Quiting smoking - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:43 PM
scrubs
henery

FWIW, it's in your best interest to quit what went with the cigarettes also, coffee, beer, ect. to make it easier quitting, stopping those also will provide a better success in stopping the habit
My weakness is coffee, found this out after having a X2 by-pass at what is considered a early age.

went two months after the surgery before a cup of coffee was drank n the cigarette soon followed.

Just also purchased the evod2 kit to tryout.

Good luck! And check in for support during a craving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Don't you know how to multitask?

-Jeff

You sound like my ex-wife.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

I quit many times, but always started smoking again. Finally I learned about the science behind the addiction and was able to quit for good. Basically you have to address two issues, the physiological addiction (the mental connection between that smoke and the coffee, beer, etc and the physical addiction. The site I used to educate myself was http://whyquit.com

I ended up using some anti-depressant which also works to help you stop quite smoking. The instructions said to pick a day to stop and start taking the medicine 5 days before that. You ramp up the dose as your quitting day approaches. I remember I just stopped a day before I had planned just because I didn't have the urge, the medicine totally cut the edge off. I then got through the physical addiction aspect and I was done with smoking. From there on you just have to be tough when those physiological triggers are around, especially when you put back a bunch of cocktails and the booze is telling you to go ahead and have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:57 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Now, for the record I was referring to ME as the guy who posts a lot of stupid shit. I should have made that clear.
I did realize that AFTER I posted...smoking all of those years deminished my attention span, so only every word...it still applies though

------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2014 08:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I quit many times, but always started smoking again. Finally I learned about the science behind the addiction and was able to quit for good. Basically you have to address two issues, the physiological addiction (the mental connection between that smoke and the coffee, beer, etc and the physical addiction. The site I used to educate myself was http://whyquit.com

I ended up using some anti-depressant which also works to help you stop quite smoking. The instructions said to pick a day to stop and start taking the medicine 5 days before that. You ramp up the dose as your quitting day approaches. I remember I just stopped a day before I had planned just because I didn't have the urge, the medicine totally cut the edge off. I then got through the physical addiction aspect and I was done with smoking. From there on you just have to be tough when those physiological triggers are around, especially when you put back a bunch of cocktails and the booze is telling you to go ahead and have one.
kinda like taking heroin to kick cocaine...it's a tough business all this chemistry to relive boredom...everyone needs to go on expedition!!
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Congrats from the one smoker left who does not want to quit. :-)
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Congrats from the one smoker left who does not want to quit. :-)
You would be a basket case without cigarettes and diet dew

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You would be a basket case without cigarettes and diet dew
And wild turkey
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Circa 2006:
Me: Hi Ron, thanks for driving my Rover all the way across the US in dead of winter.
Ron: no problem Jim.
Me: hey, I didn't think you smoked.
Ron: yeah, I've been wanting to start smoking for a long time but haven't had the money.

Old November 24th, 2014, 03:17 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Circa 2006: Me: Hi Ron, thanks for driving my Rover all the way across the US in dead of winter. Ron: no problem Jim. Me: hey, I didn't think you smoked. Ron: yeah, I've been wanting to start smoking for a long time but haven't had the money.
So true. Janey leaked and soaked a pack of camels I had. I was so mad. Ah the days of being poor.
Old November 29th, 2014, 07:48 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

How's it going?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 29th, 2014, 09:35 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I haven't had a cig since Saturday of last weekend
Old November 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That is fantastic....bodies? well florida has options...just remember in colder temps gaters digest slower!
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:18 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
I haven't had a cig since Saturday of last weekend
Great job!
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:20 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Excellent.
Julie?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 29th, 2014, 11:04 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
That is fantastic....bodies? well florida has options...just remember in colder temps gaters digest slower!
And remember to wrap with ham , and insert whole ham into stomach cavity.. Makes the gators go into a feeding frenzy..
Old November 29th, 2014, 02:25 PM
D.C. Benny
Ben Wartofsky
none

quitting

As a former pack and half a day smoker, who tried many times to quit, and hasn't had one in almost 10 years, here's my two cents:
If there is someone around you who continues to smoke while you are trying to qui,it's going to be virtually impossible. You both have to be on board or you will relapse most certainly.
Nicotine gum, e cigs etc, keep nicotine in your system so you are still addicted and will relapse. The idea is to get it out of your system thus reducing your cravings.
Cold turkey is the way to go; it's a shock to your system, but after a couple days, you are over the hump then its all about maintaining and not giving in to the cravings which will lessen over time...but will always be there.
The things you do that went hand in hand like drink beer, coffee; stop doing them for a while then gradually reintroduce slowly and individually so your brain doesn't associate them with nicotine but more as a stand alone indulgence.
There is a book by Dr Allen Carr, "how to quit smoking permanently" or something like that. It was a good help for myself and wife; we both read after deciding to quit simultaneously. You can smoke while you read it, which was great, but the central message is that you are in a constant state of desiring a cigarette ALL THE TIME, and smoking doesn't appease this state as it seems to, it just keeps you stuck that way so that you will be desiring a cig ALL THE TIME. It's about breaking that cycle and releasing your mind from being in a constant state of craving nicotine.
Through repetition, it breaks down the logic (or lack of) of what you are doing and is almost hypnotic without being too preachy.
Good luck, and if you do relapse, check out this book. Like a good friend said to me: "You are going to have to quit one day.." something I'd never really thought of as a reality.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat