Question for the military guys... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Question for the military guys...

My question for military guys with a lot of truck stuff: how do you store and move your stuff?

I've accumulated an incredible amount of parts, tools, and spares over the years. We recently PCS'ed from Fort Carson to JBLM and I lost my huge basement storage room. I'm considering a few options:

- Rent a garage space where I can store stuff and work on my truck. I'm not sure what happens at PCS time, though. Will the packers/movers pack a storage unit in addition to the house? Maybe for an extra fee? Or do I have to haul this crap back to my house for boxing and shipment alongside the rest of the household goods?

- Buy a 20' CONEX and find some place to keep it. Put all of my crap in here and when it's PCS time, hire some trucking company to pick it up and move it on my own dime. This has the disadvantage of being expensive and potentially difficult to find a place to park a CONEX.

Curious how the rest of y'all handle it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:13 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I just went through this and the Transportation Office had me specify an additional pickup location on my paperwork when I inquired about this. Packers and the Tractor Trailer had no issue doing a split pick up since it was specified on the paperwork.

I have no idea how to get them to do a split drop off though. I paid $100 bones in tip money to get the delivery guys to drive over to my storage to do a drop there in Georgia. GL at Lewis, I love it there. I still own a house near the Hawks Prairie Golf Course if you are looking. Only a 2 car garage but a decent sized one with 8' garage door. .

Oh, and CONEXs used to be $3k up the street in Fife back in 2009 when I last checked.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I store everything I can in Pelicans. If it's too large than I just pack it well, things like glass or body parts. Most get stored in storage units. The immediate need components are at the home garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:50 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I just went through this and the Transportation Office had me specify an additional pickup location on my paperwork when I inquired about this. Packers and the Tractor Trailer had no issue doing a split pick up since it was specified on the paperwork.

I have no idea how to get them to do a split drop off though. I paid $100 bones in tip money to get the delivery guys to drive over to my storage to do a drop there in Georgia.
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. Storage makes the most sense. I found a fancy one in University Place that rents full-on garages with electricity, phone, alarm system, etc. It's pricier than mini storage (~$400/mo) but pretty sweet.

/
/
/
/
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:19 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I store everything I can in Pelicans. If it's too large than I just pack it well, things like glass or body parts. Most get stored in storage units. The immediate need components are at the home garage.
That explains your obsession with Pelicans.... By "storage units," do you mean in an underground lair?
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
That explains your obsession with Pelicans.... By "storage units," do you mean in an underground lair?

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:20 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Like it was said as long as you tell the transportation office they have no issue with split pick ups. My last PCS they picked up at my house, a storage unit and my office at the unit. At the new location they off-loaded at all three as well.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I liquidated all of my spares and most of my fabrication stuff, no sense all that sitting in storage for 3 years. Of course I am OCONUS for 3 years. I was also already waaaaaay over my allotted 17k lbs total HHG weight.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat