Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Question about a 97 gear shifter

Random question: Do the 97 gear shifters on top of the center console have lights beneath the indicators for Drive, Reverse, Park, etc.? If so, I guess my wiring is messed up, it's such a pain in the ass to shift at night without the indicators...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I dont think I have ever noticed that in mine.. Now I'll have to look tonight.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

Yes they do. Your bulbs might be dead. It's about a 10 minute job to replace them, depending on how good you are at removing your console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Ah ha. Got any tips on removing the auto console? What type of bulbs are they? I won't lie...I'm a noob

Old January 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

It is pretty easy, put the shifter in neutral, then pry the little rectangular piece out of the shifter, carefully pry off the L bracket (becareful to rebend when you reinstall this so it stays, or you will be unable to shift.) Then take out the button, spring and plastic tab. Use a 3/4 deep-well socket to remove the nut.

The console comes out after you remove the inside of the cubby/glove box and the 3 screws underneath. The front should have two little rubber/plastic stays on the outside holding it in place.

Old January 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Yes, there are lights. No, you don't need to remove the console. Just pop the bezel off by pushing forward on it and pulling up. Then on each side there are two bulbs. You have to have tiny hands to get in there. that's the hardest part. but if you pull on the bulb holders they will come out. If you let go of them they will retract down into the console at which point you just have to remove the cubby tray and reach in and push them back up thru the holes. Not difficult but a pain if you have large hands.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Just did this in my '97 a few weeks ago. Brian's is probably the best fix but I ended up lifting up the console due to my Shrek-sized hands. Just note that the shifter lifts right off when everything's off and be sure not to lose any of the smaller pieces.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:13 AM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Guys, thanks for the advice. I'm going to attempt this probably this weekend. I didn't know you could just lift the bezel off by pressing forward then up. Is it just me, or am I stupid for being nervous to try this; as this console/shifter piece is a bitch to replace if broken... Oh well, no guts; no glory right? Anyways, anybody know the type of bulbs I have to have ready to do this? And is there supposed to be a rubber seal between the console and the bezel? Mine has a good couple of centimeters between the surface of the console and the bezel. Thanks

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Ryan,
Its an easy job if you have the fingers of a piano player, push the bezel forward and it "should-ha.!" pop off the 2 pips that hold the front down.

IMHO it is easier to remove the cubby tub and reach under the console to pull the bulbs, they are 12V5w wedge style bulbs.

I replaced mine with leds to hopefully avoid replacing them again. :http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10...lb-p-1545.html.

the pics show my console with the bezel loose on the top and a pic of the bare shifter you can see the bulb holders in the side
have fun
regards all
Gren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24601   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1421 (Large).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	24602  

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Nope, shouldn't be any seal or anything under the bezel. It will always be a little loose.

Gren, Is that an Ashcroft console or a Genuine LR console?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Guys, awesome. Gren, I'm assuming you went with the 501/194/T10 Mini Light Tower 9 Leds Xenon White bulb? I'm guessing one for each side of the shifter? This is the 6th brightest bulb they make. Assuming it's just plug and play?

Old January 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
If you have skinny arms, you can also pop the radio out and reach in to change the bulbs with one hand.
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:58 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I agree you don't need to remove the console to change those bulbs, but if you want to remove it there are some details here:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LEDflasher.html

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi chaps, its a genuine console that was damaged on the rear panel and bottom edge by a muppet that kicked it about a barn whie trying to fit it to a racer, it cost me 200 off ebay I trimmed the rear and bottom to fit the bukhead and filled the back with a new piece of abs and glued in place, now its clean i'm very pleased.
the bulkhead does limit the lid opening to 45deg or so but i'll make a new thinner top to sort that when i get time.
yes ryan it was plug an play and just as bright as the bulbs but hopefully longer lasting.

regards

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags