Rebuilding a "restored" Defender from Land Rover Import/Duncan Goodchild - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's very likely that they installed the springs wrong. Also find out what brand you have. They should be labelled. In general the drivers side should sit slightly higher so that when only the driver is in the vehicle it should more or less level out.

Before I replaced my OME springs I had a similar tilt to the "wrong" aside as you do. I actually ended up install the taller springs on the left side in order to rectify this.
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:39 AM
eco 45
Scott Oncken
running or non?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
It's very likely that they installed the springs wrong.
Springs are not installed wrong....just starting to fatigue. I am guessing all the bouncing on the trailer on the trip home and then the very brief road test were the final blows to very tired springs. Luckily I do have a set from a low mileage 110 for the front....going to order some rears and new shocks while I am at it.

He did install the rear brake pads incorrectly. If you haven't done drums before here is a good read:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...rearbrakes.htm

On new springs there is sometimes a difference between the passenger vs the driver but the majority of the time it is only slight and not very noticeable when standing looking at the truck. If a spring manufacture is having to offset the sides by 2 inches it time to stay away from the sweets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sisters, OR
541-550-6300
eco 45 on all forums
Old September 7th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Old one,but still valid IMO ;for reference,I too have had experience with Mr Goodchild to which I found him very,very dodgy indeed,relative to my particular circumstances i.e. a reconditioned engine that turned out not to be.

I have caught him out on a few things that he was supposed to have done to my LR,that he said he did and upon inspection turned out he hadn't.....take care ....very amateur work.

My radar should've pinged when he told me LT77 gearboxes are filled with EP90...ho hum.

If any one is even remotely interested I can post my experience and what he fleeced me for....all this to say ....I'd be very,very wary of dealing with him in any way shape or form.

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2015, 08:30 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I don't understand what this thread is about. Nothing in the sellers ad talks about cosmetic or electrical fixes. The buyer only complains about cosmetic and electrical problems.

Of all the items listed in the ad, were any specifically not true? Was the chassis new and galvanized? Were the tranny engine and tcase rebuilt? Did you see photos of the truck before you bought it?

It sounds like you bought it sight unseen and 5 years later? Help me understand the logic.
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I don't understand what this thread is about. Nothing in the sellers ad talks about cosmetic or electrical fixes. The buyer only complains about cosmetic and electrical problems. Of all the items listed in the ad, were any specifically not true? Was the chassis new and galvanized? Were the tranny engine and tcase rebuilt? Did you see photos of the truck before you bought it? It sounds like you bought it sight unseen and 5 years later? Help me understand the logic.
Three year old thread on a truck imported as you say five years ago.
What would be interesting is to see what the OP has done to it in the last three years

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Point of the thread was the character of the seller which seems to have been lost in the minutiae.
I haven't heard Duncan's name in a few years so perhaps he's gone back down his rabbit hole.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 03:38 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
....and so it goes full circle for some...Get a coffee for this one....yes it's an old thread but he's still fleecing people....if he had advertised the 110 as having just a second hand engine installed all would be fine.

I bought a 110 from rovernuttz,you'll see his poorly written adverts on ebay uk,a while back operating under Land Rover Import dot com....It was supposed to have had a reconditioned 200tdi Disco engine it it. I wanted the LR for bringing in wood and for my son to drive.

Traveled to pick it up. Upon arrival and starting I pointed out the water pump bearing was chirping. First warning sign. Requested list of parts put into the engine to prove it was reconditioned. He stated 'someone else did the work for me' and I'll get it for you later;OK I took it that he'd post the receipt after the other entity got it sorted as he said he would. (year and a half later I get it)..sort of.

Truck was running fine apart from the pump and the chassis was as clean as it was when it came out fo the factory. Body very straight and bulkhead no rust at the usual spots. I also noticed he had straight water in the radiator and not coolant. Ho hum. He had a new radiator installed,stating he'd pinged the older one with a drill whilst installing the electric fan support surround.

I of course had the choice to not to buy it but based on what I saw along with the promise of getting me a breakdown of the work to prove reconditioning. I drove it home via a LR parts place in Plymouth after I bought a pump in case it broke en route.

Upon getting the LR home and after about 2weeks I spy front and rear crankshaft oil seal leaks and blue smoke on overrun....vazlve stem oil seals....I asked if the timing belt been done and he stated that it was. I could see silicon on the timing cover and wondered why a paper gasket wouldn't have been used,then thought perhaps it had been torn in fitting or something.The rear brake cover plate on one side had been replaced and the bolts not tightened.

Of course when I arrived to pick the truck up he stated the rear axle had been reconditioned. On carrying out forum searches this seems to be a standers sales pitch also. A few weeks later I had to replace all the hub seals. Closer inspection also showed that the engine mountings had no nuts on them to keep the engine secure.

The comical part of the whole affair was when I sprouted a radiator leak and upon inspecting I find that he had actually pinged the new radiator with he drill and cut a small square of plastic about 1cm square....put some glue on it and pushed it onto the hole. This was made even more ludicrous by the fact he sprayed it with silver alloy paint complete with overspray to hide it. Later when pulled on it,he stated a professional radiator repair company carried out the repair. Of course I stated that either the company,who he wouldn't give me the name of,did that unprofessionally or he as a business owner accepted it and that in itself illustrated his incompetence.

Mentioning incompetence...he had also fitted the engine (with a 300turbo and inlet manifold) but didn't check to see if the steering column bolt touched or fouled anything..........of course one turbo later after the inlet hose had been rubbed though by the bolt as mentioned and had been sucking in dust.....a turbo was not offered when brought to his attention but a turbo seal kit. After frequent requests for same,even culminating with 'I thought I posted that to you' a year and a half later I get the seal kit as I do with the receipt.

Receipt;This was made up by him and not the other entity ....and guess what?..of course there was no breakdown let along receipts of parts thrown at the engine...only a price.

I pointed out that other companies supply a breakdown list of parts or list standard checks they carry out on their website. He stated that when he sends engines to the USA he never even gives a breakdown in that instance smiling that they never ask for it.

I only received this later under the guise of selling the 110 and would need a receipt to prove to the new buyers that work had been done. I ask how does he ever know the work has been done and he stated he just accepts his suppliers word. Great. I stated that his supplier will have a breakdown of parts and to get it. In fact I eventually ask him if I was to sell the 110 I'd have to then advertise it as 'having a lift out drop in disco 200tdi engine of indeterminate mileage' and he agreed such.

I also ask about how with about 2000kms on the motor that the front and rear seals leak if there were new seals fitted. He said they do that sometimes. ?? lol

I asked him later if he had installed the Steve Parker bolt kit at the bell housing to avoid flex and thus rear crankshaft oil seal leaks and he did not tell me if he had.

Later he stated that if I drove the 110 back to the UK I could watch him take the engine apart and see what it was like inside. Of course he knew that such a ridiculous offer would cost me more to go and come back than another new engine. As for the LR leaks he stated that it could've been my fault as I was using the 110 for work and questioned whether I had it serviced properly ?? I didn't get that connection as it leaked a short time after returning by autoroute... I bit weird.

I could see the rhetoric one gets from a used car dealer coming to the fore; customer didn't do this or that blah blah,which doesn't overwrite the original problems... crank seals leaking after 2000kms etc and en engine that was not reconditioned as advertised.

Later I ask him for the average difference in a second hand engine and that of a recon engine,approx £1200 to which he refused. Later I also pointed out that on his eBay adverts he stated that he never uses silicon ever in his rebuilds ....so that proves he never did the timing belt on mine.

Things still to do....timing belt and seals and now I have to put a new clutch in it; He stated he checked it and it was fine,which it was until after 25000kms it slips..no problem with that..but one would question why would one not install a new clutch anyway before you put a 'lift out drop in engine' in to at least avoid the customer coming back after 1000kms or .......not.

One will also find that he states in his website that 'we' recondition engines.....it is a one man outfit with no certificates or diplomas etc on show. He is not to BS standard and not a member of the federation of engine builders......he operates from farm barns and outbuildings and when I picked my 110 he was being in the middle of being ejected form the outbuilding he was renting.

There is no fixed telephone number with only a mobile number and he will only answer emails when its convenient for him to do so. The only fixed address that that I know of that he uses is student accommodation in Bristol rather than his outbuilding farm address.

Who in business these days does not have a fixed number. He also prefers cash over anything else. He also is not a time- served mechanic by trade.

He does not use his full name on Facebook and would be hard to find if one was looking for business but only uses 'Duncan James' rather than Duncan Goodchild etc

Trading standards have been informed.

So,all that to say....pay the money and drive off in a properly recon engine from the federation of engine rebuilders
Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:04 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Hey, sorry to read the troubles you've experienced. As I read your post it strikes me that you have a fairly solid knowledge base. Hopefully this was picked up as you worked through the trials that this experience put you through. It is disappointing to be treated this way I know but at the end of the day it will probably pay for itself in some other phase of life. Either directly in the Rover community or some other way. Good Luck and I hope you get things sorted and can enjoy your Rover soon.

Old February 14th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Hey, sorry to read the troubles you've experienced. As I read your post it strikes me that you have a fairly solid knowledge base. Hopefully this was picked up as you worked through the trials that this experience put you through. It is disappointing to be treated this way I know but at the end of the day it will probably pay for itself in some other phase of life. Either directly in the Rover community or some other way. Good Luck and I hope you get things sorted and can enjoy your Rover soon.

Thank you for the kind words. The usual applies..the further you go the more likely you are to buy.

Having said that,the crux of the matter was 'reconditioned engine' as opposed to 'lift out- drop in engine of indeterminate mileage' I paid for a recon engine but alas the price of action outlays the difference of the scam. I am driving same daily.

I replace my clutch this week after bell housing bolts arrive;you'll recall he wouldn't say whether or not he fitted those...I suspect not or he wouldv'e mentioned it. Disco to Defender LT77 is a different fit.

If not installed ,it again illustrates IMO,the amateur aspect of a non qualified mechanic proffering up engines such as this. Flex will allow the rear seal to weep,as mine does.....never replaced or a culmination of both.

Having said all of that,at least with a lift our drop in engine I'd know to replace a few things. Not a big deal..but I wouldn't expect to pay the price difference. I suspect also that my next job will have to be a timing belt change.

Imagine the cost of checking all of the above if one was not a mechanic.

Anyhow....based on how he smiled and laughed at 'Americans not asking for a parts breakdown' and believing what they were told....I'd be incredibly cautious.

I have offered to meet him so he could prove I was wrong and that I could call him a liar and cheat to his face, but the last time he was in the next village to me he didn't take me up on the offer. Strange that?

That in itself is a confirmation that he is a scammer....after all,if he could come forward with proof to protect his reputation he'd surely take the opportunity to prove another person was wrong and 'stick to his guns'?

This cross over post show more suspicion of dodgy dealings with Goodchild if one reads close to the end of the thread. At least he knows what it feels like to get scammed

300tdi replacement recon engine from where? - Defender Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

It should be noted also that he has to now leave the UK and he's seeking to start up the same work here in France. To date thats been Canada the USA and the UK.

I will look forward to meeting up with him again very much so.

All the best

Old February 14th, 2016, 03:53 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I came very close to purchasing a 200tdi engine from Duncan and exchanged a lot of emails. He does sell on ebay and advertises on his own website.

I didn't get a good vibe from the guy and went with a guy named Mark Prinold. I think he owns some shop of sort. He has been pretty good with communications with me thus far when I had trouble with customs and delivery issues.

I am in the process of restoring partially restored 110 (Restoration started in UK) and I am surprised about the quality of work put in previously, missing bolts, or bolts that are coming lose.... Hope you would get some resolution but thanks for making sure this is known so that this scam artist won't find more business with us enthusiasts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import, rebuild