Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Pulled over for hella lights

Two nights ago I was pulled over by a California sheriff for driving with exposed hella lights. He said there is a law that states the hella type lights must have a cover over them on public streets. He then proceeds to tell me it's a "hefty ticket, like running a stop sign." I said thank you for the info, I hadn't ever heard that law, and my Hellas aren't hooked up anyways." He left me with a warning and I simply removed my roof mounted lights.

So has anyone else ever encounters this?? I was cruising around town yesterday and saw bunches of jeeps with exposed hella lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I dont know the law (i thought they just couldnt be on, but i believe it varies state to state), but if you are a younger looking guy, with Hella lights on the "Jeep" it just attracts attention from cops or at least from my experience, i try to avoid unnecessary police attention.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:37 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Indiana....via Google.

1. Headlight Laws
    • Headlights vary in size and mounting location, depending on the type and age of the vehicle. Indiana law requires all motor vehicles, except motorcycles, to have two operating head lamps using not more than 300 candlepower. One of the lamps must be placed "on each side of the front of the motor vehicle." The height of the lamp must measure "not less than 24 inches and not more than 54 inches" from the center of the headlight, according to Indiana Code 9-19-6.
    Off-Road Vehicles Operating on Public Roads

• Indiana Code 14-16-1-20 mandates that vehicles used normally for off road activities may also use public roads between sunset and sunrise provided the vehicle has at least one headlight and one tail lamp. Counties may impose additional requirements to the state law provided the laws meet "substantially the minimum requirements" of the state legislation.

Tail Lamp Laws

• Public Law 34-2010, effective July 1, 2010, specifies that "motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers" operating on public highways must have two working tail lamps. Exemptions include truck-tractor combinations, tractors that also serve as semitrailers for operation in farming and vehicles made prior to 1956. Motorcycles and snowmobiles are also exempted from this law. The red light must be "plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear," according to Indiana Code 9-19-6-4. The height of the tail lamp must measure not less than 20 inches and not more than 72 inches from the ground. The tail lamp law also mandates that the rear license be illuminated when operating the car after sunset.
    Spot and Fog Lamps

• Two additional spot lamps, sometimes called rally lights, and two fog lamps may also be used on autos. Indiana Code 9-19-6-14 requires the lights to be mounted on the front between 12 and 30 inches above the ground. The light direction must not rise above four inches from the exact location of the additional lamp when projected 25 feet ahead of the car. This prevents the light from temporarily blinding drivers in the opposing traffic lanes. The law mandates only four lights operate at any one time, including the two main headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24402.htm

They were on your roof? If so, then yes they need to be covered. If they are on your bumper, (and there are no more than two) then they would be considered to be auxiliary driving lamps, and can be uncovered. You can even use them to supplement your high beams, as per this CA VC.
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

In CA if you are running roof mounted lights then you should have covers on them if you are on public roadways. That being said its all down to the officer and how they're feeling that day. I've ran mine for a year and a half with no hassle from johnny law with no covers..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:53 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I grew up in NOR CAL and have been pulled over 25 years ago for the same thing, I had a FJ-40 with KC lights on it. I was told the same thing about it being a hefty fine, I covered them with t-shirts as I remember to get off without a fine.

It was the only time I was ever messed with for the lights being uncovered. I would just keep the covers in the car in case it happens again.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
FWIW...Virginia is exactly the same. Any accessory lights must have "non-transparent" covers on them at all times when operating on public roads. They will not pass state inspection without them as well...

It depends - ALWAYS on the cop and the inspecting station. My Ford has 4 bumper mounted Warn HID's...I took it to a local guy he wouldn't pass it because of this law. I took it to Ford, they passed it and didn't even say anything...never been pulled over by a cop so I don't know what they would say??
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This is good to know. I'm going to put mine back on, even though they don't do it here in NC that I'm aware of.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I have heard that you need to cover auxillary lights when on a public road. It is technically a law.
However, you'd have to be a total douche-nozzle (as a cop) to actually pull somebody over for it!
I rolled around for years with no inspection sticker on my vintage 911 and only got an inspection sticker on my 110 within the past 6 months. Most cops don't sweat that small stuff. I could attribute that to the fact that I'm not 20 years old anymore, but still that's mighty douchy of a cop to light you up for no covers on Hellas. Were you pulling out of a trail onto the road? maybe he thought your were harvesting a *crop* or something?
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
FWIW...Virginia is exactly the same. Any accessory lights must have "non-transparent" covers on them at all times when operating on public roads. They will not pass state inspection without them as well...

It depends - ALWAYS on the cop and the inspecting station. My Ford has 4 bumper mounted Warn HID's...I took it to a local guy he wouldn't pass it because of this law. I took it to Ford, they passed it and didn't even say anything...never been pulled over by a cop so I don't know what they would say??
I have gotten so much grief from local inspection stations with the 90...I only take to to the LR dealership now. They basically all stand around taking pictures with it and then put a new sticker on!
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

I am not surprised to hear this, we have the same law in VT. Not positive on bumper vs. roof mounted lights, but they need to be covered. Though I did drive around for a couple months with 4 exposed lights on the roof(random brand the PO bought without covers) with no issues.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:39 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Two nights ago I was pulled over by a California sheriff for driving with exposed hella lights. He said there is a law that states the hella type lights must have a cover over them on public streets. He then proceeds to tell me it's a "hefty ticket, like running a stop sign." I said thank you for the info, I hadn't ever heard that law, and my Hellas aren't hooked up anyways." He left me with a warning and I simply removed my roof mounted lights.

So has anyone else ever encounters this?? I was cruising around town yesterday and saw bunches of jeeps with exposed hella lights.
Surprised he had nothing to say about the ambulance lights!
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

This is seriously ridiculous... I could understand it if you were flashing them, imitating an emergency vehicle, but just driving down the street? I am glad the CA govt saved all of us from a set of roof lights.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:01 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
This is seriously ridiculous... I could understand it if you were flashing them, imitating an emergency vehicle, but just driving down the street? I am glad the CA govt saved all of us from a set of roof lights.
Plus, I think he keeps them angled IN at his truck. Was the cop afraid you'd accidentally blind yourself through the sunroof?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43477
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:18 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think the law is there to provide a physical interlock for operation of the lights.

Letting someone go with a warning for violating the law seems like a very nice thing to do.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Were you pulling out of a trail onto the road? maybe he thought your were harvesting a *crop* or something?
Ha! No. Actually my wife and infant son were in the car and we were turning onto our neighborhood street. He whipped around, lights raging and literally pulled me over as I was about to turn into my driveway. I asked him if I could let my wife and son out to walk inside our house. I think he was expecting some punk kid.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
I think he was expecting some punk kid.
That's my guess. In the Series, no one expects a 20 year old kid in it, other than doing something extremely stupid, the police don't really bother me.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Pretty sure roof mounted lights are not legal in WV. There was a Jeep Liberty with roof mounted lights that was not sold there.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

A few years ago my wife was pulled over in our neighborhood in her 97 SW. The cop was expecting to find a teenager, not my pregnant wife.

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:41 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

I got stoppped for my rear utility light being uncovered. Covered with a trash bag and a tie wrap...that lasted about 2 miles. But the red necks with the lifted, ragged out pick ups are ok to run uncovered and using the off road lights for brights on the road.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, lights