Real talk on d90 prices today - can you find reasonable ones? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 8th, 2014, 08:54 AM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Real talk on d90 prices today - can you find reasonable ones?

I know this subject comes up virtually daily - but I need help and don't know where else to turn

I want to buy a clean manual stock (or close to) 94 or 95 NAS D90 with <80k miles in the low 30K range. Do these exist anymore? If so, what's the best way to find one? If not, is there a market for an honest broker who can source one for me?

Owning another one has been a lifelong dream and I finally have the cash -- but the eBay, Clist and autotrader prices and ads are a Nigerian Prince tirekicker paradise. I simply don't have the mechanical knowledge, time required or research skills to shift through the BS to find one -- but I also don't have $80K to lift one off Copley.

What do I do? Do I just stalk the for sale section on this forum and hope to pounce on one or give up? Please be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2014, 09:06 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you are set on those year models, then yes. Troll the land rover classifieds daily as good deals on these trucks are getting harder to find.
If you are not set on those year models and would like to hear about what I do for people that have a lower budget and want a Defender then pm me.
Cheers
Abe
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Asking price and sold prices are probably different... Start your search, find the right one, and make a cash offer... Keep it as a business transaction until you are headed home in it.

Someone will sell it to you, since they don't really want to play the game.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

X2 on that...anyone here will tell you to just look and take your time. A D90 impulse buy will lead to nothing but rust anxiety...If you need help in choosing or need some feed back just PM me.

Be realistic in your expectations. A ST with less than 80K in the low to mid 30's is possible but you have to be ninja fast and search deep you never know what you'll find on the 21st page of your Google search!
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Thank you all
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:31 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Those guy are right and honest. Take your time and research.
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Price and condition are directly related to the level of work you're willing to put into the search. Luck also sometimes plays a role. You'll also need time in order to wait for what you desire to come up for sale.

How many pages back in the for sale vehicles section here have you gone back so far?
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sub-80k miles, but there was a clean one on here that SHOULD'VE went to board member (instead of a dealer for a quick flip), but you literally just missed it:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51248
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I've notice there is a low mileage Canadian 90 on eBay that closely fits your ideal deal.

FWIW, I wouldn't advise anyone to focus too much on mileage as a weeding out tool. I think a well cared for higher mileage 90 driven by an experienced Land Rover enthusiast could easily be a better option compared to a 90 that has sat and been neglected.

Clay

Old February 8th, 2014, 09:47 AM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Real talk on d90 prices today - can you find reasonable ones?

Working back now in the for-sale section. I used to troll/dream daily but wanted to know if that was a realistic worthwhile endeavor.. You have all given me hope that it is.

I noticed I just missed the clean SD one, figures. I can be patient and do the work though. Any color what this one sold for?

Thx again
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:47 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I've notice there is a low mileage Canadian 90 on eBay that closely fits your ideal deal.
x2...price seems more than reasonable for a 40K car (pending inspection of course):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...-/221369919271
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2014, 09:50 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by toona View Post
Working back now in the for-sale section. I used to troll/dream daily but wanted to know if that was a realistic worthwhile endeavor.. You have all given me hope that it is. I noticed I just missed the clean SD one, figures. I can be patient and do the work though. Any color what this one sold for? Thx again
Probably near asking since it sold so quickly.
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:47 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

..12?
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

$29.5?
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Okay, I'll bite and be honest. The answer: You're not going to find what you're looking for. The reason? You're not willing to put in the work. Look, it's no secret that NAS defenders are getting rarer each year, so the people who get "deals" these days are simply hungrier than you. Like anything in this world, if you want something that is hard to acquire, you have to be willing to work harder (make it a priority) - or - pay a premium (copley).

Ask a lot of people on this board how they ended up getting exactly the truck they wanted and they will probably give you the same ballpark answers...They OBSESSED over the configuration they wanted, they got lucky (but that is a function of being obsessed, i.e. placing yourself in the right place at the right time more frequently than the next guy), and they probably paid a little more than their budget.

If you're not willing to put in the effort, just save more $ and pay the premium when you see something you like.
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:40 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The premium NAS 90s sell quickly. You need to be ready to pounce within the hour of posting and purchase sight unseen in many cases. Else, a dealer will and you will see the same truck for sale a few weeks later at a 30-50% pop. It is the nature of supply and demand.
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by toona View Post
I want to buy a clean manual stock (or close to) 94 or 95 NAS D90 with <80k miles in the low 30K range. Do these exist anymore?
Out of curiosity, why do you want a low mileage truck for that price? Is it because that's all you can afford? Or is it because you believe that a low mileage truck is more desirable? Or better maintained? Or requires fewer repairs? Do you want a cheap truck so you can flip it for a higher price? What exactly is the motivation? Do you want to own one so you can feel like you got a deal?

Let's say you find a "clean" $30,000 D90 with 80,000 miles. Do you plan on actually driving it? How many miles do you plan on putting on it a year? 5,000? 10,000? What do you think will happen to the residual value of the truck when you drive it past 100,000 miles? When it starts rusting? When the mechanical parts start wearing out?

When you say "clean" do you mean "no rust"? Kept in a bubble? A truck that's never had a part replaced? Or has been maintained and every mechanical part has been replaced so that the truck is essentially like new? Can you afford the money required to replace the parts that need replacing? What if the engine blows, the transmission disintegrates, or the transfer case explodes? If you can't fix it yourself, can you afford a $3k, $5k, or $10k repair? Can you replace wheel bearings or brake pads?

If a truck has had 80,000 miles in 19 years, that amounts to 4000 miles a year on average. Was it driven 13k miles a year for the first 6 years and left behind the house for the next 13? How do you know?

Just trying to understand the rationale behind your requirements.

Also, be very careful about "pouncing" on "deals". Every advertisement for a Defender starts out like this: "No leaks, no rust..." and they are both outright lies in all cases. Several times a year, there's a post on here about someone who thought they were getting a deal and ended up getting a rusted out basketcase with nice body panels.
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Don't necessarily disagree.

I did the work to get one before so can do it again, just trying to gauge where they trade these days and if it's possible if I do the legwork.

By clean I just meant one with a few owners that did routine maintenance and not a lengthy back story and/or covered in rust. I personally think that's fair value for one that meets that description- so was just looking for a baseline. I would expect to pay more for less miles and would be happy to pay less for one with higher miles.

I plan on driving it 5-10k miles a year as my second car on nice days here in Austin. I could afford expensive repairs - and expect them.

Thanks again for the input from all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90