RANDOM Q? White SW 90 in Alaska - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

RANDOM Q? White SW 90 in Alaska

The first time I saw a Defender in person was when I was in False Pass (population 64) or Cold Bay (population 88), Alaska. Which is out on the Alaska penninsula. I was out there in the Coast Guard fixing buoy's...

It was a D-90 Station Wagon in White. This was in the fall of 1999. I know it's a long shot but somebody shipped that truck out to the middle of nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
You might get an answer that will help you out if you ask your random question.

I do not know AK at all, but my buddy had his truck shipped to Dillingham from Seattle. Perhaps that was an answer to the question you were posing.
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I think his question was what the population of False Pass, Alaska is?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_Pass,_Alaska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
The first time I saw a Defender in person was when I was in False Pass (population 64) or Cold Bay (population 88), Alaska. Which is out on the Alaska penninsula. I was out there in the Coast Guard fixing buoy's...

It was a D-90 Station Wagon in White. This was in the fall of 1999. I know it's a long shot but somebody shipped that truck out to the middle of nowhere.

I have a good friend who was up there tending buoy's at the same time. The name Billy Chrimes sound at all familiar?
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:59 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
I have a good friend who was up there tending buoy's at the same time. The name Billy Chrimes sound at all familiar?

Billy Chrimes does not ring a bell. I was on the Firebush out of Kodiak. There was the Ironwood, I will check with some of the guys I knew on that ship.

My question was is anybody on the board here the possible owner that started my interest in Defenders. Short story: I was a Boatwainsmate coming into port and there was a D-90 on the Pier and I looked at my supervisor and said what an awesome truck that was. He was former British MOD and said "the Defender is the most capable vehicle in the world...."

That being said. How the did a Defender get out to False Pass and is it still there....

------ Follow up post added May 19th, 2011 09:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
You might get an answer that will help you out if you ask your random question.

I do not know AK at all, but my buddy had his truck shipped to Dillingham from Seattle. Perhaps that was an answer to the question you were posing.

Dillingham is a whole different port. I think the guy who owned this 90 was the harbormaster, or mayor of some sort. If he was the mayor we have stories.....
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Apparently a couple of Land Rover enthusiasts in False Pass. Found a pic here ( http://www.panoramio.com/photo/52257576 ) that shows a Discovery parked next to what I assume is the local general store. (also below) Also on the dock. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephenconn/4864262129/ )

P.S.- Also, found another cool pic taken from a dock, though no Rovers in it. (too big to attach, see link below)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...s_dock2007.JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52257576.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	38890   Click image for larger version

Name:	4864262129_44ffb05e41.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	38891  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

if that defender has been out in the aleutians since 99 there probably isnt much left but a pile of rust flakes. a nice day out there is when it stops raining for an hour and the wind dies down to 20 knots. getting a vehicle out there can be surprisingly easy(not necessarily cheap) there is regular barge service and the alaska marine ferry also makes a trip out the aleutians once a year. if you need it now and cost is not an issue you can have it flown in. one strategy for locals out that way is to buy a vehicle on credit, get it out there and then stop making payments. they are betting that the bank wont go to the expense of repossessing a vehicle from way out there. a friend of mine is a commercial pilot and he's done a few repo trips out to the aleutians. he says the banks do that occasionally to try and keep people honest.
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I didn't think anybody on the board knew about it... It was one of 2 defenders I have seen in Alaska... Below is a pic of the second one I saw in 08
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	td5110.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	38896  
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Mine was there from '02 to '07 when I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB... There was also a red ST at Land Rover Anchorage for sale in '04.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags