"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

http://youtu.be/AidAXgq9dWc?list=PLo...3Kz_8JjLH-Nxp7

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Pop the LT230 quickly into neutral and you'll stop even those car jackers that know how to drive stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
One of many dying talents. The ability to drive a manual.
Soon, passionate driving will be gone with people going to cars that drive and park themselves.
Then people can text, smoke, read, and apply makeup while on the road without the distraction of driving.
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:58 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Pop the LT230 quickly into neutral and you'll stop even those car jackers that know how to drive stick.
my go to defense too when parking in the city.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:17 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Now that's a good idea! I'll start doing that. I have been using a cinched cable lock through my e-brake lever and back to the cage bars behind the cubby. Nice and taught! This is for when I'm topless in the city so to keep meddling kids from releasing the hand brake and watching my truck roll to disaster!
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
One of many dying talents. The ability to drive a manual. Soon, passionate driving will be gone with people going to cars that drive and park themselves. Then people can text, smoke, read, and apply makeup while on the road without the distraction of driving.
3 Pedals!!! It's the only way to drive! A guy in the building of my parents condo has a DBS with three pedals! Perfect setup! That's a real British sports car! "Non-spirited drivers need not apply!" Every time I see F1 style setups in nice sports cars I can't help but think of the poser who drives it...hide! ;-) I know they're faster double clutch systems, but the feel is completely lost! I know it's not the same thing as a late 90's 355 F1, but seeing that little 4 position shifter where the crude, but awesome, 6-speed gate should be just makes me think SDS!
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I still can't understand why the manual tranny defender doesn't carry a higher premium. If you remove the "I want my wife to be able to drive it factor" (yes even I have said this one), the manual tranny is truly a dying breed. I think only 1 or 2 production cars in the US still offer truly manual (talking stick, not paddle shifters)
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
3 Pedals!!! It's the only way to drive! A guy in the building of my parents condo has a DBS with three pedals! Perfect setup! That's a real British sports car! "Non-spirited drivers need not apply!" Every time I see F1 style setups in nice sports cars I can't help but think of the poser who drives it...hide! ;-) I know they're faster double clutch systems, but the feel is completely lost! I know it's not the same thing as a late 90's 355 F1, but seeing that little 4 position shifter where the crude, but awesome, 6-speed gate should be just makes me think SDS!
I don't know if I could drive a car with paddle shifts. I'm falling behind in technology.
I guess another sign of the times. I'll stay old school.
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
I still can't understand why the manual tranny defender doesn't carry a higher premium. If you remove the "I want my wife to be able to drive it factor" (yes even I have said this one), the manual tranny is truly a dying breed. I think only 1 or 2 production cars in the US still offer truly manual (talking stick, not paddle shifters)
I'm covered! My wife prefers to drive stick! No comments necessary! ;-)
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
As an Owner ( Past and Present ) of sport cars that came / come with Gated Shifter and F1 , well you can claim to be Nikki Lauda, but there is no way you can gate up or down manually as fast as you can with F1
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:59 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
As an Owner ( Past and Present ) of sport cars that came / come with Gated Shifter and F1 , well you can claim to be Nikki Lauda, but there is no way you can gate up or down manually as fast as you can with F1
Agreed! F1 is superior, in every way... Except feel and the masculine vestiges of spirited motoring.
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Agreed! F1 is superior, in every way... Except feel and the masculine vestiges of spirited motoring.

Nothing wrong with my masculinity.. further more.. I feel pretty mach leaving behind those who thing a Gated Shifter is a better choice

As far a spirited motoring, the F1 transmission takes all the amount of finessing until you can manage it properly of course if you drive the vehicle as intended and not just to " Cars and Coffee "
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

All of the cars I don't want my wife to drive are manual....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Nothing wrong with my masculinity.. further more.. I feel pretty mach leaving behind those who thing a Gated Shifter is a better choice As far a spirited motoring, the F1 transmission takes all the amount of finessing until you can manage it properly of course if you drive the vehicle as intended and not just to " Cars and Coffee "
Of course not my good man. I'm referring to the masculinity of the bio-mechanical connection between man and machine, not just the need for speed. It's the knowledge that each entity must work in concert to stave off disaster; mangled transmissions or mangled bodies! When played properly, especially with waste gate exhausts, music is made. It's a masculine notion to desire that kind of risk and reward. Time is gained but much is lost driving today's motoring computers.
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:03 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
I've got two paddle cars and rarely if ever use it. Although I can see how becoming accustomed to it would make it exciting.

I can't tell you how many times my better half has jumped in one to run to grocery store and turned around saying"something is wrong with this car, it sounds funny"

Wonder how many times that rev limiter bounced!

I like both for what it's worth... But there is something about a manual...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Now that's a good idea! I'll start doing that. I have been using a cinched cable lock through my e-brake lever and back to the cage bars behind the cubby. Nice and taught! This is for when I'm topless in the city so to keep meddling kids from releasing the hand brake and watching my truck roll to disaster!
Damn - that's a really good idea with the prop shaft lock lever.

------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2014 10:35 PM ------

Quote:
I am sure I got that tip from you or someone else on the board originally, haha

------ Follow up post added December 14th, 2014 10:36 PM ------

Quote:
I am sure I got that tip from you or someone else on the board originally, haha
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Of course not my good man. I'm referring to the masculinity of the bio-mechanical connection between man and machine, not just the need for speed. It's the knowledge that each entity must work in concert to stave off disaster; mangled transmissions or mangled bodies! When played properly, especially with waste gate exhausts, music is made. It's a masculine notion to desire that kind of risk and reward. Time is gained but much is lost driving today's motoring computers.
This. I know today's auto gearboxes are faster/superior/etc to manuals but...

And yea Goose that F1 shifter I am sure is the tits. But I would never ever see a driving situation where it would be put to its limits. For public roads I think I would have more fun trying to get the most out of an old Audi, BMW or Saab.
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The thing I hate about most autos is you cannot lock them in top gear on the highway. I drive in 5th or 6th in a manual and would prefer to do that in an auto too.
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
This. I know today's auto gearboxes are faster/superior/etc to manuals but...

And yea Goose that F1 shifter I am sure is the tits. But I would never ever see a driving situation where it would be put to its limits. For public roads I think I would have more fun trying to get the most out of an old Audi, BMW or Saab.

LOL

Don,

That is exactly what I wanted to tell the Judge " Your Honor, while that alleged speed on my citation might seem excessive, I can assure you I had plenty to go " LMAO

But now you are taking the vehicle out of the equation, we were comparing F1 / E- Gear to Gated Shifter, I know I have red-lined my cars on more than one occasion, I have no problem to admit wasn't too smart on a pubic road

Now you are throwing daily cars that their tiptronic is just an auto manual far far away from the aforementioned trans and can obtain 60% of the power at best

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, 95, d90