Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 1st, 2004, 06:50 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Question about selling

Hey guys,

I am pondering selling my 1997 ST and purchasing a SW, but I have a few questions about how to get the most money out of my 90 when I sell it.

1. Top: Right now I am thinking that I will be better off removing the pickup top that I have installed and putting the top back to stock rather than painting the top to match and selling it with the pickup cab (I have all of the original ST parts).
2. This 90 is really setup with accessories, there is a link to the list lower on the page, do you think I would be better off removing the items and saving them for my next 90? Do you think I would get more money out of the 90 if I remove the accessories considering I have a full service record and all paper work from when it was purchased including the window sticker?

Any tips on getting the most out of the 90 when I go to sell it?

I have all of the original paper work from the day it was purchased including the window sticker, service records and even the business card of the sales guide that sold the 90, I have every bit of paper work and then some.

Here is a link to the details of the 90
http://www.slickrockfabrication.com/daves90.htm

thanks,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2004, 07:16 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Returning a truck back to stock will always fetch more interest and better chances of getting more $$ in a sale. While there is a market for modified trucks, it is much smaller and most people who know what mods they want, are not going to pay huge $$ for a pre-modified truck. The same is for D90s and Discos. I don't have the parts or money to return my Disco back to close to stock or I would and just sell off the mods separately.

I personally prefer to shop for a modified truck because I am going to use them so the less I have to to, the better. I love your D90 Dave. It would be a great D90 for my wife although I would have to steal the half cab for our yellow one. lol But the wife has spoken.. no more Rovers until we sell the Disco.

If it was my truck selling, I would take the cab off and put the original top back on. I like the cab but the roll bar and cab may "weired" some novice shoppers.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:19 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dave, how about selling the cab and the ST cage and convert it to a SW and have Keith or Spider trax build you an external roll cage. I'm sure you will have some money left over after you sell the above parts.

If you don't want to deal with the conversion then take all the accessories off and save them, and give the new owner the choice of ST or PU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
tbmcneill

dave-
how much are you asking for it as it stands?
T
Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:53 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Chris
“Returning a truck back to stock will always fetch more interest and better chances of getting more $$ in a sale”

That is what I was thinking as well, especially with the original paper work and window sticker people may feel more comfortable with it.

Yousef
“Dave, how about selling the cab and the ST cage and convert it to a SW and have Keith or Spider trax build you an external roll cage. I'm sure you will have some money left over after you sell the above parts”

This was the first option I looked at since I feel that I have a good 90 already, but I started looking at the parts/ cost involved with the conversion and I would still be missing out on some of the little things I like about the factory SW such as the SW doors and interior bits, by the time I add all of the items and include paint for the top/doors it seems like it would cost less to sell my 90 and buy a SW.

Troy
“how much are you asking for it as it stands”

I have been watching ebay and was thinking I could get somewhere around the mid 20’s if I were to put most of the stock parts back on, but I had not really thought about what I would want for it the way it sits right now.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I will start looking for some of the stock parts that I am missing
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Dave

I had a second 90 a few years ago that was fairly set up as well. When I originally listed it, mods and all, for a price I thought was fair(low 20s) it sat for two months with a few nibbles. Once I decided to return it to stock and sell off parts and vehicle separately, I sold the truck in a matter of days and all parts within two weeks. I ended up getting what I orginally wanted out of the deal, just with a bit more work involved. Good luck, your truck is in nice shape and you shouldn't have a problem selling it.

Tis
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

stockstockstockstockstockstockstock.

It's what I did with my LWB RRC, and it worked.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:07 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

As backward as it sounds, the mods really don't add resale value to the vehicle. I'd pull them all off and get it as close to stock as possible then save them for your next 90. It seems that most buyers want a clean canvas to start with - not me.
Before I lost my job I started shopping for a '95 SWB with a spring conversion and maybe some off-road mods like a bumper/winch larger tires etc and couldn't find anything. The ones I did see were mostly bone stock.
Rachel and I have discussed selling the SW and replacing it with a classic and a ST D90 (my first love). If/when we did do this, I'd be looking for vehicles with the most additions possible.
I love your D90, shame I don't have the $ right now.
Maybe I'll start a new thread titled "trade my '97 SW for your Classic and D90ST"
Best of luck getting what you want out of it.
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:34 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

"Maybe I'll start a new thread titled "trade my '97 SW for your Classic and D90ST"

Thanks for all of the ideas and feedback guys,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat