Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:27 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
(re)registration woes - North Carolina

I imported my truck in 2012 and easily registered it in Georgia by going through their simple LEO-supported VIN verification process. Fast forward to 2014: I PCS'd to my home of record (NC) and registered the truck in NC. I surrendered my Georgia title in the process. I never received my NC title. Then, in April 2015, my NC registration expired.

This past month I finished my year-long engine swap and went online to register the truck and was informed there was a 'correspondence hold' on my plate. Apparently NC sent me a notification back in 2014 that I needed a DMV to inspect/verify my VIN. I never got this notification. Now, they (NC DMV) are insisting that I get the VIN inspected in NC and are not budging on possible other solutions like providing import docs, photos, etc. I am sure that it popped up on their hit list because, as any ROW truck owner knows, the UK vins are not in any US database.

My case sits with 'Fraud and Theft' department of the DMV.

I am not in a position to drive the truck to NC and back just to have it's VIN 'inspected'.

I can not register in NY because I do not have a title in hand anymore... I am now at the mercy of NC.

Anyone dealt with this? Have advice?

Anyone know someone in the DMV?

Anyone have land for sale in Texas so I can change my residency one day? NC has to be one of the least military friendly states in their policies, despite espousing to be military-friendly. I grew up there and have maintained residency out of principle - I have justified paying state taxes every year despite not living there because I hope to retire there one day. However, they continue to make it difficult to maintain residency while involuntarily moving all of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
that sucks. I had to have mine inspected back in 06' after driving it back from KS, to get an NC title from a salvage status. Was a 15 minute process in Mecklenburg county.

NCDOT doesn't seem to have the same concerns that the CBP does, so I wouldn't worry about seizure, but doubt getting passed without physical presence is going to fly. maybe you should try and get your GA title back first then try to register locally where it can be physically inspected.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
In my personal experiences with registering Defenders in NC I find them to be a pain in the ass. I've had some easy experiences and some not so easy but overall I would have to say that they are likely more to hinder your process. I'd like to say it's because of someone most of all the forum knows of who has fucked up so much shit for some many people in the previous years but that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for your dilemma, but I can sympathize for your frustration with NC DMV.

Good luck in your attempts to get things accomplished and keep us posted.

------ Follow up post added November 2nd, 2015 11:40 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
that sucks. I had to have mine inspected back in 06' after driving it back from KS, to get an NC title from a salvage status. Was a 15 minute process in Mecklenburg county.

NCDOT doesn't seem to have the same concerns that the CBP does, so I wouldn't worry about seizure, but doubt getting passed without physical presence is going to fly. maybe you should try and get your GA title back first then try to register locally where it can be physically inspected.
Might be the best way to go if possible to get your GA title back somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Can you request a duplicate title from Georgia, since the title was never processed by NC?
Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
I registered my 109 in 2011 in Fayetteville, NC. The inspection took like 10 minutes. No issues.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

So its in NY, off the road, and needs to go to NC. NY does allow for temporary tags to move a vehicle out of state for registration there.

In-transit vehicle permits (temporary registrations) | New York State DMV
Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Be careful requesting a lost Ga title if you have had correspondence with NC DMV- setting yourself up for fraud. I would get the inspection, and be done. I have had many salvage titled rigs inspected, but have not yet had them request same of any ROW Defenders- knock on wood!!
Should you want to ship it here I would be glad to handle the process of inspection for you as it just entails coordinating the inspector to visit. I realize it is a little costly to ship, but in the long run lots cheaper than most any other attempt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:54 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I imported my truck in 2012 and easily registered it in Georgia by going through their simple LEO-supported VIN verification process. Fast forward to 2014: I PCS'd to my home of record (NC) and registered the truck in NC. I surrendered my Georgia title in the process. I never received my NC title. Then, in April 2015, my NC registration expired.

This past month I finished my year-long engine swap and went online to register the truck and was informed there was a 'correspondence hold' on my plate. Apparently NC sent me a notification back in 2014 that I needed a DMV to inspect/verify my VIN. I never got this notification. Now, they (NC DMV) are insisting that I get the VIN inspected in NC and are not budging on possible other solutions like providing import docs, photos, etc. I am sure that it popped up on their hit list because, as any ROW truck owner knows, the UK vins are not in any US database.

My case sits with 'Fraud and Theft' department of the DMV.

I am not in a position to drive the truck to NC and back just to have it's VIN 'inspected'.

I can not register in NY because I do not have a title in hand anymore... I am now at the mercy of NC.

Anyone dealt with this? Have advice?

Anyone know someone in the DMV?

Anyone have land for sale in Texas so I can change my residency one day? NC has to be one of the least military friendly states in their policies, despite espousing to be military-friendly. I grew up there and have maintained residency out of principle - I have justified paying state taxes every year despite not living there because I hope to retire there one day. However, they continue to make it difficult to maintain residency while involuntarily moving all of the time.
Register the Car in vermont to your NY address, You need a vin verifcation from any state (CT does these for $10). You can "buy" the truck again and register it in VT that way, or maybe transfer the reg to a VT reg.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 01:02 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Be careful requesting a lost Ga title if you have had correspondence with NC DMV- setting yourself up for fraud. I would get the inspection, and be done. I have had many salvage titled rigs inspected, but have not yet had them request same of any ROW Defenders- knock on wood!!
Should you want to ship it here I would be glad to handle the process of inspection for you as it just entails coordinating the inspector to visit. I realize it is a little costly to ship, but in the long run lots cheaper than most any other attempt...
This is a good idea. Simplifies things.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 01:26 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

The "Rule of Holes" comes to mind...
Old November 2nd, 2015, 03:35 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I imported my truck in 2012 and easily registered it in Georgia by going through their simple LEO-supported VIN verification process. Fast forward to 2014: I PCS'd to my home of record (NC) and registered the truck in NC. I surrendered my Georgia title in the process. I never received my NC title. Then, in April 2015, my NC registration expired. This past month I finished my year-long engine swap and went online to register the truck and was informed there was a 'correspondence hold' on my plate. Apparently NC sent me a notification back in 2014 that I needed a DMV to inspect/verify my VIN. I never got this notification. Now, they (NC DMV) are insisting that I get the VIN inspected in NC and are not budging on possible other solutions like providing import docs, photos, etc. I am sure that it popped up on their hit list because, as any ROW truck owner knows, the UK vins are not in any US database. My case sits with 'Fraud and Theft' department of the DMV. I am not in a position to drive the truck to NC and back just to have it's VIN 'inspected'. I can not register in NY because I do not have a title in hand anymore... I am now at the mercy of NC. Anyone dealt with this? Have advice? Anyone know someone in the DMV? Anyone have land for sale in Texas so I can change my residency one day? NC has to be one of the least military friendly states in their policies, despite espousing to be military-friendly. I grew up there and have maintained residency out of principle - I have justified paying state taxes every year despite not living there because I hope to retire there one day. However, they continue to make it difficult to maintain residency while involuntarily moving all of the time.
Dave,

I think it is quite possible that I can be of some assistance. I've gotten to know a few of the Inspectors who work for NCDMV. I'll need a bit more info regarding some of the specifics though. If you'd like sir, feel free to shoot me an email:

will@williamhedricklaw.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old November 2nd, 2015, 06:36 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
You sir are awesome - I appreciate the willingness to help! I will send you an email tonight with as many specifics as I can think of! Thanks again

Old November 8th, 2015, 02:31 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I can't speak to the DMV problem, but I can about the residency. I joined the Corps in 1990 from NC and paid NC state taxes for 10 years, only being stationed there for 1 year. You DON'T need to own property to change your home of record. My uncle at the time lived in Florida, I went down there and registered to vote using his address. As I was active duty, I could put my current address down to get the voter letters. I took this to my S-1 shop and they changed my home of record, as Florida is where I intended to live when I got out. I used Florida as a home of records until I purchased property in TN (another tax free state) in 2006. I live in the UK now and TN doesn't have income tax so my USMC retirement is not taxed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat