Rate my potential new truck - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:24 AM
roverman2010's Avatar
roverman2010
Status: Offline
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston Island, NearTexas
Posts: 1,976
Registry
Adam post up some body shots, is that bonnet really a 1990?
Don't worry about what some call ROW as most on here drive ROW North American spec vehicles any ways
__________________
Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:24 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,882
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Gustavo he's asking for opinions on the truck, not for you to confuse him with terms such as "specially" instead of "especially".


You try typing with my fingers on this tiny keyboard and tell me how it words

Mr Literature Professor
__________________
1988 110 Tdi
1987 110 2.5 N/A
2006 D3 HSE7
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #23  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:27 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,646
Uncle Douglas -- dividing creek imports, is worth every penny. Call him, pay him his fee, and your import process will be smooth. He will also tell you in advance if he does not think it will make it in.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:29 AM
TNRoverGuy's Avatar
TNRoverGuy
Status: Offline
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 188
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Uncle Douglas -- dividing creek imports, is worth every penny. Call him, pay him his fee, and your import process will be smooth. He will also tell you in advance if he does not think it will make it in.
This is the best advice in this thread and a good place to start with the questions you already have and the ones you haven't thought to ask yet.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:30 AM
AdamSanta85's Avatar
AdamSanta85
Status: Online
Adam
1991 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 882
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Uncle Douglas -- dividing creek imports, is worth every penny. Call him, pay him his fee, and your import process will be smooth. He will also tell you in advance if he does not think it will make it in.
I shot him a message last night.

One of my issues is I have been dealing with a guy who sort of works with another cargo carrier. He has been contacting sellers on my behalf because I do not speak Italian, and he is familiar with the process of exporting cars from Italy. A lot of sellers don't want to be bothered selling to an American.

------ Follow up post added April 21st, 2016 11:34 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Adam post up some body shots, is that bonnet really a 1990?
Don't worry about what some call ROW as most on here drive ROW North American spec vehicles any ways
I hesitated on posting photos for fear of getting snaked out of the truck. If it happens, it is what it is and wasn't meant to be.







------ Follow up post added April 21st, 2016 11:36 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Interesting that it has a hand throttle and doesn't appear to have power steering. Leaves me wondering about it's purpose in life was up to this point.


Also wondering about the cable running through the passenger side footwell. No idea what that is.
No power steering eh, I assumed it had it. Hand throttle??

That cable is odd too. Anyone speak Italian who knows how to ask that?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:40 AM
TNRoverGuy's Avatar
TNRoverGuy
Status: Offline
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 188
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post





Gorgeous truck. If it's mechanically sound, you'd be sitting on a real gem if you can get it over here and have less than $20k in it. Color me jealous.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:40 AM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,329
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Just going by the pictures, it looks very original and in nice condition. The heat shield over the turbo is often missing on these, and in general it just looks like it hasn't been jacked with much at all.

Interesting that it has a hand throttle and doesn't appear to have power steering. Leaves me wondering about it's purpose in life was up to this point.

Also wondering about the cable running through the passenger side footwell. No idea what that is.
I see the PS belt. The cable is the hood release and that is the correct location for it.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:42 AM
AdamSanta85's Avatar
AdamSanta85
Status: Online
Adam
1991 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 882
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRoverGuy View Post
Gorgeous truck. If it's mechanically sound, you'd be sitting on a real gem if you can get it over here and have less than $20k in it. Color me jealous.
Already has rear side seats, sliding windows, and no hood tire mount. Its not cheap and a gamble but...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:45 AM
rwollschlager's Avatar
rwollschlager
Status: Offline
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Omaha NE / Mystic CT
Posts: 335
Registry
Is this a frame patch? Or is it supposed to have this rectangular plate in place?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oSu5KkS.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	147771  
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:46 AM
NPT90's Avatar
NPT90
Status: Offline
JT
D90 óriginalé
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC/MD
Posts: 2,289
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
I shot him a message last night.

One of my issues is I have been dealing with a guy who sort of works with another cargo carrier. He has been contacting sellers on my behalf because I do not speak Italian, and he is familiar with the process of exporting cars from Italy. A lot of sellers don't want to be bothered selling to an American.

------ Follow up post added April 21st, 2016 11:34 AM ------



I hesitated on posting photos for fear of getting snaked out of the truck. If it happens, it is what it is and wasn't meant to be.







------ Follow up post added April 21st, 2016 11:36 AM ------



No power steering eh, I assumed it had it. Hand throttle??

That cable is odd too. Anyone speak Italian who knows how to ask that?
If someone snipes your ride we will officially have a 'to-slash' order on his tires. FOREVER
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:46 AM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,054
Registry
That's a great looking truck ... don't discount flying out and seeing it ... also talk to doug ... give the current guy a bottle of pappy's for his time and relax knowing Doug will get the job done.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM
AdamSanta85's Avatar
AdamSanta85
Status: Online
Adam
1991 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 882
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
That's a great looking truck ... don't discount flying out and seeing it ... also talk to doug ... give the current guy a bottle of pappy's for his time and relax knowing Doug will get the job done.
Yea I would gladly send the guy I am dealing with currently a couple hundred for his time. I just want the truck here safe and sound. A lot of these private sellers are afraid of the export process, this one took some coaxing. I am waiting for Doug to get back to me today so we will see.

The guy I am dealing with currently is at Schumacher Cargo who is supposedly experienced with shipping Defenders.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:52 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
thank you Ed.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:54 AM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,329
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwollschlager View Post
Is this a frame patch? Or is it supposed to have this rectangular plate in place?
That is the trailing arm mount.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:55 AM
roverman2010's Avatar
roverman2010
Status: Offline
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston Island, NearTexas
Posts: 1,976
Registry
No need to worry about posting pictures on here, as soon as you put them up I said to myself I've seen that before, was posted on Facebook yesterday but as to whom no idea.

Good luck with the purchase.
__________________
Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM
meatblanket's Avatar
meatblanket
Status: Offline
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Golden CO USA
Posts: 538
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I see the PS belt. The cable is the hood release and that is the correct location for it.
You must have better eyes than I do. I only see one belt?

So, those additional pics suggest to me that the OP should buy it pronto.

Don't know why it has a hand throttle but you can see the second cable on the IP and the control on the inside. Not a bad thing to have, you could use it as a poor man's cruise control if you're brave.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,397
Nice truck and the world is full of "experienced Defenders shippers". If you don't use Douglas and something sounds screwy check back here.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,054
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Yea I would gladly send the guy I am dealing with currently a couple hundred for his time. I just want the truck here safe and sound. A lot of these private sellers are afraid of the export process, this one took some coaxing. I am waiting for Doug to get back to me today so we will see.

The guy I am dealing with currently is at Schumacher Cargo who is supposedly experienced with shipping Defenders.
that could mean anything ... with Doug you'll get 'experienced shipping defenders AND experienced getting it through customs / homeland security / border whatever'
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM
AdamSanta85's Avatar
AdamSanta85
Status: Online
Adam
1991 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 882
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
No need to worry about posting pictures on here, as soon as you put them up I said to myself I've seen that before, was posted on Facebook yesterday but as to whom no idea.

Good luck with the purchase.
I would be interested to know where you saw the pics if you can remember.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 21st, 2016, 12:22 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,054
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
I would be interested to know where you saw the pics if you can remember.
Scam truck alert??
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential New Defender Owner Here SomethingNew71 Misc. Chit-Chat 8 October 14th, 2013 04:44 PM
Rate the Rust: What's the prognosis? texrover Defender Technical Discussions 13 June 9th, 2011 04:15 AM
Going rate please huck1974 Misc. Chit-Chat 1 December 30th, 2009 09:56 PM
Rate/type of the SG droop kit coil Cube II Defender Technical Discussions 0 November 27th, 2009 04:10 AM
Is KBB just way off on the going rate of Defenders? SpicoliWouldGo Misc. Chit-Chat 12 May 3rd, 2005 04:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Copyright