really neat defender stuff - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

People steal rovers?
I would figure the goofy ignition and placement of the interior door handles would be enough deterent. Most people can't figure out how to get out of my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
People steal rovers?
I would figure the goofy ignition and placement of the interior door handles would be enough deterent. Most people can't figure out how to get out of my truck.
I have a RHD truck. Sometimes I can't even figure out how to GET IN to my truck. I sometimes catch myself climbing in to the passenger side, then playing it off like I planned to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Technically wouldn't a thief be looking to hotwire the right-hand side of the steering column? That alone may be enough. I love when I drive the D too long and get in the wifes' car and try to stick the key in the left side of the steering column.

Plus...if they did steal it, who the hell would they sell it to? It would bound to be one of us, and Horsey would know who's truck it was immediately and I assume it would be returned to it's rightful owner within 48 hours.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Technically wouldn't a thief be looking to hotwire the right-hand side of the steering column? That alone may be enough. I love when I drive the D too long and get in the wifes' car and try to stick the key in the left side of the steering column.

Plus...if they did steal it, who the hell would they sell it to? It would bound to be one of us, and Horsey would know who's truck it was immediately and I assume it would be returned to it's rightful owner within 48 hours.
It is funny when you get into a different car and try to stick the key in the wrong place. I do it all the time.

Maybe we just need Horsey stickers in the window as theft deterrent?
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Not to get off topic but someone stole my garbage can last nite!!! The garbage can was full of Russian Sage bush trimmings and they not only took the can but all of the trimmings that were sticking out by about 3 feet. I can understand taking a garbage can but why would you take the garbage as well....
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I worry more about damage and the contents than the truck normally. Chances of them getting away with the truck are slim but the contents are easy pickings and the damage they do to high $$ items like doors and tops getting in. Add up how much you have invested in recovery/trail gear, spares, tools, radios, gps', etc. and it’s a pretty penny if some git decides to lift it.

As a soft top there is basically no protection of the contents and they are likely to do more $$ in damage getting in than anything else. It’s never locked but that doesn’t mean they will try the door handle before they break/slash through something else to get in. It’s why I run the fiberglass rather than the soft top generally. It’s a just a little harder to get through and may be more of a deterrent to the slash, snatch and grab crowd.

One of the main reasons the project truck is a hard top. Tinted windows and solid top are the 1st line of defense. Tuffy/Troy boxes and un-named other stuff are the next.
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
I worry more about damage and the contents than the truck normally. Chances of them getting away with the truck are slim but the contents are easy pickings and the damage they do to high $$ items like doors and tops getting in. Add up how much you have invested in recovery/trail gear, spares, tools, radios, gps', etc. and itís a pretty penny if some git decides to lift it.

As a soft top there is basically no protection of the contents and they are likely to do more $$ in damage getting in than anything else. Itís never locked but that doesnít mean they will try the door handle before they break/slash through something else to get in. Itís why I run the fiberglass rather than the soft top generally. Itís a just a little harder to get through and may be more of a deterrent to the slash, snatch and grab crowd.

One of the main reasons the project truck is a hard top. Tinted windows and solid top are the 1st line of defense. Tuffy/Troy boxes and un-named other stuff are the next.

Top is always off...so no entry damage.

Valuables are locked in the tufty and troy box or under the passenger seat which only one of you guys would know to look there...

Keys are mostly in the ignition...unless I am somewhere I am concerned about...which is not many places.

The worst I have had happen is that someone threw a chewed on corn cob into the truck at a fair.

Dave

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake
The worst I have had happen is that someone threw a chewed on corn cob into the truck at a fair.
Good thing they didn't hide a half eaten turkey leg behind the seat.
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Most vehicles are stolen for parts here, so there is not much of a market for stolen Defenders in Montreal... also, I get really noticed by LEO's who roll down their windows to ask me about my truck at intersections, most often by the SWAT unit.

I think you would have to be crazy to steal my truck. In any case, it is well insured.
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
While in the UK my host blocked in my defenders with Vauxhall's etc. The likelyhood of theft was high.

FYI they break the plastic column shrouds witch a screw driver and use a pipe wrench on the then exposed ingnition cylinder to brek it away from the steering and to break the switch away from the lock cyl. Litteraly gone in 60 seconds unless you use a club or similar which are quite common there.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
While in the UK my host blocked in my defenders with Vauxhall's etc. The likelyhood of theft was high.

FYI they break the plastic column shrouds witch a screw driver and use a pipe wrench on the then exposed ingnition cylinder to brek it away from the steering and to break the switch away from the lock cyl. Litteraly gone in 60 seconds unless you use a club or similar which are quite common there.
So what I'm hearing is I should ditch the day job and start making the rounds with a pipe wrench?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
One of the things I love about my '64 Porsche 356 is that it has a built in gearshift lock with its own key. Quite clever for 1964.
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
So what I'm hearing is I should ditch the day job and start making the rounds with a pipe wrench?
Until you get caught and go to federal pound me in the ass prison.

Semper Fi!
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Until you get caught and go to federal pound me in the ass prison.
Fine I'll just stick with my "Jump to Conclusions" mat then.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Top is always off...so no entry damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post

Valuables are locked in the tufty and troy box or under the passenger seat which only one of you guys would know to look there...

Keys are mostly in the ignition...unless I am somewhere I am concerned about...which is not many places.

Dave

Depends where you are, what you use it for and carry in it I guess. Mine is mostly a trail rig and is loaded down with 'stuff' most of the time as itís a royal PITA to pack and unpack it all the time. Parking it outside a restaurant or somewhere that I canít keep an eye on it at the end of a day on the trail is where I worry about it most. 2 GPSí, 2 Radios, a laptop, spares, fluids, tools, recovery gear, powertank, etc. make for a tempting target and isnít easily packed away in a tuffy/troy or under a seat....

Running topless in AZ is not fun for most of the year. When the air temp is well over 100 deg the Ďwind in your faceí is not so pleasantÖ
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post

Depends where you are, what you use it for and carry in it I guess. Mine is mostly a trail rig and is loaded down with 'stuff' most of the time as itís a royal PITA to pack and unpack it all the time. Parking it outside a restaurant or somewhere that I canít keep an eye on it at the end of a day on the trail is where I worry about it most. 2 GPSí, 2 Radios, a laptop, spares, fluids, tools, recovery gear, powertank, etc. make for a tempting target and isnít easily packed away in a tuffy/troy or under a seat....

Running topless in AZ is not fun for most of the year. When the air temp is well over 100 deg the Ďwind in your faceí is not so pleasantÖ
Daily driver and occasional trail rig.

I am not over-board on the recovery gear...so it all fits in the Troy box.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS