Puerto Rico for 5 days...best bets? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,542
Registry
Puerto Rico for 5 days...best bets?

Hey all,

my GF and I are heading to Puerto Rico for 5 days and have the following already planned:

Isla Verde, Condado, Old San Juan
Loquillo Beach surfing
El Yunque hikes / ziplines
Vieques beaches and bio-bay

We're planning to avoid Fajardo as it doesn't seem to be too tourist friendly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do/see/eat/stay while we are there? We don't plan to go any further west than the SJU airport - spending most if not all of our time on the east side of the island.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:09 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
All the little kioskos eateries near de luquillo. Fun and cheap eating!
18 22'50.56" N 65 44'10.07" W

While in Viegues, rent a kayak in Espernaza and head to the little island about 1/2 klick south. Good snorkeling and nobody will be there so you can play around w/ the GF as well....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Akitatw4's Avatar
Akitatw4
Status: Offline
Tom
1995/D90
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nobleboro, ME USA
Posts: 172
Registry
Ponce is great and it looks like you have it all in hand. A very good albeit expensive meal is actually at the Caribe Hilton in the attached Asian restaurant called Lemongrass
http://www.lemongrasspr.com/

Enjoy, we really love PR.
__________________
"Be Polite, Be Professional, but have a Plan to Kill Everyone You Meet." - Gen. James Mattis, USMC
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1995 NAS D90- Alpine White 'Oink'
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:15 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Hey all,

my GF and I are heading to Puerto Rico for 5 days and have the following already planned:

Isla Verde, Condado, Old San Juan
Loquillo Beach surfing
El Yunque hikes / ziplines
Vieques beaches and bio-bay

We're planning to avoid Fajardo as it doesn't seem to be too tourist friendly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do/see/eat/stay while we are there? We don't plan to go any further west than the SJU airport - spending most if not all of our time on the east side of the island.
Dude, Seriously?!?! I'm offended you did not ask me first.

Anywhoo...

I can spend hours telling you where to go.

But in a nutshell.

Isla Verde, Condado and Old San Juan are tourist traps. Go there to do sightseeing and avoid buying anything there. If you want to shop, go to Plaza Las Americas in Hato Rey.

You don't surf in Luquillo. If you want to surf, go to this great place in Loiza (near Piñones) called Tocones. I know some of the Locals and I used to go there in my younger years.

El Yunque hikes / ziplines... This is awesome. Don't change your schedule. Try avoiding rivers and standing "ponds". PR has a parasite called Bilarcia. There is no known treatment or cure.

I strongly suggest Punta Arenas in Vieques. I used to go there every weekend on my boat for years. Very secluded and nice. Also go to Villa Esperanza.

Fajardo has 1 of 3 of the bio-bays in PR. I think there are 5 in the world. Go to El Conquistador Resort and ask at the front desk. Don't book the excursion at the Hotel. Just ask them where "La Villa de Pescadores" is. Once at the Villa de Pescadores (fisherman village), a very nice fat dude on a shitty boat will take you for a few "pesos" (dollars). You will go at dawn and once at the bio-bay, trip off (fall) of the boat. You'll never regret it.

If you want to eat the best Mofongo in the Island... Go to El Guateke.

Also, Bebo's Cafe is a great place to eat in Santurce.

I can also give you a detailed tour of Madrid and Malaga in Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Check with the 'Dro.

-Jeff
No kidding, right?
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Akitatw4's Avatar
Akitatw4
Status: Offline
Tom
1995/D90
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nobleboro, ME USA
Posts: 172
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Dude, Seriously?!?! I'm offended you did not ask me first.

Anywhoo...

I can spend hours telling you where to go.

But in a nutshell.

Isla Verde, Condado and Old San Juan are tourist traps. Go there to do sightseeing and avoid buying anything there. If you want to shop, go to Plaza Las Americas in Hato Rey.

You don't surf in Luquillo. If you want to surf, go to this great place in Loiza (near Piñones) called Tocones. I know some of the Locals and I used to go there in my younger years.

El Yunque hikes / ziplines... This is awesome. Don't change your schedule. Try avoiding rivers and standing "ponds". PR has a parasite called Bilarcia. There is no known treatment or cure.

I strongly suggest Punta Arenas in Vieques. I used to go there every weekend on my boat for years. Very secluded and nice. Also go to Villa Esperanza.

Fajardo has 1 of 3 of the bio-bays in PR. I think there are 5 in the world. Go to El Conquistador Resort and ask at the front desk. Don't book the excursion at the Hotel. Just ask them where "La Villa de Pescadores" is. Once at the Villa de Pescadores (fisherman village), a very nice fat dude on a shitty boat will take you for a few "pesos" (dollars). You will go at dawn and once at the bio-bay, trip off (fall) of the boat. You'll never regret it.

If you want to eat the best Mofongo in the Island... Go to El Guateke.

Also, Bebo's Cafe is a great place to eat in Santurce.

I can also give you a detailed tour of Madrid and Malaga in Spain.

No kidding, right?
That is awesome! Have been going to PR for a number of years and I have learned a couple of new places! Thanks!!
__________________
"Be Polite, Be Professional, but have a Plan to Kill Everyone You Meet." - Gen. James Mattis, USMC
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1995 NAS D90- Alpine White 'Oink'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
I think you should take her on a trip to the garage for 5 days and finish your truck. They take her for a romantic drive out to the wonderful Virginia wine country
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Explorer0863's Avatar
Explorer0863
Status: Offline
Tony Q
1957 Series I V8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando/San Juan
Posts: 303
Registry
Too bad you are not going to Rincon (west coast of the island). IMHO, one of the best areas of PR. In addition (shameless plug) my brother owns this place, http://www.besidethepointe.com/ and I can hook you up. Keep it in mind for your next trip. JetBlue, Spirit and Continental fly to BQN (old Ramey USAF Base) in the NW coast, about 20 minutes drive from Rincon.
__________________
Tony

Current:
1957 SI 88" 3.9L V8
1999 Disco 2 White Gold

Previous:
1999 Disco 2 Rioja Red
1994 RRC LWB
1991 RRC SWB
1995 RRC SWB
1969 IIA Sta Wgn 109" NADA #798/811
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akitatw4 View Post
That is awesome! Have been going to PR for a number of years and I have learned a couple of new places! Thanks!!
There are more where these came from.

El Metropol is very good too.

I always gain a few pounds every time I go.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer0863 View Post
Too bad you are not going to Rincon (west coast of the island). IMHO, one of the best areas of PR. In addition (shameless plug) my brother owns this place, http://www.besidethepointe.com/ and I can hook you up. Keep it in mind for your next trip. JetBlue, Spirit and Continental fly to BQN (old Ramey USAF Base) in the NW coast, about 20 minutes drive from Rincon.
Rincon is awesome. Tres Palmas is a sick place to surf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	71958   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	71959  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tres_palmas_de_rincon_marine_reserve_pr.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	71963  
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM
ini88's Avatar
ini88
Status: Offline
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,816
Eat here:
St Germain Bistro & Cafe for breakfast and lunch
José Enrique for dinner - amazing food.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jos%C3%A9-enrique-san-juan-2
__________________
1955 Series I
1975 FC101 Vampire
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
All the little kioskos eateries near de luquillo. Fun and cheap eating!
18 22'50.56" N 65 44'10.07" W

While in Viegues, rent a kayak in Espernaza and head to the little island about 1/2 klick south. Good snorkeling and nobody will be there so you can play around w/ the GF as well....
Where is this? I want to go to this place
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbier View Post
where is this? I want to go to this place
lmao
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,118
Registry
Intentional typo. Wanted to spare the island of you finding it and cleaning out the 200 or so local cars with your PIT maneuver. The older locals, you know, the ones that might cut you off thier skinny roads, have been hammered on enough by the USN. Shoot, even my dad lit up the eastern end for years during strafing runs from his F-8.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
I think you all are missing the point. This man has a truck to build! Stop encouraging him to go to Droville.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,691
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I think you all are missing the point. This man has a truck to build! Stop encouraging him to go to Droville.
He needs to take her to Droville to be able to finish the truck
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Intentional typo. Wanted to spare the island of you finding it and cleaning out the 200 or so local cars with your PIT maneuver. The older locals, you know, the ones that might cut you off thier skinny roads, have been hammered on enough by the USN. Shoot, even my dad lit up the eastern end for years during strafing runs from his F-8.

Intentionally ? You are funny

Me finding VIEQUES ( here you go .. not intentionally spelled correctly )? I have vacation there so many times ( probably before you knew of its existence ), a very good friend still lives there, so I am there very often .. and no PIT needed, the roads do that for you and the ones trying to make
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
rovertrader's Avatar
rovertrader
Status: Offline
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Marshville, NC USA
Posts: 4,629
Ask for Freddie in Fajarto- small boat, great time- the less moon the better!!

As several have said, El Yunque for hiking- go to the top of the mtn for great views.

Viegues- try Bananas if it is still there.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,542
Registry
Thank you guys for the wonderful responses! Definitely will check out all the restaurant suggestions =)

Yes, we will be going to Droville, but I also have been working on my truck I know it doesn't seem like it, but it will get done. We've been planning this trip for a few months, and decided to take advantage of the 3-day weekend.

Last night, I moved the prepped tub back from my apartment to my garage by myself. With all the galvanized steel bits added to the tub, the weight was way up. I had to move it by putting two ratchet straps up and down. on the tub like straps on a backpack, and literally walked the tub to the garage. My neighbors were looking at me funny.

Lo and behold, I put the tub on the frame and the frame tab holes no longer align with the holes on the tub It's little things like this that take up all the time on my build.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Stonedog
Status: Offline
Chris
1987
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wake Forest NC
Posts: 10
Consider Isla Culebra as well. One of the best beaches in the Caribbean is there in Playa Flamenco. And great off the beach snorkeling a short hike from there at Carlos Rosario. May be a bit slammed if you are going on holiday though.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:32 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Probably best moved to your build thread, but now were they not lining up? Pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Lo and behold, I put the tub on the frame and the frame tab holes no longer align with the holes on the tub It's little things like this that take up all the time on my build.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass hardtop FS - Minneapolis (best offer in next 5 days takes it) fredo For Sale - Parts 1 September 18th, 2013 04:27 AM
Posting from puerto rico bossman429 Misc. Chit-Chat 8 January 22nd, 2012 05:05 PM
Dog Days of Summer sale badgerman The Vendors Loft 0 July 14th, 2008 07:02 PM
Who was taking bets? Mike Hippert Misc. Chit-Chat 65 October 6th, 2005 09:40 AM
Rubicon Closed for 120 Days! DJ Menasco Trips, Trails and Events 1 August 4th, 2004 12:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Copyright