Puma Defender on TD5 chassis. Legal for Canada import? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 26th, 2015, 09:42 AM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Cool Puma Defender on TD5 chassis. Legal for Canada import?

Opinions of purchasing a 2000 and a 2012+ Defender 110 and swapping the frames. It is a grey area, and has been done before here in Canada. Is it legal? Is it risky?

I have seen a few 2012+ Defenders here in Canada, where the frames were swapped with a pre 2000 in order to be imported (or claimed to have been). Puma motor, puma interior intact.

When the Dash vin and Chassis match the paper work is this technically allowed? Obviously in the USA this would not fly as the motor and trans don't match, but Canada is much more flexible. And to note that Defenders being possibly the most rebuildable vehicle in the world, this could have been built up technically with only parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2015, 10:18 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Jeff:
I think legally you import the correctly legal vehicle.
Once it's here, you can buy whatever parts you want and make whatever changes you desire.
Anything else is risky and could be viewed as getting around the system.
I am definitely not an expert on these matters, but think this common sense approach is much safer.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
moving to chit chat. Read the whats legal thread. i doubt Canada allows VIN swaps which is essentially what you are proposing.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I'm sure it varies from Province to Province but VIN swapping is still illegal. What constitutes that here is hard to pin down, but I think what you're suggesting is pretty clearly vin swapping.

In Ontario you can replace chassis and pretty much any parts once it's here, I've got to wonder about the engine though as it doesn't seem to make sense that you could put a non compliant engine in it. All vehicles after 1999 need to be plugged in for their E-test here and that would be problematic I imagine (well i guess it wouldn't if you lied about what it is)

I know there are Puma's rolling around in Ontario but honestly I really hate to see this happening so that people can skirt the rules and make a quick buck. Things are pretty good for us right now in terms of importing and upgrading. This is the sort of thing that caused all the problems in the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 26th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I have been importing 3 defenders in the last 6 years, The first one was easy, second was was a real pain in the ....

You will not get away with a 2012 body on a td5 chassis. You can try but it will be very expensive for you!
The last one i did i used all 2011 doors etc on a 1997 110. On a galvanized chassis.

They look for the vins if you mess with the vins your card will be seized.
Its a very big risk.
You will be be better of to import a dismantled 2012 in a container as parts and build it back up in your garage on a new galvanized chassis. Then you know what to do but i am not typing that

Otherwise you have no chance! at least in BC not sure in the other Provinces but i can only assume it will be the same.
One more thing future importers always forget. Getting a defender in the country is easy! getting it insured is going to be very tough. They now what to kook for and they will not insure it if they think in away that car is tampered with or not a real 15 year old one car. I had to support my rebuild with pictures and invoices to proof my car was a genuine rebuild and not a vin swap.

But if you manage to get a 2012 in Canada let me know
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:37 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Guess it's not a good idea. Better to just get Galvinsed doors and Chassis. Thanks for the input guys!
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
If DVLA in UK still issues age related registration on the basis of points, you can take the Td5 and put a 2012 body and engine but just check that you are compliant on the points. Body and interior do not count for much points, engine does moreso. If you replace the chassis with new galvanized one that is a direct replacement you can keep the age related reg and points for that. I had my 1998 Tdi rebuilt this way by following the DVLA rules and keeping my original VIN. BUT CHECK the DVLA rules as they may have changed since then.
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Vins are located in several places. Now if they don't match, thats when it becomes interesting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import, td5