Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Pulled over for speeding (long story)

I don't post a lot on this thread but have bought and sold a few items. I thought I would share this with the forum. I left a clients on my way to my office this morning about 10 am headed up I 85 north in Atlanta and was in a hurry because I had another client at my office picking up his tax return (yes I am in the heights of tax season) so I was not paying attention and driving fast ( as fast as my TD5 will go) when all of the sudden I see blue lights in my mirror. I think maybe he needs to go by but alas it's me he is stoping so I pull several lanes over and he walks up to the car and says with a straight face " I did not get a good read on you but you were going 80+ mph". I look at him and start to laugh. I think that pissed him off a little but he asks me what is so funny and my reply is. 80 mph shit this truck will start falling apart at that speed. He see's no humor and tries to convince me that a trucks like mine will easily do well over 90 asks for my drivers license and heads back to the car to run my license. I worry for a minute that it might be suspended ( just because I worry like that). After about 15 minutes and me texting my insurance agent, wife and office that I will be late he brings me a citation for " improper change of lanes" because when he pulled me over I did not use my blinker. My response is that he must be joking. Agin not funny to the nice officer. I sign the ticket say a few 1st amendment stuff I should not have and drive off to the office for another day day of getting my head beat in until the 17th ( yes DC has amanciaption day). What I took away from it is that I have one bad ass D110 That will fly on the highway. What the police took away from it is probably $200 and a good laugh about stopping a guy and giving getting a freebie for the county. By the way if you want to race come to Atlanta Ga. Shawn Orth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Why didn't you signal?
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
He probably did, but the blinker lights fell off the truck when he was doing 80+ mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
In any normal car, I would usually say that the police officer was probably 2 inches from the rear of your bumper when he turned his sirens on, so seeing your blinker would be nearly impossible, but you have a 110 and the lights are clearly pretty high. Oh well.
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Get a lawyer and make it go away. Usually cheaper in the long run.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Last time I got pulled over was for no front tag on the NSX. It happens quite often, so when I saw the PO make a u-turn at flick the lights, I figured correctly that it was for me. Once on the side of the road, she started saying how I pulled over too quickly? WTF? I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. Would she rather if I drove a mile or so before pulling over?
(That was 15minutes after being pulled over and getting a speeding ticket. Not a great day)
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I think the shock of getting pulled over on the highway in a 110 plus the fact i have been working a 100+ hours a week trying to finish with tax season caused a laps in reason so i did not use my blinkers. i could have tried the "I dont think they work" but I did not realize that was what I was getting a ticket for and they do work. I just think he needed to give me a ticket for something since he had pulled me over for "speeding" but he could not get a good radar on green machine.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Getting pulled over for speeding in my '61 Series was a proud day.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
School Zone?
That's my only shot at a ticket in my 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
I once managed to get a speeding ticket in my '66 88. As you said, something to be proud of.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Your lawyer will get you off. He had no probable cause to pull you over as by his own admission he didn't have a speed reading on you. Judge won't want the headache and the officer probably won't bother to show up. Surprised he didn't ticket you for illegally parking on the side of the road at the same time. On the other hand, if he can make your 110 go 90 mph, have him give me a call as I'd like him to do some work on my 110, it tops out at 78 mph with a 200TDi.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I will do that. I would like to go 90 mph but would be worried that bolts might start falling off.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Were you going down a steep hill with a stiff wind at your back? Mine has got up to 84 mph that way. Felt like flying in a 1960's vintage helicopter. 40,000 parts moving roughly in the same direction.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
That is true. My truck is nice but not a nimble or fast machine. Still I was a little proud that someone would think I was going that fast. Maybe it looks faster because it is a sleek looking 110.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I was pulled over for burning out the tires leaving a friends house. Told the cop if he could get it to burnout he could cart me to or come up with a better excuse. think he wanted to see if I was drinking.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got nailed today myself coming back from Uwharrie....73 in a 60, so pissed - that's barely a ticket! I almost pulled the "there's no way this old bag of bolts will go that fast" but decided to zip it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Shawn, here's some inspiration from a Physicist who proved his innocence from running through a stop sign.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...m_campaign=rss

Credit - Wired

A physicist faced with a fine for running a stop sign has proved his innocence by publishing a mathematical paper, and has even won a prize for his efforts.
Dmitri Krioukov is a physicist based at the University of California in San Diego. When faced with a court hearing over allegedly driving through a stop sign, he put together a paper called The Proof of Innocence, which he has since published. The abstract for the paper reads: "A way to fight your traffic tickets." The paper was awarded a special prize of $400 that the author did not have to pay to the state of California.
Krioukov's argument is based upon the premise that three coincidences happened at the same time to make the police officer believe that he had seen the physicist run a red light, when, in fact, he hadn't. He writes: "[In this paper], we show that if a car stops at a stop sign, an observer, e.g., a police officer, located at a certain distance perpendicular to the car trajectory, must have an illusion that the car does not stop, if the following three conditions are satisfied: (1) The observer measures not the linear but angular speed of the car; (2) The car decelerates and subsequently accelerates relatively fast; and (3) There is a short-time obstruction of the observer's view of the car by an external object, e.g., another car, at the moment when both cars are near the stop sign."
As Physics Central explains, because the police officer was around 30m from the intersection where the stop sign was situated, "a car approaching the intersection with constant linear velocity will rapidly increase in angular velocity from the police officer's perspective."
The physicist even created graphs showing what would have happened to his angular velocity if he had either been driving at a constant linear velocity or had made a quick stop and then accelerated back to speed, which is what he claims happens (actually, he sneezed, causing him to brake harder than usual). It was during this sneeze stop that another vehicle obscured the police officer's view of Krioukov's car, argues the paper.
The conclusion of the paper? It isn't the police officer's fault but he/she was wrong as their "perception of reality did not properly reflect reality." Bet that's a statement the other officers loved to remind them of.
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I was pulled over once in my 90 outside of DC (Arlington, GW parkway). Similar story, seeing that's a known area where people speed (and I was just getting on the road, read: flooring it to try to not get rear-ended when merging) I usually try to stay under 50 there. Almost immediately I see lights (I was doing under 35 at this point) and am pulled over. The officer (who first asks me to move over to what is my passenger seat...) tells me that he saw a plume of black smoke that only happens when one is flooring it, 'reckless driving'. I probably shouldn't have said 'that's what I have to do to merge on this road and not get rear ended by traffic, this car is really slow'. He mumbles something about right-hand-drive being illegal and how he was doing me a favor for not ticketing me, runs my plates/insurance and lets me go. Honestly I have no idea what to make of that other than, he was bored.
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Well park police are ass clowns.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat