Years ago, I once had covers on some aux lights on my series III bumper than went to Knotts berry farm with my ex and left the cat inside with windows slightly open (cold day). The cat accidentally turn the switch on when it jumped on the dash and by the time I got back at the end of the day, the covers melted off. Luckily the battery didn't die. Amazing.
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"