question about 110 engine ID - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

question about 110 engine ID

I'm going to pull the existing 4 cyl petrol out of my 83 110 and put it up for sale eventually, but am not sure exactly what it is...is there an engine ID page on the web somewhere that anyone knows about? I've been asked if it is a 3 or 5 main bearing engine and don't have an answer...the number cast onto the side of the block is HR6 1366 in case anyone on this list happens to know...
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Some help here with numbers

I suspect it is probably a 5 bearing already, as they changed from 3 to 5 bearings back in the series 3 2.2litre production so your 110 (if the engine is all original) 2.5 should be 5.

3 bearing engines have prefix 901 & 904

5 bearing have prefix 361

Taken from wikipedia.....
  • 2286 cc petrol/diesel, overhead valve type 11J: 5 bearing crank: In 1980, Land Rover finally did something about the crank failures which had plagued its four cylinder engines for 22 years. The new crank was so strong that Land Rover could (and did) get away with using the same crank for petrol and diesel engines. These engines lasted beyond the end of Series III production and into the first couple of years of the new Ninety and One Ten ranges.
  • 3528 cc V8 Petrol: The ex-Buick all alloy V8 engine appeared in the Range Rover right from the start of production in 1970, but did not make its way into the company's utility vehicles until 1979.
  • 2495 cc petrol, overhead valve: The final development of Land Rover's ohv petrol 'four', with hardened valve seats which allow running on unleaded (or LPG).
  • 2495 cc diesel, overhead valve, type 12J: Land Rover reworked the old 'two and a quarter' diesel for the Eighties. The injection pump was now driven off a toothed belt at the front of the engine (together with the camshaft) which fixed the pump timing drift problem of the older diesels, and the increase in capacity provided a bit more power. Slow but strong, simple and dependable, this engine remains popular.
  • 2495 cc turbodiesel, overhead valve, type 19J: Given the strength and reliability of the 2.5 diesel, Land Rover thought it would cope with turbocharging, but the engine proved to be prone to internal cracks developing in the cylinder block due to the increased pressures brought about by the turbo.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jamie,
Thanks for that URL...great info...I see that the number I need is on the other side of the block and will check tonite...I was told the engine in my 110 is a 2.25L petrol and not a 2.5L...reading the info on Rover engine history, I wonder if its possible to convert this block to diesel since the 2.25L serial numbers for diesel and petrol are the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
George you dont want to convert a gas engine ti diesel.....you could buy many used Tdi engines for what the parts would cost.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

just curious...just in case it was EZ...costlier kills it for sure...
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Since you have got a running 5MB 2.25 petrol, sell it to a series guy a buy a 200tdi take out from the UK (make sure to get one complete and make sure it is from a defender).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, engine