rain car - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

rain car

decided to never put the top on the defender. Bying a cheap rain/ass cold car. Would you buy a disco 1 or a similar year 4runner for around the 4 to 5 grand range. Hate to say it, I leaning towards the toyota. This will be a street car only. I already have a tahoe and a c6 vette, but the wife drives the tahoe when it storms. Kinda leaves me wet. Didnt realize how much of a pain in the rear the top is when I bought the d90. Side note, Would trade a good surrey top for a bikini top. Easier on for light rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I did exactly that Shane. Bought the missus a 1998 Disco II LSE and whether I'm in that or my D90, I always feel like I'm going on an expedition.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:40 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

My badger top is a breeze to put on. Do you have a badger or the stock Bestop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2007, 10:07 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

bestop. regardless, Its not like the cj top. bikini for light rain. Other car for sideways rain. I'm sure the badger top is a huge improvement, but it cost 1/4 of a rain car
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Try and find a used one. Atleast you'll still be driving a 90
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It boils down to what you would rather drive and how much it's worth to you to drive it. The Disco I is pretty reliable, but still no match for a Toyota (in most cases). You just have to weigh whether or not the enjoyment of driving what you prefer to drive is worth the maintenance costs. Personally its worth a few hundred a year to me to drive what I want, but some people care a lot less about what they drive and a lot more about the money. I guess that's why Scion has a market!
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

drove a 22r yota pickup for about a quarter of a million miles when I was younger, I found it pretty stout offroad also. Toss up for me. I think I will have to find a disco with 2/3 the miles for the same price to make a go of it. Would love to have a toyota front drivetrain for my defender. Anyone got the disco I need for sale so I can be talked out of the logical choice?
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:57 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
decided to never put the top on the defender. Bying a cheap rain/ass cold car. Would you buy a disco 1 or a similar year 4runner for around the 4 to 5 grand range. Hate to say it, I leaning towards the toyota. This will be a street car only. I already have a tahoe and a c6 vette, but the wife drives the tahoe when it storms. Kinda leaves me wet. Didnt realize how much of a pain in the rear the top is when I bought the d90. Side note, Would trade a good surrey top for a bikini top. Easier on for light rain.
Shane email me your address, I'll send you my Besttop bikini top. I don't plan to use it anymore. If you like it, than you can ship me your surrey.

Ade
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So Neil, the Disco gives you no problems? I posted a thread on a 3rd car but was thinking/looking at a sub compact. I like the idea of never putting the top back on - cold ain't an issue in Socal but the rain is (though not this season). For a on road only run about to do less than 5k a year, 4 seats and reliability is the only true requirements I have. Kind of funy if I go from a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris to a Disco! Or Shane, you still have more lean to the Toyota?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat