Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT View Post
I just figured you guys who live and breathe this stuff would know the answer to this but if you guys wanna think you can get in trouble by answering my question then you really know zero about how the justice system works and if your gonna give cute little sarcastic replies back why bother.
http://bit.ly/1DVKVR2

The first link there has some excellent information that will help you in your search.

And please forgive the sarcasm, the guys here do live and breathe this stuff but we all get fed up with answering the same questions over and over.

Personally I imported my own defender before I found this forum, and I poured over the EPA and DOT guidelines until I understood the legalese behind bringing a vehicle here legally. Read the sticky and the link above and it will help you being your journey.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i think the basic issue is that there is no substitute for what you want. You want a very specific truck and there is no other way to accomplish your goal.

sorry, but you will have to either:

1. keep looking until you find a bargain on a 97le auto nas
2. lower your standards and settle for a different year / trans.

importing some grey market parts or finding some random 1997 d90 from overseas that just might be importable does nothing to change the fact that you will never have the vin of a genuine nas of the type you want.

sorry.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
NJT
Nick
none

What the hell is a sticky ?

------ Follow up post added November 3rd, 2014 07:02 PM ------

Lol oh I thought u were saying my question was sticky meaning suspicious. I just realized its a forum thing. I told u I was new here Sorry about that. Sigh why can't I just want a BMW like everyone else around here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:03 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT View Post
What the hell is a sticky ?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=7536

If you are viewing on the app there is a tab that says 'stickies' at the top of the page when you are browsing.

Once you enter a thread you won't see that. So hit vehicles for sale, and there should be a 'stickies' tab
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Ok. I think I got all the ammo I need now to do this correctly. Thanks guys for all your help. Sorry for all the confusion.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Some are posting misinformation.

To be clear there are 97 fuel injected lhd v8 NAS spec trucks out there that were shipped to other markets around the world. They have Land Rover's sticker in the left foot well saying they comply to the US EPA and DOT requirements for the 1997 model year. Those trucks were never here and shipping them here would not be re-importing them. Some can come here, some cannot. Land Rover got its hand spanked by DOT for making trucks past August 97 and still calling them 97's. some are eligible for import others are not as I said before. No defender manufactured after August 97 can be imported and brought up to "code" since there is no frigging way anyone can add the SRS system for anything less than a kings ransom.

Any vehicle that has been imported to the US either by the manufacturer or grey market that leaves the US has to go through the process all over again if it has been outside the US for longer than 12 mos.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:26 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Ok. So I think I'm just better off finding one here. There is a 94 90 fastback for sale lhd that was converted to automatic I may go look at
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3122945257.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	106319  
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:48 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Ask your importer if he will reimburse you the money if they get seized or rejected at the border.... That should get him to give you the right answer..
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM
NJT
Nick
none

Lol. That's my worry. Trying to get $ back from a Con man in Japan might take up my entire weekend :p.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:58 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Sent you a private message
Old November 29th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Guys, couldn't find the manufacture date on my 97 defender from Japan. I opened up the hood and found a sticker saying "This vehicle conforms to US EPA regulations applicable to 1997 model year new light-duty trucks and state of California regulations applicable to 1997 model year new medium-duty vehicles." Does this mean it's importable? Where in the driver section can I find the year of manufacture? I crawled all over my floor mat and found nothing...

Please let me know and thanks!
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:38 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Look on the driver's side kick panel. It will have more information. The VIN is the actual thing that matters, and I am sure Uncle D will tell you if it's legal in the US or not if you send it to him via PM.

Old November 30th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

The Doc and Doug are right. I have a 97 Japan Spec automatic sitting in a garage Dubai right now waiting to be traded away for a clunker pre-89 110 because the DOT barcode VIN sticker that is against the left drivers side footwell wall was removed. As he said the VIN must match the list of acceptable DOT VINs. I believe the last month of 1997 D90 imports to the USA was September 1997. My D90 was built in November 97. So I was doubly screwed. No DOT sticker, no authorized pre-Sep 97 VIN, no go to import.
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Buckwheat View Post
The Doc and Doug are right. I have a 97 Japan Spec automatic sitting in a garage Dubai right now waiting to be traded away for a clunker pre-89 110 because the DOT barcode VIN sticker that is against the left drivers side footwell wall was removed. As he said the VIN must match the list of acceptable DOT VINs. I believe the last month of 1997 D90 imports to the USA was September 1997. My D90 was built in November 97. So I was doubly screwed. No DOT sticker, no authorized pre-Sep 97 VIN, no go to import.
Sept 1st 1997 was the start of the 98 model year and had to have airbags.

From DOT's publication:
Land Rover
Defender 90
(manufactured before
9/1/97) VIN
"SALDV224*VA" or
"SALDV324*VA"
1997 432 NHTSA-2004 17022

------ Follow up post added November 30th, 2014 11:01 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Look on the driver's side kick panel. It will have more information. The VIN is the actual thing that matters, and I am sure Uncle D will tell you if it's legal in the US or not if you send it to him via PM.
We had already done that, he didn't like what I told him (same cut and paste I posted here) and was trolling for someone else's opinion. Didn't even say thanks for taking the time for looking up his VIN. His VIN is beyond 324.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 30th, 2014, 11:41 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf

Doug,

So does this mean any 93 110 is eligible for import through an RI?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	107810  
Old November 30th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf

Doug,

So does this mean any 93 110 is eligible for import through an RI?
I have written volumes on this subject, so one last time for the record. I'm in the business of shipping and importing vehicles for clients and this is going to sound discouraging but my response only applies to the ROW 1993 110, and trying to utilize this loophole in our import law, which is more of a ghost worm hole than a loophole that can be utilized.

A 1993 110 can be brought in via an RI and brought up to US EPA/DOT standards for that model year IF and only if the truck:

was built as a left hand drive truck
was built with a fuel injected v8 of the same spec as approved by EPA

The truck cannot have had an engine swap and cannot be a lhd conversion.

1)The truck would need to have the full SD cage installed
2)The full evaporative emissions system system with charcoal canister and venting etc installed
3)catalytic converters installed with O2 sensors

Notes:
1)To my knowledge the only lhd fuel injected V8's Land Rover built from Aug 92-Aug 93 were for the North American market so they are already here.
2) A bond equal to the value of the truck has to be posted with customs in order for it to leave the port so the Registered Importer can perform the work required. The bond will only be released when the truck has been tested and approved by both epa and dot. (remember the movie rain man ?)
3) the EPA and DOT inspections are exhorbitantly expensive and the truck must be moved to the testing sites under bond (5 figures)
4) Costs to buy a 93 110 worthy of this process (as mentioned above it already doesn't exist) and then ship it to the US and go through this process will easily exceed the price of a solid, numbered, limited edition, NAS 110 already here. The bond for work performed and testing is a pretty tight timeline.

If you find a factory lhd fuel injected v8 93 110 out there I'd like to know about it as I have yet to hear of one in the 8 plus years I have been doing this. Many have looked but none have found one.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat