really neat defender stuff - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

really neat defender stuff

I recently contacted a company called X-eng in regards to some of their land rover stuff.. they have this really neat detatchable rear stabiliser bar system that I REALLY want..as well as some really good visual anti-theft devices for Defenders.. land Rover Defenders are supposedly the 2nd highest stolen vehicle in the UK..and I think the numbers were something like 10 stolen every day... holy poop.. Look into them, they may get you a decent discount on your insurance also.. they also do this great door latch piece that stops your pants and belt loops from getting caught going in and out of the truck..I have wasted 3 pairs of jeans already... very annoying.. If you guys e-mail em let them know that I brought your attention to them...I am not affiliated with them yet but I am really looking into trying a bunch of their products..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Here's one of the door latches that Justin posted yesterday

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40460

Looks pretty good
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:46 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Shayne, how many anti theft devices do you have on you rig?
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I wheeled with Si up in Canada a few years back. He's a great guy and I have a bunch of his X-Eng stuff on my truck:
- Rear X-Arms
- Rear X-Joints
- X-Ball
- X-Deflex Kit
- X Brake
- X-Eng radiator plug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:20 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
Shayne, how many anti theft devices do you have on you rig?
I have 4 visual deterrent layers and 2 non-visual.. By this I mean, the trick is to make your truck look like its going to be time consuming to steal therefore making the would be thief move on to an easier target.. Like for example a flashing led alarm light in the dash leads the thief to believe there is an alarm, ( even if they open the door and there is no siren they still have in the back of their mind that it has triggered a signal somewhere.. maybe its sent a signal to the over protective defender owner inside the house and he's loading his gun and calling the cops and the coroner as we speak.. lol.) yes it's easy enough to bypass but it takes time and since they don't know what sort of alarm it is increases their chance of being nabbed, the parking brake lock is another layer.. The chain between the doors and the gear shift lock.. Another deterrent, the door sticker stating that all parts are etched and registered, ( makes it difficult to sell the parts off which is what happens to most of these vehicles that get stolen..).. And then there is the non visual deterrents such as the 3 different battery isolators and the fuel cut off solenoid, the tracking device etc etc.. All designed to make it more likely that they get caught, (for example the fuel cutoff solenoid will allow them to start the vehicle bit will only be enough fuel in e lines to get about a mile.. I can tell you that not too many thieves will spend the time to get a broken down truck in the middle of the road going again and they will just abandon it.. Yes I may lose some valuables such as the cb and ham radio etc etc but most valuables are in the overbuilt floor safe or the tuffy box.. Basically it amounts to this.. If my truck is parked next to your truck and mine has these items and yours doesn't ... Well lets just say, it sucks to be you.. Lol..
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
"Just cause you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!" that is quite the set up. I would say the # 1 deterrent I have here in Maine, is that ....well it is Maine. Safest state in the nation! Oh and the fact that everyone knows it is mine and I shoot back.
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I have 4 visual deterrent layers and 2 non-visual.. By this I mean, the trick is to make your truck look like its going to be time consuming to steal therefore making the would be thief move on to an easier target.. Like for example a flashing led alarm light in the dash leads the thief to believe there is an alarm, ( even if they open the door and there is no siren they still have in the back of their mind that it has triggered a signal somewhere.. maybe its sent a signal to the over protective defender owner inside the house and he's loading his gun and calling the cops and the coroner as we speak.. lol.) yes it's easy enough to bypass but it takes time and since they don't know what sort of alarm it is increases their chance of being nabbed, the parking brake lock is another layer.. The chain between the doors and the gear shift lock.. Another deterrent, the door sticker stating that all parts are etched and registered, ( makes it difficult to sell the parts off which is what happens to most of these vehicles that get stolen..).. And then there is the non visual deterrents such as the 3 different battery isolators and the fuel cut off solenoid, the tracking device etc etc.. All designed to make it more likely that they get caught, (for example the fuel cutoff solenoid will allow them to start the vehicle bit will only be enough fuel in e lines to get about a mile.. I can tell you that not too many thieves will spend the time to get a broken down truck in the middle of the road going again and they will just abandon it.. Yes I may lose some valuables such as the cb and ham radio etc etc but most valuables are in the overbuilt floor safe or the tuffy box.. Basically it amounts to this.. If my truck is parked next to your truck and mine has these items and yours doesn't ... Well lets just say, it sucks to be you.. Lol..
Does it take you like 30 minutes to get ready to drive anywhere?

On a serious note...where'd you get the flashing led light from?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Any basic car alarm.. You can only connect what you want to connect and you can connect the siren to chirp if you want upon exit or entry. Giving the impression to anyone surveying the truck that you have an alarm..most thieve will check your truck out prior to stealing it.. See when you come home.. Go to work, how far from the car to your house bedroom work place etc etc... My mis-spent youth taught me a lot to be able to use in later life.. Whoda thunked..Lol..
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

And yes.. If I go into full anti-theft mode it's a pain.. But coming back to the now vacant spot where you left your care is also a but of a bummer.., that's why the visual ones that are always there like the flashing light.. The door sticker even a club on e steering wheel are great as they take next to no time to install, the automatic fuel shut off solenoid automatically engages once the ignition is turned off but at the flick of a switch inside the tuffy box it's permanently shut off... I have a whole thread over on expedition portal showing some of my deterrents if you want... It's in the land rover section and usually at the very top..prepping a camel trophy for around the world.. Makes some interesting reading if you are really bored.. Lol..
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I also did full dark tinting (within legal allowance), which makes it almost impossible to tell what's inside; particularly in the middle and back.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Living in the NYC area I just take the Tcase out of gear and remove the keys as a theft deterrent.

RHD and 5 speed already makes it a low target for theft.
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
I actually read a story somewhere that manual transmission is the number one theft deterrent these days.
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I would be more concerned about stuff getting stolen out of it, then the whole vehicle. But even then i just accept the risk, especially in NYC.
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I would be more concerned about stuff getting stolen out of it, then the whole vehicle. But even then i just accept the risk, especially in NYC.
You also parked 40 minutes from my apt the last time even though there was parking right outside.
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

For anti-theft, just pull off the LR decals and rear badge and replace with JEEP stickers. Done.
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You also parked 40 minutes from my apt the last time even though there was parking right outside.
You said it was temporary lol, i needed the exercise anyway!
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Perhaps he didn't want to be seen with you?

Semper Fi!
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

LOL... There are just some people you just don't need to be a known assosciate of...I guess Josh fits in that category... kinda like the fat girlfriend.. alls well and good until your buddies see you with her...no matter how good she is on her knees...ROTFPML
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
So the fact that I most of the time leave my keys in the ignition is bad?

I just figure most thieves would try and turn the key forward and give up...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
LOL... There are just some people you just don't need to be a known assosciate of...I guess Josh fits in that category... kinda like the fat girlfriend.. alls well and good until your buddies see you with her...no matter how good she is on her knees...ROTFPML
So you are saying Josh is the fat girl?

(just trying to stir the pot for entertainment sake)

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender