
1988 Defender 110

update from me is that the car is still with customs... it will be two weeks on saturday
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:23 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
update from me is that the car is still with customs... it will be two weeks on saturday
WOW, sorry. Is that long typical? Are they asking for anything?
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:41 PM
kemptondefender
Fiona
1988 Defender 110

According to the broker and shipper yes. They both deal with defenders each week. Today the broker finally was contacted via email by customs to get in contact with them-hoping that means something good.
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Nick&Nora
Matthew Smith
1989/110

Registry
Mine arrived at Newark in early November and was cleared on December 21, although the paperwork came through on the 5th of January. My sense is that that isn't normal. They didn't have any issues with it or ask any questions of me. Doug handled my importation so he may know more, but the impression I have is they were just slow.

It is a waiting game. Wait to find the right truck. Wait to get it prepped to come over. Wait for it to get here. Wait for it to get out of lockup. Wait to see if your title comes in the mail. A trip or two on the highway will help you realize that patience is a virtue, though.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:04 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Mine arrived at Newark in early November and was cleared on December 21, although the paperwork came through on the 5th of January. My sense is that that isn't normal. They didn't have any issues with it or ask any questions of me. Doug handled my importation so he may know more, but the impression I have is they were just slow.

It is a waiting game. Wait to find the right truck. Wait to get it prepped to come over. Wait for it to get here. Wait for it to get out of lockup. Wait to see if your title comes in the mail. A trip or two on the highway will help you realize that patience is a virtue, though.

Ugh my dreams of having this before summer are melting like an ice cube on a hot day. I feel like customs purposefully drags their heels with these things.

Thanks for the advice and stories.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, defender, defender 110, new york