Quiting smoking - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:30 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I rolled my own for 10 years. 2014 was my 10th year smoke free. Took the opportunity of a bad upper respiratory infection where I couldn't smoke even if I wanted to. That lasted a couple days and I decided to challenge myself to keep going.

Your brain tricks you into thinking you like smoking and "triggers" are really just excuses your nervous system invents to make you reach for that cancer stick and feed yourself the nice little interlocking molecule for your pleasure receptors. In other words, your body chemistry is fucking with you.

Once I figured that all out I decided I was collectively smarter than the individual molecules of my brain and that I would win. Hope that makes sense, it does to me.

Beer and coffee aren't actually better with nasty cigarette smoke. But your brain chemistry makes you think that they are so that it can get the fix it needs. You can get the same fix by exercising or doing something else positive that actually is good for you.

And every day that you don't smoke raises the stakes and gives you that much more to lose by smoking again. Which makes it easier to stay with it. That's why they say one day at a time.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The hardest thing for me when I quit (I haven't smoked now for 20years) was the social smoke break, particularly at bars while drinking. For me, it was easier to go on the breaks and not smoke then to skip them. Later, I didn't even want to be around smoke. Now it's doesn't matter one way or another. I have had a puff or two over the years and it gets me loopy and sort of sick-- not appealing at all-- I not only don't crave cigs, but they actually sort of disgust me to smoke. Can't believe I smoked so much when I was younger...
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I quit smoking a pack a day about four years ago. I definitely miss it sometimes, but I don't regret it. I especially don't miss it when I see packs of cigarettes for $15 here! I think ability to quit just depends on your personality. I'm very stubborn, which I think helped make it easy for me to quit. You definitely have to want to quit.
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Abe,
Just think about all the parts you can buy with the money you save when you quit, do the math, I quit about 25 years ago, I used the nicirette gum. Try anything you think will work, but it comes down to will power, YOU CAN DO IT,
Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Abe and Rick I'm very proud of you both as you are my friends and I want you around and healthy for awhile. My father was a heavy smoker for almost his entire adult life. The worst part was watching him slowly not being able to be active due to the loss of lung capacity in an otherwise healthy man. A 100% preventable terminal disease. I have never understood smoking and never will. Good job JPayne, Dave, Jimmy and the rest of you who have beat this terrible addiction.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Abe...you said you like to paddle. Try training and participating in a race. Trust me..replace the cigs with something you love and as you feel your lung capacity and body get stronger it will be much easier. You will be setting a fun challenge for yourself and have instant support from the other paddlers as well. Good luck! You can do it!!...

GO RICK!!
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
It was the behavior for me. I was lucky that none of my coworkers smoked and were supportive of me quitting. Same with my friends, most of them were social smokers who smoked my cigarettes. Not to mention the 5 pound bags of Gummy Bears and nicotine patchs that got me over the withdrawals. It really comes down to wanting to quit more than wanting to smoke.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
What's the deal with gummi bears?
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Congrats on your decision!

Mine was not smoking but dipping. I quit 9 years ago this August - cold turkey. Best decision ever. I used to take up smoking to quit dipping, it never worked but, I suppose it helped a little cause I hated how I smelled after. My whole family (dad, mom, siblings) still uses nicotine in one form or another. When I finally decided I wanted to quit, I quit for a month, then went to Florida to fish with a buddy and he had a can. I bought a can but as I entered the airport to return I threw it in the trash and haven't had one since. It was tough, a guy at work in a cube over dipped and every time he tapped the damn can to pack it, my mouth would water! Damn you Pavlov! LOL! Biggest reason I quit besides health benefits is I was tired of it controlling me. I used to smoke cigars on occasion, don't even like that anymore.

Some great statements here. You will if you want to, not think you should. Find another addiction. Buy more Rovers!

Good luck!
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:36 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Been using an e cig with much success. Make sure you go to a real vapor shop to get one. All e cigs are not created equal. The ones at the counter at your local gas station are all owned by the big tobacco companies. They suck on purpose so you try them once and go back to smoking tobacco.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I'm really concerned for you Briggsy..!!!!!
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Been using an e cig with much success. Make sure you go to a real vapor shop to get one. All e cigs are not created equal. The ones at the counter at your local gas station are all owned by the big tobacco companies. They suck on purpose so you try them once and go back to smoking tobacco.
While I could understand that from the perspective that old companies have trouble integrating, "big tobacco" should be creating a respected name in the new world of e cigarettes. Hell, they have a captive audience! Look what Kodak did - they were well respected when it came to film, then when digital cameras came along they made a shitty effort at it at first, and the quality of their cameras was terrible. Later on they tried buying out other companies that had executed the transition properly. Where's Kodak today?
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Hey Alexandra - I saw something the other day that reminded me of you...well your avatar anyway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0530.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	107383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0531.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	107384  

Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I live in Colorado, we like our edibles. Gummy Bears included. What really concerns me is the crap Jeff finds to post. What the hell was that?

Love the Harl Dane statue, that's awesome.

I think the first 2-3 weeks were the worst. After you've made it that far who wants to start over. If you want to quit you will.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
What really concerns me is the crap Jeff finds to post. What the hell was that?
Glad someone else thought so too. Frigging disturbing
Abe, Julie has to quit too or you are going to have a hell of a hard time.
I'm going to stay clear of Newman for a couple of weeks, I can only imagine how jumpy that guy is going to be....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Jeff has instant recall of trivial, obscure stuff because this is what it's like in his brain!

Old November 23rd, 2014, 05:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
2min 43 seconds of my life I can't get back. From a guy who posts a lot of stupid shit.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 06:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
2min 43 seconds of my life I can't get back. From a guy who posts a lot of stupid shit.
Sez the Man that watched it for 2 minutes and 42 seconds too long! lol...
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

It does get easier everyday. Eventually you will get to a point where you notice how bad it stinks. To occupy some of your time and clear your head, clean your car interior, clothes, or anything that could smell like smoke.

Once you clear and clean yourself of that smell you will soon hate it. Buy yourself a really nice comfortable shirt. Now imagine that shirt smelling like shit. You'll get to where you have more stuff that smells new and fresh vs shit and will want to stay away from that smell.

Only thing about quitting is the smell of a smoker seems horrible to me now. Good luck to you and your wife.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:13 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Sez the Man that watched it for 2 minutes and 42 seconds too long! lol...
Now, for the record I was referring to ME as the guy who posts a lot of stupid shit. I should have made that clear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat