Proper paint/coating for axle tube? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 22nd, 2016, 11:57 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Proper paint/coating for axle tube?

I'm thinking about trying to help my brother address the rust on his 94. One piece of the car that I really don't want to replace is the rear axle tube. It has a shocking about amount of rust on it. Once I get it down to the bare metal, what's the best pay to re coat it? Is the original finish a powder coat or are they using something else? I know nothing about painting / powder coating so I'd like to do something that's tougher than simply rattle canning it.

I'm just curious to hear what types of products people use to address rust under the car once it's been all sanded down. Thanks
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I'm thinking about trying to help my brother address the rust on his 94. One piece of the car that I really don't want to replace is the rear axle tube. It has a shocking about amount of rust on it. Once I get it down to the bare metal, what's the best pay to re coat it? Is the original finish a powder coat or are they using something else? I know nothing about painting / powder coating so I'd like to do something that's tougher than simply rattle canning it.

I'm just curious to hear what types of products people use to address rust under the car once it's been all sanded down. Thanks
I used Eastwood's "Rust Encapsulating Primer" and covered it with their "Chassis Black Extreme", and so far so good.

The original finish is just factory paint...but I've seen folks powdercoat them (cgalpin), as well as even galvanize them (Brewie212). The latter is certainly much tougher/durable, *if* you're not wheeling it. Otherwise it's tough to touchup pc/galvy if you're scraping it off on rocks/etc, so I went for the Eastwood route.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

look into POR15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
look into POR15
If you go the POR15 route, make SURE you use their etching treatment stuff first on bare metal...otherwise that POR will peel right off.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:21 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
If you go the POR15 route, make SURE you use their etching treatment stuff first on bare metal...otherwise that POR will peel right off.
absolutely, With any paint system, prep is EVERYTHING. Paint lifting is usually a lack of thorough de-greasing.
de-grease, de-grease, de-grease. Then do the phosphoric acid etch(metal prep). Then wire brush AGAIN with clean, new wire brushes.
With the statement about "bare metal", I'm assuming the willingness to do it right.

we've been using POR15 on deep ocean steel parts now....and have been surprised at how well it is holding up. But we do intensive prep.

anyone know if POR15 will bond to the tannic acid conversion base? probably, but not sure.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
absolutely, With any paint system, prep is EVERYTHING. Paint lifting is usually a lack of thorough de-greasing.
de-grease, de-grease, de-grease. Then do the phosphoric acid etch(metal prep). Then wire brush AGAIN with clean, new wire brushes.
With the statement about "bare metal", I'm assuming the willingness to do it right.

we've been using POR15 on deep ocean steel parts now....and have been surprised at how well it is holding up. But we do intensive prep.

anyone know if POR15 will bond to the tannic acid conversion base? probably, but not sure.
Agreed on the prep obviously, but specifically with POR unless the prep involves their "metal prep" etching spray (as you pointed out) then results are less than ideal. Using that stuff however, POR is the cats pajamas.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
On my RoW 90's axles which were covered in a moderate coating of rust and caked French farm mud, I washed, wirebrushed to light, tight rust, cleaned well again, then applied Corroseal, primer and 3-4 layers of chassis paint. Not a show finish, but durable enough and easy to touch up.

I have been very happy w/ Corroseal, but it is sensitive to surface prep.
..tolerant Wife...
Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:28 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Dinitrol if you can get your hands on it. Take a look at funrover.com for what he did with Dinitrol.

I have used ChassisSaver topped with flat black chassis paint on my pickup. There is less prep than with POR15.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

i went to bare metal then used rustolem, was cheap and easy and has held up for 5 years in NY
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:27 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Took a look at POR15. So the process would be:

1. Sand it down to bare metal
2. Degrease it using their product
3. Use their metal prep product- it looks like a spray bottle? Anyone ever used this? What's the application directions? I probably need an abbrasive pad or wire brush to use with it right?
4. Apply POR 15- I'd be using the spray can.

Doesn't sound too bad. Anything i'm missing? The truck will theoretically get wheeled so once the POR 15 is scratched do I have to redo all this prep or just touch it up?
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sand blast, if you are using POR-15. Any other surface prep and it will come loose eventually. Do three coats. That is the only way it will last long term in a winter climate...

Other wise use a good polyurethane. Nothing else will last.

If you don't have winter, cat piss will be fine...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

One of the biggest reasons I moved to California from New York was so that me and the Land Rovers never had to see winter ever again.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
i went to bare metal then used rustolem, was cheap and easy and has held up for 5 years in NY
This.
The Rustoleum Professional oil-based in a gallon can. You can spray it or brush it. About $20 or so. We use it on our fire hydrants(2,500+) and it holds up very well to being out in the elements(rain, snow, salt) every day of the year.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:28 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
My philosophy is to mop on a mixture of Rustoleum satin black, turpentine and linseed oil. Cheap, lasts, kills rust, and you won't worry too much when you scrape the axle on rocks.
Mix it up nice and juicy, and apply with a rag. Just get it on there. Don't worry too much about pretty.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 22nd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
This.
The Rustoleum Professional oil-based in a gallon can. You can spray it or brush it. About $20 or so. We use it on our fire hydrants(2,500+) and it holds up very well to being out in the elements(rain, snow, salt) every day of the year.
One winter driving here in Canada and it is falling off and bleeding through.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:45 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Probably not the most economical solution but every heard of anyone applying rhino-lining?

Probably the toughest option..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
axle, paint