Random oil and filtration thoughts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Random oil and filtration thoughts

Well, it's been a while since I've done a thought-train post to ramble off some ideas to you guys. A co-worker's husband got some thoughts rambling through my head, and here goes another one. He's an AMSOIL dealer, really hyped up about the stuff he sells, and I had little to do at work tonight. So I did a lot of reading on oil filters.

Since I've bought the truck at 75,000 miles I've been doing oil changes at 3000 miles or less depending on what my oil pressure gauge was showing. Before I put in the gauge, I would go at 3000 miles or if the oil light started blinking at idle. At around that mileage, hot idle pressure starts to drop and in goes some fresh Rotella 15w40 with a new PH8A filter. With fresh oil and filter I'm getting a cold pressure of 45psi at highway speed, and mid 20's at idle. Hot engine pressures are low teens at idle, and mid 20's at highway speed. Also note that I do run the mocal oil thermostat which mostly bypasses the oil cooler until up to temperature. When I change the oil, it's very thin and very black. I've never been very happy with the oil situation in the truck, and am considering swapping in a 4.0 or 4.6 when the 3.9 is due, in order to get the better oiling system.

I've tried a few other filters before. Initially I was going with the -16 series frams, which are OEM size. I also tried the K&N and NAPA Gold. The K&N I couldn't stand that stupid nut they welded on, and I hate having to order them and wait for delivery. NAPA, the local store burned down. I later found I could use the larger PH8A Fram filters, about double the size. Well, Wayne was so enthusiastic about his AMSOIL stuff, that I did some research. I know a lot of guys here run the NAPA Gold and Wix filters. It seems they are the same exact filter, and are quite good. I highly recommend this link, never again am I going with a FRAM filter, even if they are sooooooo easy to change without tools. I knew the reputation, but never the facts.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Myself, I've got an AMSOIL order in for one of their new style large can filters (EAO15), 7 quarts of 15w50 synthetic, and some engine flush to give it all a good cleaning first. I'm due for a change anyway, and I'm interested in seing if there really is a difference. I'm also seriously considering one of their bypass filter sets too, but that will have to wait for spring. I'm just not in the mood to do any un-necessary work in the cold. I'm also going to have an oil sample sent out for the first time, as I'm interested in seeing what comes out of it. Then I'll do another sample of the AMSOIL at the same mileage, for a comparison.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Here's a tough call to make. If I do put in the AMSOIL bypass filter, that only adds another pair of external oil lines. At that point, should I just ditch the oil cooler and oil thermostat totally? That starts adding up to a lot of plumbing, and a lot of points of failure.

-Hans

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If the oil is thin, you have a leaking injector. Does the oil smell like gas?
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You know, I haven't done an oil change yet since I installed the new injectors..... I was just wondering the other day why the pressure hadn't started dropping yet like it normally did. I'm pretty sure that some of the old ones were most likely leaking, judging by the mileage increase.

-Hans

Old November 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
You know, I haven't done an oil change yet since I installed the new injectors..... I was just wondering the other day why the pressure hadn't started dropping yet like it normally did. I'm pretty sure that some of the old ones were most likely leaking, judging by the mileage increase.

-Hans
Duh.

On the plus side, your engine is probably pretty clean with all the gas in the oil.
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It's also been coming out as black as the ace of spades, probably from scubbing all the old sludge out. And boy do these engines make sludge!

Half the reason I'm looking into the bypass filter is to try and help with that problem and hopefully keep the engine ticking for at least another 50-75k miles or more. Then, when I DO swap in a new engine, I'd rather it not have to deal with the sludge issue at all.

-Hans

Old November 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I am willing to bet your next oil change is clean[er] and they will continue to get cleaner as you go forward. Gas really breaks up sludge. My red D90 had a short in the ECU which would stick the injectors on and flood the oil pan with gas -- so much so that it would end up burning oil from the overfilling of the sump -- and after a few times you could eat off the inside of the motor it was so clean with no ill effects of the episode as it is still running strong 6 years later. Assuming you don't get thinning of the oil during this cycle, I would strongly consider switching to synthetic. 5w40 rotella synthetic is fine if you really like the diesel oil. Synthetic, and especially, rotella synthetic, will clean it out even more.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I installed some new "Ford Racing" injectors in my Classic my oil smells like its got fuel in it, I am thinking it could also be cleaning all the diesel fuel from the parts washer, toluene from brake parts cleaner I used to finish cleaning clean parts washer parts and assembly lube out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht