View Poll Results: Options.....
Early Sept 3 60.00%
Mid-Late Sept 2 40.00%
Open Event day 0 0%
Just Rovers 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Tony Brooks
It's rumored that one of the co-owners is the sales manager at LR Chantilly. Jason, yes, they don't allow kids unless (apparently) you reserve the place as a group.

EXPO Review
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM
Jason Lavender
D-90 Source Vendor
So...we hit this today. While it was certainly no Rausch or Cove, we actually had a bit of fun. No issues with kids at all, though they did say kids under 8 (or Pedro) have to wear a helmet (which we did not have, and wasn't a problem).

A lot of roads are just "access" roads, or trails winding through the woods (VERY tight), but there were some fun riverbed trails and if you turned around and ran them backwards proved winch-line worthy (cough, cough....Galpin!). We did it one way, turned around to run it backwards as one of the park staff came up and said "uh, you probably need to run it the other way that's the way it's able to be done" to which I responded "we just did, now we're running it backwards to have some fun". Which is where Galpin had to pull some line.

Lot's of mud, but not mud pits per se but rather just slippery slopes and gets a little slick (which makes for some fun). There was also a little hill climb (Hinks Hill or something) that had a nice little "bump" about 1/2 to 2/3rds up...which I didn't make, and had to back down (more because it was slick & clay). Same drill for Doug & Galpin. Though a woman in a long JK did make it up with some big-ass tires that kept some grip and probably the benefit of modern technology of traction control/etc probably helped out (and a little guidance from the man upstairs since her quote to me was essentially "I sort of blacked out about 1/2 way up and just punched it and don't really remember what happened). Then she turned around to come down, and once gravity took hold she really started sliding....and instead of taking the spotter advice and us frantically pointing which way to steer she turned WITH the skid and literally came down the last 1/3 of the hill sideways - it is the closest I've ever been to seeing someone roll it. I still can't figure out how she didn't flop it on it's side (and it was only 3 months old).

Then one of the park staff (sans helmet I might add) tried to go up it in a 4-wheeler...hit the bump at the top, stood it up, feet popped off, and it stayed suspended in mid-air for what seemed like forever while we were shouting at him to get the hell out of the way. He stepped aside literally just in time and the thing came tumbling all the way down (bashed to hell). Luckily he was ok. So...wasn't really thinking it'd be much, but ended up being sort of a fun day.

Oh yeah, and Doug S. ripped off his entire exhaust and Billy shattered a rear side window on the Disco. Fun! And it turns out that a ripped off Disco2 exhaust & resonator make a hell of a lunch spot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3638781660.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	665.1 KB
ID:	89046  

Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE
(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")
SDO Instagram
SDO Facebook
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3
Pics of carnage!
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:29 PM
300Tdi 95 D1
I'm sure the D2 sounded delightful with that much exhaust ripped off! Hope they drove home with a window cracked
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
Awesome. Thanks for the report.
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:18 PM
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Sounds like you guys had some fun! Thanks for the trip write up.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:07 PM
1997 D90
For those of you in NOVA, I see from their FB page that Red Cloud is closed until further notice, effective immediately.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat