Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Z O O R O P A
Jeremy/James
Defender/Discovery

Question

I was just wondering what/how you all feel about this:

is that safe?

do you use your seats or how do you use them (kids, adults, both,etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Absolutely NOT safe. Babies barely have enough neck and upper body strength to keep their heads vertical when they are sitting still. They don't have the ability to resist that side to side motion from simple braking and accellerating, hard stops especially....which is why they are supposed to sit backwards when very young.

Bench seat in the back is the preferred option, front seat would be the only other viable choice. Or, do what I plan on doing, and build a little baby sub-cage in the back between the seats :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Definitely not safe, and in some states could cause you to get a ticket.

If you want to put a child seat in a Defender you should really have a bench seat in the back. I'm not sure, but the forward facing jump seats like the ones Exmoor offers may be ok, but the sideways jump seats are definitely not appropriate for a child seat.
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Z O O R O P A
Jeremy/James
Defender/Discovery

can they accomodate an adult? I've never sat in them

say 160lbs 5'9 or something .... just curious as I was reading a review of the new defender and how the new seating is "controversial" since they got rid of the inward facing seats and replaced them with 2 forward facing seats that are not suppose to be very comfy. Incedently, I think the 7 seat option in the D2 is awesome and accomodates very tall adults comfortably. But I never thought of a D90 as anything more than a 2 seater .... can adults fit back there for an hour or so and not be miserable?
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, its not ideal, and it isn't really comfortable, but it is doable. The Disco jump seats are really not meant for adults either. The D90 ones are just uncomfortable because you are constantly fighting to hold yourself upright, and you feel like you are in a military transport. On the other hand, the Disco Jump seats leave even short adults chewing on their knees.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
My buddy destroyed one of my rear seats...6'2 230lbs+, I went over a bump and he came crashing down on the seat...
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Ade, did your buddy happen to have the support for the seat base tucked under the seat? Or was it stretched out forward of the seat? I have seen many jump seat bottoms get destroyed by people that did not tuck them up underneath where they belong. They might be very uncomfortable, but are pretty stout if deployed properly.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I'm almost sure it was tucked under. The of the wood frame pieces cracked and the cardboard backing split... When I went over the bump, he cranked his head into the ceiling and came down pretty hard, the jumpseat didn't stand a chance!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

safe or not... in most states it's not legal.

For example, Colorado specifies reverse facing car seat then forward facing booster for quite a few years. I'd imagine most states would have similar laws

so in mine... baby goes in the front seat wife goes in the back...
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z O O R O P A
can they accomodate an adult? I've never sat in them

say 160lbs 5'9 or something .... just curious as I was reading a review of the new defender and how the new seating is "controversial" since they got rid of the inward facing seats and replaced them with 2 forward facing seats that are not suppose to be very comfy. Incedently, I think the 7 seat option in the D2 is awesome and accomodates very tall adults comfortably. But I never thought of a D90 as anything more than a 2 seater .... can adults fit back there for an hour or so and not be miserable?

yea i agree that in most, if not all, states a baby facing sideways is illegal as well. which is why i went and ordered up a pair of the seats you are referring to (the new defender forward facing rear seats) so i can bring along my baby in the defender. i haven't gotten around to installing them just yet, mainly bc it's a big project. the wheel wells have to be cut bc the in the new defenders they are lower to provide headroom.

new defender wheel wells: http://picasaweb.google.com/beaumont...ey=I-UHD2oOrRI

if anyone has done this yet i'd love to know how they went about it. i'm not an expert welder but am considering taking up the craft to get this done.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Remember, the wheel wells are aluminum. I have never welded aluminum personally. I know it can be done, in fact, I believe my welder can accommodate it, but my understanding is that it takes practice, and is somewhat more difficult (at least for beginners) than welding steel.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

yea good point.

another issue is the support mechanism underneath. i've done some digging and haven't had any luck whatsoever trying to secure that skeleton looking sub frame that you see in the pictures.

so instead i was envisioning a tubular support frame underneath that the seat can attach to once the wheel well is reformed. i guess i just need to find a fabricator with a creative mind who wouldn't mind tackling the project... haven't had luck w/ that either!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Have you checked with George at RDS? I would be surprised if he couldn't get it for you. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just get the Exmoor version, or did you? I thought the Exmoor ones were just a plug n play so to speak.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You should be able to bend the edges of a piece of aluminum cut to cover the hole made when you cut the wheel well and rivet it in place. Would look no different than the rest of the defender.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Z O O R O P A
Jeremy/James
Defender/Discovery

thought this might help
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Have you checked with George at RDS? I would be surprised if he couldn't get it for you. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just get the Exmoor version, or did you? I thought the Exmoor ones were just a plug n play so to speak.
haven't reached out to him but will do now that you mention it. the support underneath would be great to have bc it has the seat mounting holes built into it, making the installation really straightforward.

i decided on these land rover seats instead of the exmoor ones purely for aesthetic reasons. basically, i liked the way the land rover ones folded and stowed... nice and compact. the back folds down and then the whole thing tips up into stowed position. with the exmoor seats, in my mind, they took up more room above the wheel well with the way that they folded and turned into position above the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
You should be able to bend the edges of a piece of aluminum cut to cover the hole made when you cut the wheel well and rivet it in place. Would look no different than the rest of the defender.
I like this idea bc hypothetically i can eliminate the need for any welding, right? plus, the carpet will cover everything when complete. the only thing i would have to figure out after the new wheel well is riveted into place would be what sort of support mechanism underneath to fabricate (if i can't get that piece from George).
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
VERY UNSAFE. IF you love yoru child, do not do this...
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:03 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallest1
I like this idea bc hypothetically i can eliminate the need for any welding, right? plus, the carpet will cover everything when complete. the only thing i would have to figure out after the new wheel well is riveted into place would be what sort of support mechanism underneath to fabricate (if i can't get that piece from George).
No welding necessary unless you find you need to make custom brackets you might. But that's easy.

charles
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Having had a chance to study the new back seat setup, I think the easiest way to install the new seats is just to swap the tub for a new style one.

Old June 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM
tallest1
john derosa
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Having had a chance to study the new back seat setup, I think the easiest way to install the new seats is just to swap the tub for a new style one.
haha... yea jim good point. that would probably be the right way to go and that's what mike at ecr told me as well. but for me at the moment i'm trying to avoid going this route bc i think it would be much more expensive to find and purchase a euro tub and i would probably get much less for my nas tub. i suppose i'm also just exploring the "fabricate" route before exploring the "rebuild" route at the moment as well.

however, with that said, do you know where i can find a euro tub and/or how much they would be? and also what i would be able to get for my nas tub if i were to sell it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat