Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Range Rover Sport

My wife mentioned that she would be interested in a new car and said she loves how the RR Sport looks. Even though it is no Defender, having another Landy in the driveway wouldn't be that bad. Before I start hitting up dealers, I thought I'd ask the panel of experts some questions:

Overall Opinion - from what I've read the RR Sport has LR3 architecture. I've driven my sis-in-laws LR4 and was impressed and have seen dchapman's take a LR3 thru some decent stuff at Rausch so that might be a good thing.

CPO - I hate buying brand new cars - unless it's a GM where buying new is a better deal. Any insight on how the LRNA CPO program is?

Year - I think there was a slight change in 2010. Are there any years better than others?

Motor - NA or Supercharged? I'm thinking NA so the MPG isn't horrendous and it will have less moving parts/complexity

Any other options? Some of the Merc diesel SUV's look interesting but I don't think the MPG is all that much better.

TIA - Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

IMHO, the big range rover is a much better truck as is the G-wagen.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
x2

2010 got some improvements, more power etc. A couple friends have sports and they are great trucks, but I like the full size more.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Her brother just got a new big Rangie (and her sis has the LR4) so she's wanting something different. I drove his Range Rover and wasn't too blown away to be honest but like I said like the LR4. Might just have to go the dealer and drive a few.

Her dream rig is the G-Wagen. She says if her latest venture does well she will get one in 5 years.

To be honest her E500 Wagon has been a warrior. I just had it for a day driving a kid to a match far away and it was great on the highway. Cruised at 90 nicely. But she has had it for almost 6 years which is a long time in our household and she just wants something new/different.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

2010 model diesel sdv6
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1G UP View Post
2010 model diesel sdv6
They don't sell that stateside.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Loved my sport. 2009 and newer have the heated steeringwheel (wich was a huge issue for my wife with our 2008)

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Her brother just got a new big Rangie (and her sis has the LR4) so she's wanting something different. I drove his Range Rover and wasn't too blown away to be honest but like I said like the LR4. Might just have to go the dealer and drive a few.

Her dream rig is the G-Wagen. She says if her latest venture does well she will get one in 5 years.

To be honest her E500 Wagon has been a warrior. I just had it for a day driving a kid to a match far away and it was great on the highway. Cruised at 90 nicely. But she has had it for almost 6 years which is a long time in our household and she just wants something new/different.
If you have small kids the middle door opening on the RR Sport sucks ass for putting kids in car seats and such. The door doesn't open enough, but I found that on my P38 and D2 as well. My kids are older now so it isn't an issue anymore but I know my wife hated the Rovers and went back to a BMW wagon because she was getting covered in snow/road muck when rubbing up against the body shell when putting kids in car seats. The E500 wagon is much bigger inside than the RR Sport, make sure she knows there won't be as much room.

Never had an LR4 so not sure how it is on those.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
They don't sell that stateside.

shame.

I'd go supercharged then.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Don, give me a call if you'd like to chat. I've owned all of the above and sell them as well, so I can tell you all about the differences, the All New CPO Program that just launched a week ago etc. If you want, I'll help you find one, but no pressure either. (847)224-3619 is my cell.
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:15 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I have owned 3 diffrent Rovers plus the Defender. My wife drove the LR3 for several years and we sold it and bought the LR4 this year. It's a great truck. Better engine and I like the improvements they made. I also bought a 2006 RRS when they first arrived. Drove it until this year. It was a great truck Never had any issues other than its expensive to get worked on. (Brakes, tires,tune up, etc). I'm sure you already know that though. Looking back I should have kept it. I don't think you would go wrong with the sport. The 2010 has almost as much horsepower as the 2006-2009 Supercharged. The ride is better in the sport compared to the LR3 or 4. I will say the LR4 is close though. Mike was right if you have kids. The LR3/4 is very roomy in the rear and the sport is very tight. Less legroom as well. Resell value is also better on the sport compared to the larger RR.
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
If you have small kids the middle door opening on the RR Sport sucks ass for putting kids in car seats and such. The door doesn't open enough, but I found that on my P38 and D2 as well. My kids are older now so it isn't an issue anymore but I know my wife hated the Rovers and went back to a BMW wagon because she was getting covered in snow/road muck when rubbing up against the body shell when putting kids in car seats. The E500 wagon is much bigger inside than the RR Sport, make sure she knows there won't be as much room.

Never had an LR4 so not sure how it is on those.
Thanks Mike - the kids are getting bigger with the smallest being 6 so no big cars seats needed. (Actually as I think about it, the oldest will be driving whatever we buy in the not so distant future). We had a D2 when they were little and I know what you are talking about with the middle doors. Will see how the kids get in and out on one. Interesting about the E500 Wagon being bigger but goes to show why we have had it for so long and why we had, at one point, about 4 of them in the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1G UP View Post
shame.

I'd go supercharged then.
Wish we had that diesel V6 over here. It's funny part of me is like WTF would we need 510hp, then the other part is very interested in mashing the skinny pedal with 510hp on tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Don, give me a call if you'd like to chat. I've owned all of the above and sell them as well, so I can tell you all about the differences, the All New CPO Program that just launched a week ago etc. If you want, I'll help you find one, but no pressure either. (847)224-3619 is my cell.
Would love to - and I really appreciate the offer - I'll hit you up in the next few days. I'll be calling from a 732 number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
I have owned 3 diffrent Rovers plus the Defender. My wife drove the LR3 for several years and we sold it and bought the LR4 this year. It's a great truck. Better engine and I like the improvements they made. I also bought a 2006 RRS when they first arrived. Drove it until this year. It was a great truck Never had any issues other than its expensive to get worked on. (Brakes, tires,tune up, etc). I'm sure you already know that though. Looking back I should have kept it. I don't think you would go wrong with the sport. The 2010 has almost as much horsepower as the 2006-2009 Supercharged. The ride is better in the sport compared to the LR3 or 4. I will say the LR4 is close though. Mike was right if you have kids. The LR3/4 is very roomy in the rear and the sport is very tight. Less legroom as well. Resell value is also better on the sport compared to the larger RR.
Thanks for all the insight. I heard about these recent Landies eating up brakes and I know 18"+ tires are not cheap and do not last long. Interesting about the Sport having better resell than the big RR.
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
i have a 2010 RR sport and love it. i test drove the supercharged as well, it did run really well, but it the difference just did not justify the increased price, for me anyway. i have had disco's, bmw 740iL, navigator, etc., and the RR is the one i like the most. to me is seemed to be in between a "truck" feel and sports car feel on the road anyway. there is my 5 cents...
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
keiphers
Keith
1997 D90 ST #647

Registry
I've got a 2011 RRS Supercharged and had a 2008 Supercharged before that - I absolutely love my RRS. I would highly recommend getting a 2010 or newer, as the updated interior is far better.
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Well, after going to the local dealer last Friday and then looking at some of the prices and then our budget, we might just keep the E500 for a little longer. I didn't have the time to drive the RR Sport but sat in a couple. They are very nice inside and the rear seat isn't too bad. I think my wife would love it but right now we just need to wait a little longer.

In the meantime the Merc is at the detailer today. The car drives really great even with 80K on the clock. I am thinking a good buffing, a nice coat of wax, a much needed interior shampoo and wash and de-fogging the front headlamps it will look great too. If only I could get the steering wheel and shifter lever restored and it will look like it jst came off assembly.

But big thanks for the many replies. I really appreciate it and will most likely be revisiting this come next spring/summer.
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
We have a 2008 Sport Supercharged and it's been great. Fast and performs very well in both snow up here in the Northeast and sand down on the Outer Banks. We drive from CT down to VA fairly frequently and it's a very comfortable daily and long distance driver. I've owned an X5 and driven the Mercedes GL but prefer the Sport.

I would recommend a CPO plan. A few interesting items required along the way like a blown pump on the supercharger, a compressor required on the air suspension and perpetual tire pressure warnings. Maintenance is also simply expensive but no more so than other comparable vehicles.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
So my wife drove her brothers Range Rover for a week while he was in FL and has the itch again for a "new" car. I drove his RR as well a couple times more and have to say I like it more after I got used to it.

Local dealer has a 2008 Range Rover with 16K on the clock that I drove today. I actually like the analog guages to the new ones. The '08 has a nice mix of function and form in terms of the interior. Need to see if she likes it too but the price of it is in the RR Sport range so it might be a good buy. Now to see what the dealer can do in terms of trade and cost to CPO it.

If anyone has any insight on issues for the 2008 Range Rover, I would love to hear. TIA
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
As a 2008 it should still be under warranty, no?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
As a 2008 it should still be under warranty, no?
I don't know to be honest and trying to figure it out. Seems I will want as much warranty as possible with a Range Rover. The sales guy said the warranty was 4 years from the sale (had a date of March 2009) so it's under factory warranty until 3/2013. He said CPO would be 2 more years but the LR site says 6 year/100k miles for CPO vehicles. Or maybe he means 2 years added to the 4 year factory?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I would give Andrew - Stmpede here - a call or shoot him a message. He knows more than most of us about all of this and knows warranties (even extended), and may even have something in stock for a good/better price than your local dealer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
range rover