Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 21st, 2016, 08:58 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Rate my potential new truck

Hey guys new here looking to import a 1990 D90 200TDi. Would you mind taking a look at these photos and letting me know if everything looks good to you? Are there any other photos you would like to see before pulling the trigger? Thanks in advance guys!

My fears are that it will trapped at customs, even though everything appears all original matching numbers, or that the car will be a wreck when it arrives.

Hopefully I put this thread in the proper location. If not, sorry mods, please move to the appropriate place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2016, 09:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Can't imagine problems with customs as long as the chassis VIn matches and appears un-tampered. Looks all original to me.

I would ask for pictures of the underside of the footwells, door bottoms, chassis at the hangers and rear crossmember. Not always easy to tell without being there and poking with a screwdriver. You can cover a lot in paint. And a compression test.

IMO...If it is not a well known and well respected seller, it is worth a flight to look and drive yourself or pay someone that is well known and respected to inspect in person.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Can't imagine problems with customs as long as the chassis VIn matches and appears un-tampered. Looks all original to me.

I would ask for pictures of the underside of the footwells, door bottoms, chassis at the hangers and rear crossmember. Not always easy to tell without being there and poking with a screwdriver. You can cover a lot in paint. And a compression test.

IMO...If it is not a well known and well respected seller, it is worth a flight to look and drive yourself or pay someone that is well known and respected to inspect in person.
Thanks. It would run me about $1500 to go check it out... decisions decisions..

Can anyone tell me what this is in the picture? Also is the paint on it original?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2016, 09:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
For EUR 13,500 for a ROW 90 before being imported from Italy, I'd think you could find something comparable already here in the US. ROW 90s aren't particularly desirable here.
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:29 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Can anyone tell me what this is in the picture? Also is the paint on it original?
That is the rear axle trailing arm mount. The paint is not original as the bushing and bolts are painted. Could be waxoil as well.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:34 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
ROW 90s aren't particularly desirable here.
I would think it is more desirable than a RHD UK truck. Sure it is not an NAS truck, but I will never be able to afford a NAS truck. The truck is desirable to myself.
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:46 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

is that a puma bonnet? or did the older-style bonnets get a change in the reinforcement to puma style?
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I hear ya. My NAS is desirable to myself as well, but not to my wife...in case you have to sell at some point. I'm just saying I wouldn't go into it believing it's an amazing deal (not that you've said that) especially when not in the US yet. It looks fairly clean, but then again with the waxoyl that's been applied to the undercarriage who knows what the hell is under there. An often used quote around here is "Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection."
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
I would think it is more desirable than a RHD UK truck. Sure it is not an NAS truck, but I will never be able to afford a NAS truck. The truck is desirable to myself.
Don't listen to anyone who says "ROW trucks aren't particularly desirable". I'm not sure any one person can dictate that with any authority, even if it is Josh
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:56 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Don't listen to anyone who says "ROW trucks aren't particularly desirable". I'm not sure any one person can dictate that with any authority, SPECIALLY if it is Josh

Fixed it for you
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:58 AM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
The point he's making is that you stand to benefit from the relative lack of desirability of ROW trucks in the States. Importing a truck may end up costing you in the long run unless you're looking to import a truck that would be cost-prohibitive to buy here at home. With the ROW trucks being cheaper here than the NAS trucks, you might luck out and find one already over here that's well within your price range.

I'd also say that it's worth some premium to be able to drive the truck before you buy it. So, for my money, even if an already-stateside truck is a bit more expensive than a truck you import yourself, I'd be willing to pay the difference just to know for sure what I was getting.

Good luck!
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:59 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
That is the spirit that shall prevail over the EXPERTS opinion, if you like it, fits your budget, makes you smile when you have it, then go for it and proudly drive it flipping the middle finger to all who not support your decision
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:02 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Absolutely. A ROW 90 that is LHD and already has a TDI in is worth more. I think the lack of enthusiasm for ROW 90s comes from all of the ones with 2.5NA that need another $5000 to get them going highway speeds. I kind of feel that way sometimes with my exMOD... do I really want to spend that kind of money on an upgrade when a 90 will always be worth less than a 110. This wouldn't have those issues, it's already ready... assuming that it runs well.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
To be fair to John, no one here is trying to talk Adam out of buying a ROW 90. Just helping him to avoid paying more than he has to on a sight-unseen truck.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:10 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRoverGuy View Post
The point he's making is that you stand to benefit from the relative lack of desirability of ROW trucks in the States.
Great point
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Fixed it for you
Gustavo he's asking for opinions on the truck, not for you to confuse him with terms such as "specially" instead of "especially".
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:12 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
That is the spirit that shall prevail over the EXPERTS opinion, if you like it, fits your budget, makes you smile when you have it, then go for it and proudly drive it flipping the middle finger to all who not support your decision
I am not trying to discount or not heed an experts opinion. That is why I made this post. I am a LR newb. It is just for my finances, it is either a ROW Defender or no Defender. If I had a ton of cash I would just grab that arles blue NAS soft top in the classifieds and call it done.

My budget is <= $20k. This truck will cost me about that theoretically all said and done.

My thought process was to buy the nicest truck I can afford. I used to work at racing shops, and every time someone would bring in a fixer upper because "I am going to fix it up anyway" it turned out to be a money pit disaster, where the person should have just gotten a better vehicle to start.

Every truck in the classifieds or on CL is a disaster for that price range. I went and saw a truck locally, guy wouldn't budge off $17k for a 1988 rusted to hell (hello Fred Flintstone) RHD non-aspirated truck. At that point I said to myself, screw this, I will bring in my own.

Thanks for the advice guys, I am looking forward to being a contributing member to the community once I get a truck. I used to be very active with the Subaru community. I am handy, very knowledgeable about cars in general, and do not mind getting dirty.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:14 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Just going by the pictures, it looks very original and in nice condition. The heat shield over the turbo is often missing on these, and in general it just looks like it hasn't been jacked with much at all.

Interesting that it has a hand throttle and doesn't appear to have power steering. Leaves me wondering about it's purpose in life was up to this point.

Also wondering about the cable running through the passenger side footwell. No idea what that is.

Again, it's a crapshoot to assess based on a few poor quality photos. But the ones that were provided make it look pretty good.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Great point
thank you Ed.
Old April 21st, 2016, 10:22 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Looks nice to me, LHD is a value, 200tdi is a great little engine.

it might cost you $4000 to actually get it landed stateside (figure 2000-3000 RORO and document fees).

Your predicament is familiar to me and my truck was clapped out. I agree with the consensus that a stateside truck is a safer bet, but if this truck is under budget even with delivery fees I think I would pull the trigger or ask for a lot more photos.

Yes i'd say the chassis has been painted to cover surface rust. But the paint looks original, matches the bulkhead and I think you're already ahead of the game. It's italy not rainy snowy england so its reasonable to presume the truck is fairly rust free.

I'd pay $20K for that truck stateside if thats any indication of value

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat