Old February 5th, 2012, 10:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias

Would you mind posting a few photos of this installed?

Thanks,
Alex
He had posted it a few months back. There was another good child seat thread a few years back I had pulled up recently for a friend looking to put his 3 infants in safely - 110 ended up being the best starting point if you're not putting all your gear on the roof.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32118
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2012, 12:20 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Thanks for the link Josh.

The only thing I would caution people about is apparently the car seat manufacturer (that was linked in that thread) has had some service "issues" or at least complaints.........may be true or false but caveat emptor (buyer beware -- learned that from Brady Bunch epdisode).
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
I have headrests in mine. They are particularly a good idea with rear facing rear seats as front impact becomes equivalent of rear impact.

This is what I've got in mine. http://3rdrowseating.net/base-models/
THANKS FOR THAT LINK! That looks like an excellent alternative to the Exmoor lock-and-fold-and-made-of-Gold seats for me to consider. In considering what to do for a child safe third row, I had a concern about the exmoor forward facing seats with respect to the difficulty of accessing the children in that third row to assist them in buckling up and loading/unloading. a rear facing bench behind the middle row of a 110 facing rearward means I could load children from the safari door easily, and adults wouldn't have to climb over a middle row to enter/exit either.

Can you please share pics of yours installed? I love how the harness seat belt is attached to the bench itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Mark those are the pics of my set up.

The bench has 4 mounting badges that bolt to the tub. They are flat about the size of an iPhone. The bench then has bolts and hooks that attach to these badges so the bench is a 5-10 minute deal to take out.

The belts share attachments with the rollbar and chassis (some the same as front belts). You would NEVER want to attach any seat belt to the seat itself or a bench. All seat belts should be attached to the chassis or reinforced parts of the tub or body.

The belts are three point and self retracting......so they only need TWO points of attachement to the floor behind. One point holds the retracting mechanism and is the source of both the lap belt and the shoulder belt.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
Mark those are the pics of my set up.

The bench has 4 mounting badges that bolt to the tub. They are flat about the size of an iPhone. The bench then has bolts and hooks that attach to these badges so the bench is a 5-10 minute deal to take out.

The belts share attachments with the rollbar and chassis (some the same as front belts). You would NEVER want to attach any seat belt to the seat itself or a bench. All seat belts should be attached to the chassis or reinforced parts of the tub or body.

The belts are three point and self retracting......so they only need TWO points of attachement to the floor behind. One point holds the retracting mechanism and is the source of both the lap belt and the shoulder belt.
Ok, thanks. I didn't use the link to the previous thread. I see it now. I was surprised you mentioned the seatbelts are attached to the floor. both the 3rdrowseating.net and it's competitor littleseats.com state that for the retractable 3 point harnesses, they are mounted to the seat frame, not the chassis. My wife's DII middle and 3rd row seating have the seatbelts female connectors mounted to the seat directly, as well as the Exmoor lock-and-fold. I would think that mounted to floor is only when the seat frame is not designed to support the full force required.

Take a look at this pic and you can see the retractable belt mounted to the seat frame: http://www.littleseats.com/other.htm
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Good eye.........I see it now. That would be a lot easier to do it that way. I still question however how secure that would be as the bench hinge I don't think is designed for that but I don't know that for sure.

That is trick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
seats