Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Close Call

I had a near disaster.

I finally decided to install my front ARB, When I pulled the magnetic drain plug is was full off metal, When I pulled the 3rd member out I discovered that the pinion gear shaft had destructed!

I am so glad I found this now as I was preparing the truck for the Rally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I find it interesting that there has been a rash of posts here lately regarding these problems with non starting trucks. I read every one. I had the same problems with my '94 ST. Since all of these trucks are aging at the same rate, they're all beginning to experience similiar problems. It's remarkable. And as these trucks get older and older, I think we're going to see this stuff more and more.

These trucks are the only vehicles that I know of where the owner's are in such a collective state of denial. Enough making excuses for these things already. "They don't leak, they just like to mark their spot"...or "they're Land Rovers, and they're temperamental"...that's all bullshit. And if I see another douchebag at a rally with a "Lucas, prince of darkness" shirt, I just might puke on him. I love Defenders just like the rest of you guys, but it really is ridiculous what we go through with these things. It doesn't matter if you 4 wheel them or drive them back and forth to work on the highway, they are just prone to shitting the bed. Period. They are what they are. It used to be endearing to me, in some sick demented way, now it's just a pain in my ass.
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
I find it interesting that there has been a rash of posts here lately regarding these problems with non starting trucks. I read every one. I had the same problems with my '94 ST. Since all of these trucks are aging at the same rate, they're all beginning to experience similiar problems. It's remarkable. And as these trucks get older and older, I think we're going to see this stuff more and more.

These trucks are the only vehicles that I know of where the owner's are in such a collective state of denial. Enough making excuses for these things already. "They don't leak, they just like to mark their spot"...or "they're Land Rovers, and they're temperamental"...that's all bullshit. And if I see another douchebag at a rally with a "Lucas, prince of darkness" shirt, I just might puke on him. I love Defenders just like the rest of you guys, but it really is ridiculous what we go through with these things. It doesn't matter if you 4 wheel them or drive them back and forth to work on the highway, they are just prone to shitting the bed. Period. They are what they are. It used to be endearing to me, in some sick demented way, now it's just a pain in my ass.
so sell it and move on.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Nah, I'd rather just bitch about it. Thanks for listening.
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I love mine--it is running great. Usual little quirks and I love tinkering. I have been able to fix anything and everything that has gone wrong and I know it better than any truck or car I have ever owned. I love the simplicity of them as well. Problems can be a hassle, but if you just look at them reasonably, they can just add to deductive reasoning skills. When my Acura had issues, I had to take it to the dealer. Had to. I would NEVER own one of these trucks if I did not enjoy working on them. EVERY person that I know that did an ounce of research on these trucks knows that they are a labor of love and if someone bought it because the loved the design and looks, as I do as well, then they have to assume there is going to be issues and they better find a trusted mechanic. You gotta love them. And, just like a girlfriend that you have dated too long, if you fall out of love then SELL IT! There is nothing worse then having a buddy with a girlfriend that does not like her anymore and bitches, moans, and complains about her but stays in that destructive relationship. For those that feel that way about their Rovers, give it some serious thought on if you should move on.

That said, I love the fact that when I am getting my ass handed to me by my Rovers, like when my 4.6 had the overheating problem and I had to have the heads off 3 times in 3 weeks to no avail and then had my cam shaft destroy all my lifters, that I can rant here and have others that share my pain. And keep in mind that was right after having the oil pressure problem on my way to Moab and had to take the front cover off in the field, had one air'ed out to me, replaced it again when I got home, then had to work on the Disco and fix a leaking block, then a valve job....all within the same time. I was greasy, dirty and broke--but I never ever seconded guessed it.

...What my friend is trying to say here is that Love is blind...

I know, without a shadow of doubt, that if I sold my D90, I would regret it. I have actually been toying with the idea of a 110...
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I sold my '94 D-90. Worst decision I've ever made in my whole life. LOL I hate these f*ing things, but I love them too. I have a 110 now with a 300 Tdi, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss my old 1994 3.9 ST. Square tail lights and all.

Another funny thing worth mentioning is that I've owned discos, range rovers, and defenders...and every single one of them has seen the back of a flatbed tow truck at least once while I owned it. And never, knock on wood, was that a result of anything I did. ;-) Like I said in my earlier post....it's just remarkable, that's all.

As for the GF comment, I like to think that Defenders are like girlfriends that you may have fallen out of love with, but the sex is still unbelievable...so you just can't stand to break it off. She might really get on your nerves...but she does that one thing you like... lol
Old September 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Oprah would be so proud of us.

I guess I shoud admit that I have been trying to come up with THE list of parts that I should carry. I know sooner or later I'll be inop someplace far from help. When I am alone I aways carry something warm to spend the night in, at least a couple days food, and more water than I should need. I have even been thinking about one of those personal locator beacons (but so far that seems like it would take away the adventure). I have also thought about a HAM radio or whatever type would be appropriate.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but if it is....does anyone have some suggestions?
Old September 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Funny you mentioned that, I was just looking into HAM last night, thinking about how crappy CB is. Don't know anything about ham and the licensing.

Yeah the love hate thing with Rovers. I have to confess , it's more love for me. The beauty of it is, that after pushing 12 years of age for the Rover, It's holding up better than any other vehicle I know. Easier to work on than any vehicle I know, with endlessly recyclable body panels parts and all. The Rover is unique in it's quality to be able to do so and a testament to it's construction design. If stuff goes down, quirks and all, I think it's more because of extended neglect of certain parts. Since many here work on the truck themselves, many wait until something happens. (it's not like I think of
maintaining all sensors on a regular schedule). So a sensor goes down, a fuel filter here, and a wire there.. pretty normal stuff. See what happens to all the "maintenance free" multi modern gizmo new generation vehicles in about 12 years..
By the time you have replaced all the sensors , computer controlled gizmo this, gizmo that, (which BTW will be impossible to work on yourself), you'll be paying more than the cost of the vehicle itself. Most will probably just go to the dump. Not for me. I'm sticking to my Rover.
Old September 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
me too man I wonder who has SW 420
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Funny you mentioned that, I was just looking into HAM last night, thinking about how crappy CB is. Don't know anything about ham and the licensing.

Yeah the love hate thing with Rovers. I have to confess , it's more love for me. The beauty of it is, that after pushing 12 years of age for the Rover, It's holding up better than any other vehicle I know. Easier to work on than any vehicle I know, with endlessly recyclable body panels parts and all. The Rover is unique in it's quality to be able to do so and a testament to it's construction design. If stuff goes down, quirks and all, I think it's more because of extended neglect of certain parts. Since many here work on the truck themselves, many wait until something happens. (it's not like I think of
maintaining all sensors on a regular schedule). So a sensor goes down, a fuel filter here, and a wire there.. pretty normal stuff. See what happens to all the "maintenance free" multi modern gizmo new generation vehicles in about 12 years..
By the time you have replaced all the sensors , computer controlled gizmo this, gizmo that, (which BTW will be impossible to work on yourself), you'll be paying more than the cost of the vehicle itself. Most will probably just go to the dump. Not for me. I'm sticking to my Rover.

That's one big reason I hate to see the D go to unibody.....crash 'em and trash 'em. When my daughter's Volvo has a problem they say bring it in and we'll update the computer? An oil change is a pain in the butt.
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:10 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

SW 420? I think that one belongs to Ricky Williams. I was a clean Florida car, but I think this year it will see it's share of road salt from the harsh Canadian winter. ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat