Realistic Asking Price? 1972 SIII on CL - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:21 AM
1985 D110 Ex-MOD & a few others
D-90 Source Vendor
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
88's are small though and you are not so you might wanna try sitting in one and see how it feels.

I need to catch whatever disease you have that made you skinny.

2007 Range Rover L322 - 4.4L HSE LUX
2003 D2 - Monte Carlo Blue 2" TF lift
1991 RRC Hunter - 2" OME
1985 D110 EX-MOD
2006 LR3
2004 D2
2001 D2
2001 D2 - Lucky8 Project D2 - REDUX
2000 D2 - Trail Project, maybe
1999 P38
1995 RRC LWB
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
The others make some good points.

If the car was a daily driver that got put up because of corrosion and everything else was in good nick that would be one thing. But, this has been stored outside for years based on the fading of the choke pull and other obvious factors. That adds to the decay and you will most certainly be turning almost every nut and bolt on the thing.

The US (NAS or NADA) SIII trucks are "less than" the II's and IIa's for a lot of reasons which I don't see covered here so I'll try to point out the differences.

NAS SIII rear tub has steel seat belt mounts underneath that rivet through the outside of the tub. you can see them in the photogrpahs of this truck. Those brackets corrode and eat through the side of the tub making for a very difficult repair that usually involves replacement fo the tub side at the very least.

NAS SIII used 4" amber turn signals which are unique and hard to get lenses for

NAS SIII used the early full synchro gearbox which is prone to synchro failures on the lower gears, and failure of the small reverse gear.

NAS SIII used a plastic doo-hicky on the bottom of the gear lever that breaks and falls off resulting in difficult or impossible shifting and I think the remedy is a new shift lever (mine had a SIIa lever)

Early NAS SIII up until at least mid-73 had the dash vents closed off so that they only blow air up through the top of the dash. The later 73 and 74 trucks had that opened back up so the air would blow straight in.

As stated the SIII dash can rust out and replacement pars are hard to find or expensive.

NAS Late IIa and SIII trucks used 15" rims which are dorky and won't fit appropriate sized tires for Lucky 8 style Land Rovering.

That's all for now...still, it would be a cool truck all fixed up. 88's are small though and you are not so you might wanna try sitting in one and see how it feels.
I think you mean reasons why NAS Series III's are the best 88's ever made and remade.

Old May 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"
Originally Posted by Erik@Lucky8 View Post
With that being said, I am still up in the air based on all the info you've all generously provided me. I am going to take the weekend and consider this. Ive always wanted a Series project, but deep down I want a 109. We will see.

Thanks again,
I loved my IIa 88 and hated selling it but the 109 is the way to go IMHO.
Project trucks are around if you look. I found this one today in Fresno (no pictures) but worth checking out at $4500. '67 Land Rover 109 & 89+93 Range Rovers Plus if it's been mostly on the West coast it may have fewer rust issues.
Good luck with your search!
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:33 PM
1995 D90 SW #365
In the little experience I have with Series, I definitely think the 109's have a much better ride.

Car Camping Collective founding member and Treasurer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

97, siii