Question about importing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Question about importing

This may seem like an idiotic question to throw out there but being as 97 defenders were ok here in the usa is it legal to import a 97 from abroad? And if not is there any legal way to get a newer than 25 yr old defender In this country by doing modifications or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
My mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention at the mere mention of this question.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT View Post
And if not is there any legal way to get a newer than 25 yr old defender In this country by doing modifications or something.
What is it that you're trying to accomplish exactly?

We will try to correct your poor judgement/reasoning with information, but you need to tell us what your end goal is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Lol oh boy. Ok. First off I was wondering is it legal to import a 97 defender into USA because they were sold here I that year so does that negate the 25 year old older rule and second is it legal to import a newer than 25 year old truck with no engine or some type of scenario where it can be legally done.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Must-resist-sarcastic-urge to make comment about sticky threads and search...

Questions like this make me think you're a troll...
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
NJT
Nick
none

A troll? Is that like a narc? I'm just looking for a legal way to get this done.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The answer is no.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Check trucks for sale, it's the first sticky I believe (questions about importing) read that whole thread (if you have an hour).

It answers so many questions it's kind of absurd.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:15 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
A troll? Is that like a narc? I'm just looking for a legal way to get this done.
What are you trying to accomplish?

Save money because you are poor / cheapskate?

Flip the truck for profit?

Strip a truck for parts and sell for money?

You're asking how to do some truly bizarre things. We need to know what you're really trying to do here.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:19 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
A lazy CBP agent?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? Save money because you are poor / cheapskate? Flip the truck for profit? What are you trying to do?
My overall goal is to find a 97 d90 lhd automatic and not have to sell a kidney to get it. I was going to buy the green one being sold by pinball king who is on here and went to see truck but was beaten to it by someone else in cash in hand. I'm no narc and not trolling for anything. I've been a cop in ny for 17 years and I've never encountered these types of laws before and I don't want to buy a truck to have it seized later on
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
correct answer is that the answer could be yes or no. It is vin specific. 98 models were required to have airbags. DOT cut the 97 90's off @ a specific vin# because Rover went way past August 97 producing 90's and calling them 97's. Rover ended up selling the trucks in Japan and Saudi, UAE etc.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
NJT
Nick
none

I just figured you guys who live and breathe this stuff would know the answer to this but if you guys wanna think you can get in trouble by answering my question then you really know zero about how the justice system works and if your gonna give cute little sarcastic replies back why bother.

------ Follow up post added November 3rd, 2014 06:26 PM ------

Thank u uncle D. That helps. So basically I would need to have the vin approved by customs?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:30 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
Don't get pissy Nick. They get tired of saying the same thing over and over again when the search option is available. All good guys who will all have your back once you are an owner. To make it simple there are some north american spec trucks that were built for other markets so they can be found. They have to fall within a certain VIN range that can be also be found by searching. If it isn't LHD with a V8 and automatic from the factory and built before the dates Doug mentioned, it isn't gonna happen. As a first timer, better to keep your search stateside unless you have the help of someone like Doug.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:36 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Thank u. That's what I wanted to know. Not pissy just no patience for bs I've gotten different answers from people in the importing business so I figured here is the best place to find out. I use my cell to log on here so it's not as easy to access all the areas of this site so I'm not sure where the rules of importing are but I seem to have my answer now. Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:40 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Let me apologize for my cute little sarcastic reply and any Blazing Saddles references I may have made in response to your question. I realize it is a mistake to assume everyone has a sense of humor. Good luck with your search.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I just figured you guys who live and breathe this stuff would know the answer to this but if you guys wanna think you can get in trouble by answering my question then you really know zero about how the justice system works and if your gonna give cute little sarcastic replies back why bother.

------ Follow up post added November 3rd, 2014 06:26 PM ------

Thank u uncle D. That helps. So basically I would need to have the vin approved by customs?
Not necessary. DOT has published the last acceptable VIN. Any beyond that one are a no. Get me the VIN and I'll look it up for you.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:46 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Ok thank u. When I find a truck I'm interested I'll let you know. Thank u very much for your help and hopefully I can do this without breaking any international laws
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:48 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

The 97 trucks allowed here were NAS specific, which meant they needed certain things to comply with the USA rules..biggest change for NAS (North America spec) vs ROW ( rest of world) trucks was the addition of the rollcages, hence the nas 110 trucks all had external rollcages and the 90 all had that funky looking rollover protection..nas trucks were also sold off into other countries and can be reimported as Doug mentioned, there are quite a few Japanese spec trucks here that were nas compliant but with different turn signals etc.. Much easier just to buy a cheaper one here and build it into the automatic (all 97s were auto and only autos were 97..).that you want, this way you can have the engine etc you want and keep your kidneys, just not your sanity or wife in some instances..
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:53 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Lol well my fiancé already has 2 other vital organs of mine in a jar so keeping the kidneys is a good thing. I had one importer telling me that trucks can be imported if this or that were done or without motor and tranny and I wanted to ask here because it didn't sound right

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat