Reason # 39 to buy 94 or 95 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:00 AM
kevincdoyle's Avatar
kevincdoyle
Status: Online
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK USA
Posts: 864
Registry
Reason # 39 to buy 94 or 95 D90

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/12...ntcmp=HPBucket

Perhaps a repost...
__________________
Attributed to Shayne...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,780
http://youtu.be/AidAXgq9dWc?list=PLo...3Kz_8JjLH-Nxp7
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Pop the LT230 quickly into neutral and you'll stop even those car jackers that know how to drive stick.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
LuisC's Avatar
LuisC
Status: Offline
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,Texas USA
Posts: 1,899
Registry
One of many dying talents. The ability to drive a manual.
Soon, passionate driving will be gone with people going to cars that drive and park themselves.
Then people can text, smoke, read, and apply makeup while on the road without the distraction of driving.
__________________
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:58 PM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,081
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Pop the LT230 quickly into neutral and you'll stop even those car jackers that know how to drive stick.
my go to defense too when parking in the city.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:17 PM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
my go to defense too when parking in the city.
Now that's a good idea! I'll start doing that. I have been using a cinched cable lock through my e-brake lever and back to the cage bars behind the cubby. Nice and taught! This is for when I'm topless in the city so to keep meddling kids from releasing the hand brake and watching my truck roll to disaster!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
One of many dying talents. The ability to drive a manual. Soon, passionate driving will be gone with people going to cars that drive and park themselves. Then people can text, smoke, read, and apply makeup while on the road without the distraction of driving.
3 Pedals!!! It's the only way to drive! A guy in the building of my parents condo has a DBS with three pedals! Perfect setup! That's a real British sports car! "Non-spirited drivers need not apply!" Every time I see F1 style setups in nice sports cars I can't help but think of the poser who drives it...hide! ;-) I know they're faster double clutch systems, but the feel is completely lost! I know it's not the same thing as a late 90's 355 F1, but seeing that little 4 position shifter where the crude, but awesome, 6-speed gate should be just makes me think SDS!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM
ssi19's Avatar
ssi19
Status: Offline
scott
1995/D90
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 982
I still can't understand why the manual tranny defender doesn't carry a higher premium. If you remove the "I want my wife to be able to drive it factor" (yes even I have said this one), the manual tranny is truly a dying breed. I think only 1 or 2 production cars in the US still offer truly manual (talking stick, not paddle shifters)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM
LuisC's Avatar
LuisC
Status: Offline
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,Texas USA
Posts: 1,899
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
3 Pedals!!! It's the only way to drive! A guy in the building of my parents condo has a DBS with three pedals! Perfect setup! That's a real British sports car! "Non-spirited drivers need not apply!" Every time I see F1 style setups in nice sports cars I can't help but think of the poser who drives it...hide! ;-) I know they're faster double clutch systems, but the feel is completely lost! I know it's not the same thing as a late 90's 355 F1, but seeing that little 4 position shifter where the crude, but awesome, 6-speed gate should be just makes me think SDS!
I don't know if I could drive a car with paddle shifts. I'm falling behind in technology.
I guess another sign of the times. I'll stay old school.
__________________
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
I still can't understand why the manual tranny defender doesn't carry a higher premium. If you remove the "I want my wife to be able to drive it factor" (yes even I have said this one), the manual tranny is truly a dying breed. I think only 1 or 2 production cars in the US still offer truly manual (talking stick, not paddle shifters)
I'm covered! My wife prefers to drive stick! No comments necessary! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
3 Pedals!!! It's the only way to drive! A guy in the building of my parents condo has a DBS with three pedals! Perfect setup! That's a real British sports car! "Non-spirited drivers need not apply!" Every time I see F1 style setups in nice sports cars I can't help but think of the poser who drives it...hide! ;-) I know they're faster double clutch systems, but the feel is completely lost! I know it's not the same thing as a late 90's 355 F1, but seeing that little 4 position shifter where the crude, but awesome, 6-speed gate should be just makes me think SDS!
As an Owner ( Past and Present ) of sport cars that came / come with Gated Shifter and F1 , well you can claim to be Nikki Lauda, but there is no way you can gate up or down manually as fast as you can with F1
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:59 PM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
As an Owner ( Past and Present ) of sport cars that came / come with Gated Shifter and F1 , well you can claim to be Nikki Lauda, but there is no way you can gate up or down manually as fast as you can with F1
Agreed! F1 is superior, in every way... Except feel and the masculine vestiges of spirited motoring.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Agreed! F1 is superior, in every way... Except feel and the masculine vestiges of spirited motoring.

Nothing wrong with my masculinity.. further more.. I feel pretty mach leaving behind those who thing a Gated Shifter is a better choice

As far a spirited motoring, the F1 transmission takes all the amount of finessing until you can manage it properly of course if you drive the vehicle as intended and not just to " Cars and Coffee "
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM
chuckc4
Status: Offline
chuck b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 517
All of the cars I don't want my wife to drive are manual....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
I still can't understand why the manual tranny defender doesn't carry a higher premium. If you remove the "I want my wife to be able to drive it factor" (yes even I have said this one), the manual tranny is truly a dying breed. I think only 1 or 2 production cars in the US still offer truly manual (talking stick, not paddle shifters)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Nothing wrong with my masculinity.. further more.. I feel pretty mach leaving behind those who thing a Gated Shifter is a better choice As far a spirited motoring, the F1 transmission takes all the amount of finessing until you can manage it properly of course if you drive the vehicle as intended and not just to " Cars and Coffee "
Of course not my good man. I'm referring to the masculinity of the bio-mechanical connection between man and machine, not just the need for speed. It's the knowledge that each entity must work in concert to stave off disaster; mangled transmissions or mangled bodies! When played properly, especially with waste gate exhausts, music is made. It's a masculine notion to desire that kind of risk and reward. Time is gained but much is lost driving today's motoring computers.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:03 PM
kevincdoyle's Avatar
kevincdoyle
Status: Online
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK USA
Posts: 864
Registry
I've got two paddle cars and rarely if ever use it. Although I can see how becoming accustomed to it would make it exciting.

I can't tell you how many times my better half has jumped in one to run to grocery store and turned around saying"something is wrong with this car, it sounds funny"

Wonder how many times that rev limiter bounced!

I like both for what it's worth... But there is something about a manual...
__________________
Attributed to Shayne...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:34 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Now that's a good idea! I'll start doing that. I have been using a cinched cable lock through my e-brake lever and back to the cage bars behind the cubby. Nice and taught! This is for when I'm topless in the city so to keep meddling kids from releasing the hand brake and watching my truck roll to disaster!
Damn - that's a really good idea with the prop shaft lock lever.

------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2014 10:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
my go to defense too when parking in the city.
I am sure I got that tip from you or someone else on the board originally, haha

------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2014 10:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
my go to defense too when parking in the city.
I am sure I got that tip from you or someone else on the board originally, haha
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:18 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Of course not my good man. I'm referring to the masculinity of the bio-mechanical connection between man and machine, not just the need for speed. It's the knowledge that each entity must work in concert to stave off disaster; mangled transmissions or mangled bodies! When played properly, especially with waste gate exhausts, music is made. It's a masculine notion to desire that kind of risk and reward. Time is gained but much is lost driving today's motoring computers.
This. I know today's auto gearboxes are faster/superior/etc to manuals but...

And yea Goose that F1 shifter I am sure is the tits. But I would never ever see a driving situation where it would be put to its limits. For public roads I think I would have more fun trying to get the most out of an old Audi, BMW or Saab.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:25 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
The thing I hate about most autos is you cannot lock them in top gear on the highway. I drive in 5th or 6th in a manual and would prefer to do that in an auto too.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
This. I know today's auto gearboxes are faster/superior/etc to manuals but...

And yea Goose that F1 shifter I am sure is the tits. But I would never ever see a driving situation where it would be put to its limits. For public roads I think I would have more fun trying to get the most out of an old Audi, BMW or Saab.

LOL

Don,

That is exactly what I wanted to tell the Judge " Your Honor, while that alleged speed on my citation might seem excessive, I can assure you I had plenty to go " LMAO

But now you are taking the vehicle out of the equation, we were comparing F1 / E- Gear to Gated Shifter, I know I have red-lined my cars on more than one occasion, I have no problem to admit wasn't too smart on a pubic road

Now you are throwing daily cars that their tiptronic is just an auto manual far far away from the aforementioned trans and can obtain 60% of the power at best
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, 95, d90

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BEST REASON EVER! to buy Bilsteins silby32 Misc. Chit-Chat 6 April 2nd, 2014 11:26 AM
One more reason to drive a D90 brn24whl Misc. Chit-Chat 11 May 9th, 2007 01:45 PM
reason to drink beer jimmy salmon Misc. Chit-Chat 20 May 7th, 2007 02:31 AM
Yet another reason to love your defender cgalpin Misc. Chit-Chat 3 May 12th, 2005 01:46 PM
Any reason not to double clutch? mspell Defender Technical Discussions 16 September 16th, 2004 01:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Copyright