Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 13th, 2015, 01:50 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Question About Parts

When it comes to non-Rover specific parts, do you guys shop online, or do you have brick and mortar places you are able to find things at.

For instance, one of the things I want to build is a dual battery set up.

Are there actual stores in the various places you live that have cool "Mil Spec" grade items where you get to actually go put your hands on these things before you buy them? Or should I just try to piece together everything on Amazon?

I have a hard time being sure I'm getting everything I need, or all the right bits, when I'm only shopping online.

Know what I mean? Or is this confusing?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

A bit of both. Depends on when I need it. If I'm not in a rush, then I'll competitive price things and usually buying online is easier and better. Sometimes local stores have sales. A set of shocks for a 3rd vehicle, I'm getting from 4 wheel parts because they've got a special right now. Cheaper than online.

If I need it right now (like a set of lower suspension ball joints), I look around and found a set locally. Paid probably way too much but I was able to get the job done and that thing out of my garage. And really, getting something out of your garage...isn't that worth it!!??

Camping and army-navy are a completely different. There is stuff in there I didn't even know I needed. Here, its a toss up. Example: I found my next headlamp. It was cheaper to get it at the REI on my way home from work vs. Amazon. Also a lot of times you can find little bags and other crap at local stores. Used military surplus that you order, from my experience, can be hit or miss (if its in used condition). In the store, I just find the one that wasn't dragged across 5 battlefields.
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
For wires and connectors:

https://www.genuinedealz.com/

The name is...a little funny...but it's a good shop with good selection and great prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2015, 08:58 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks. Good looking leads.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat