http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rover-defender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:59 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
WTF, its says we wont see the new model either.
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No-talent ass-clowns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

"Americans, however, aren't likely to see the new vehicle, just as we haven't seen the Defender since their last brief stint here in the mid-1990s".
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't place a lot of credence in the automotive press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
They have made some tweaks to the design of the 90 and 110 over the past few years. Black roof and bonnet, silly headlamps, chubby roll cage, etc.

I don't think I have liked any of the changes they have made, so I am pretty sure after a full redesign there won't be much that I would like.

Keep 'em out, I don't care. Part of what I like about the 90 and 110 is the fact that they are relatively rare (in the U.S.).
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Rumor is it is a dressed down LR4. Given they are using the T-5 platform, that makes sense. IFS, here we come...
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
Keep 'em out, I don't care. Part of what I like about the 90 and 110 is the fact that they are relatively rare (in the U.S.).
x2!!
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Ditto on keeping them out... Let the less fortunate drive Jeeps and take comfort its Trail Rated........
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

Man, if they bastardize that classic design any more it may as well be some teenager's rice rocket.
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
Ditto on keeping them out... Let the less fortunate drive Jeeps and take comfort its Trail Rated........
Hey now, take it easy on the Jeeps. Some of Jeep nuts are also Land Rover nuts. (I have a 04' Wrangler Rubicon)
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummer96
Hey now, take it easy on the Jeeps. Some of Jeep nuts are also Land Rover nuts. (I have a 04' Wrangler Rubicon)
I think we all know Jeeps are a much more practical vehicle (costs, supply of parts, ability to purchase newer ones).
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
They have made some tweaks to the design of the 90 and 110 over the past few years. Black roof and bonnet, silly headlamps, chubby roll cage, etc.

I don't think I have liked any of the changes they have made, so I am pretty sure after a full redesign there won't be much that I would like.

You said it!
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

From a purely superficial asthetic point of view, I actually wouldn't mind if they bring in a new Defender...makes ours look better. Kind of like the new BMW Minis...they make the old 'real' Minis look that much cooler.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
From a purely superficial asthetic point of view, I actually wouldn't mind if they bring in a new Defender...makes ours look better. Kind of like the new BMW Minis...they make the old 'real' Minis look that much cooler.
or it will be like the change from series 3 to the 90 a nice looking cooler change
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

http://www.leftlanenews.com/land-rov...nder-2012.html
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
from what I'm tracking, Tata thinks LR should pursue the military market even harder, and are pushing them to pursue military contracts. additionally, the British are finding, like ourselves, that the lighter duty vehicles like the HUMMV and the Defender, while significantly more vulnerable to IED attacks than the MRAPs (brits have MRAPs now too in limited quantities), many of the operational places in Iraq and Afghan are not suitable to MRAP's due to their size and intimidating appearance to local nationals. This is causing a rethinking in both militaries. Linked to this, I recently read that while the British were originally planning to replace their Defender fleet with a new more capable (with respect to combat protection capability), they are now looking at revamping the existing Defender fleet, due to the reasons I already pointed out, and likely also due to the cost savings of revamping versus replacing with a newer model during a global economic recession.

This tells me that LR will likely have their plate full with orders on Defenders just as they are, and will not want to redesign a Defender and retool a line that already keeps the books full.

Maybe they still might design a new consumer market "Defender" based on the new platform, but I doubt they are going to replace the existing Defender 90 and 110 production lines at the same time. Maybe both can survive in Sulihull.

I think one of the biggest challenges of keeping the Defender and other current not-US rigs out of North America is our unreasonable resistance as a consumer market to diesels. We suck. I can't imaging any importer that is going to spend R&D to design a new big petrol SUV and pay the money to get that petrol V6 or V8 approved with EPA, and all that crash testing with the DOT, when large SUV sales in the US are dropping off big time. Do you think Americans would pay premium luxury SUV prices (40k-50k) for a less comfortable Defender that gets maybe 14-15mpg with a gas engine? Think about the common buyer here (not the Niche), the Soccer mom. LR4 or Defender?

The defender needs to directly compete with utility and commercial platforms in the US, which is where it fits in the ROW. So F150 or Defender?

If Land Rover did exploit the current market, and take a gamble on if people are ready to adopt diesel as an engine type in the US now, they could test the waters with the LR4 by introducing a TD version. If it did surprise everyone and become successful (are people ready for 23-30 mpg luxury SUV at the cost of it being a diesel? Don't know because none of the importer marquees will try it), then perhaps that might pave the way for LR to look harder at Defender introduction here. remember that most Defenders sold in ROW are diesel.
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:58 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I thought all ROW Defenders were diesels. I think that if these companies would allow us to have diesel options they would sell like hotcakes. The improved fuel economy would sell them. It just sucks at how the Government has tightened down on the diesel emission regulations.
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

The picture looks cool.............but seems silly to me to make the roof BLACK. It is hard enough to keep that volume of space inside the Defender cool. A black roof, it seems, will only make it harder?

Flagg
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I would say that the roof color would change, and any proposed paint scheme in development will likely not be the final pallete choice.

Also, after looking at the Defender in that picture, I would say that is not the new prototype Defender. Just looking at that front axle I can see a solid axle, so that's not the T5. The entire rest of the body sans the breakfast is current production to my eyes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
new defender