Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 25th, 2015, 02:04 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Recommendations for shipping large parts

Looking for some info on shipping large items. I'll be breaking up some large items to sell here pretty soon and have never shipped anything too large.

First example would be: Shipping Complete Doors

Thanks in advance for all feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2015, 02:08 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Use the Fastenal store to store shipping program. I had a pair of doors dropped at a store in Texas and delivered to Vermont for $150. I also shipped a set of 4 doors to Alabama for $150 so that seems to be the base rate. There is an on-line form you can fill out to get a quote.
Old October 25th, 2015, 02:48 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third...logistics-(3pl)

If you don't hear back from them within a few days with your shipping quote assume your request has been lost in an e-mail black hole.

Here is the # for Corporate 3rd Party Logistics Coordinator so you can call direct (855) 798-5695

motor from SC to TX= $175
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2015, 03:16 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
That sounds like some impressive shipping rates. I'll give them a ring tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the info!
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:37 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Has anyone ever shipped a small motorcycle (vintage 2-stroke 250cc dirt bike that weighs around 225 lbs) via Fastenall? The bike is not running but fully assembled and rolls easily. I was wondering if we could do a Roll On/Roll Off type arrangement or if it needs to be strapped to a pallet. Shipping from Illinois to Georgia.
Old October 25th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Has anyone ever shipped a small motorcycle (vintage 2-stroke 250cc dirt bike that weighs around 225 lbs) via Fastenall? The bike is not running but fully assembled and rolls easily. I was wondering if we could do a Roll On/Roll Off type arrangement or if it needs to be strapped to a pallet. Shipping from Illinois to Georgia.
I would not risk it even if they would agree to do it. Put it on a pallet and build a crate around it.
Where in Illinois is it? If your not in a rush, I could RURR it to you.
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:20 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
I would not risk it even if they would agree to do it. Put it on a pallet and build a crate around it.
Where in Illinois is it? If your not in a rush, I could RURR it to you.
Bike is in Springfield, Illinois - still trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on it but its something I've wanted for a while.
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:29 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
If you're going to try and ship from east to west, good luck. Fastenal says their system is overburdened with shipments from east to west, and they are not accepting any shipments at this time. I just tried recently.
Maybe you'll have better luck.
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:26 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
If I run into problems with Fastenal then what other options are there for shipping large items? There's gotta be other sources for getting large shit sent around the country.

Has anyone shipped doors before and not used Fastenal? Shipped bulkheads?....etc.....
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:50 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

I've used Forward Air Freight (FAF). They ship from the warehouse to warehouse in each city and you pick up your freight from the warehouse. I used to take my freight to them, they would weigh it and give me a price to ship, then I would go pick up a money order at Kmart and bring it back. No personal checks or credit cards. Prices were good imho
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:58 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Chris asked for some info on shipping doors via Fastenal so I will post it here in case anyone refers to this thread in the future for info. I can also confirm the comment above about westbound shipments - they are not accepting any right now. The guy I deal with at logistics said to try back in a month.
To package doors safely I took two pallets and put them together in an L shape. Then I used some 2x4's to help attach the pallets together and provide protection on the sides. The vertical pallet will give you a good flat surface to strap the doors to. I put cardboard on the bottom pallet and around each door - then shrunk wrapped the doors to the vertical pallet (see photo). There are 4 Series III doors on the pallet in the photo. The pallets probably weigh more than the doors.
The most important thing is to make sure that they can't put anything on top of the pallet. If you build a crate or anything with a flat top make it bomb proof because they will put an elephant on top of your package when it is in the truck. A tepee shape is best.
I estimated the weight at 200 pounds with the pallets. I think that is under the minimum anyway so the charge might be the same if you said 300. Everything I have shipped has always been $150 store to store as long as it is not bigger than a pallet (my experience anyway). I was able to get this pallet out of my van at the store myself so it could not have been too much heavier - they never checked the weight. If you don't have a truck or van you could build this pallet system in their parking lot and let them bring it in with a pallet jack.
One nice thing about Fastenal is that there are no hidden fees. If I had shipped this LTL the surcharges and re-weigh fees alone would have been more than $150 and the shipping charge would have been higher too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at store.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	133146  
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:06 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
Chris asked for some info on shipping doors via Fastenal so I will post it here in case anyone refers to this thread in the future for info. I can also confirm the comment above about westbound shipments - they are not accepting any right now. The guy I deal with at logistics said to try back in a month.
To package doors safely I took two pallets and put them together in an L shape. Then I used some 2x4's to help attach the pallets together and provide protection on the sides. The vertical pallet will give you a good flat surface to strap the doors to. I put cardboard on the bottom pallet and around each door - then shrunk wrapped the doors to the vertical pallet (see photo). There are 4 Series III doors on the pallet in the photo. The pallets probably weigh more than the doors.
The most important thing is to make sure that they can't put anything on top of the pallet. If you build a crate or anything with a flat top make it bomb proof because they will put an elephant on top of your package when it is in the truck. A tepee shape is best.
I estimated the weight at 200 pounds with the pallets. I think that is under the minimum anyway so the charge might be the same if you said 300. Everything I have shipped has always been $150 store to store as long as it is not bigger than a pallet (my experience anyway). I was able to get this pallet out of my van at the store myself so it could not have been too much heavier - they never checked the weight. If you don't have a truck or van you could build this pallet system in their parking lot and let them bring it in with a pallet jack.
One nice thing about Fastenal is that there are no hidden fees. If I had shipped this LTL the surcharges and re-weigh fees alone would have been more than $150 and the shipping charge would have been higher too.

That's killer info right there! Very solid contribution and much appreciated!

One question and pardon my ignorance if this is more obvious than is my understanding, what is...."If I had shipped this LTL the surcharges and re-weigh fees alone would have been more than $150 and the shipping charge would have been higher too." Specifically what is LTL?

Cheers and again, much appreciated!
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
LTL = "Less Than Truckload". So thats Yellow Freight, UPS Freight, Fed Ex Freight, Con-Way, etc. They are not good to deal with unless you can find a business with a loading dock to ship and receive. They usually give businesses a discount as much as 80% off the full rate too so use someone else's account if you have to ship LTL. Even with my 80% discount at work the Fastenal program is cheaper.
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Great! Thanks again.
Old October 26th, 2015, 11:16 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
If anyone else has some options they use please add them in here. If Fastenal not delivering west/east for a month then maybe there is another company out there that is taking some of that business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
part, parts, shipping