Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 15th, 2015, 07:05 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Problem with Badger Coachworks

This may be heresy given all the positive feedback I've seen written about Badger Coachworks products but... I'm wondering if anybody has had any problems getting an order filled? I put down a deposit on a d90 top in January and was told that it would be shipped in March. Two subsequent delivery dates have come and gone with almost no communication from Chris. I've now left Chris a couple voice messages and emails over the past month with no reply. Early on in this process when I did speak with Chris he was very friendly, but the follow up and follow thru has been nothing short of awful. I'm actually starting to wonder if Badger Coachworks has gone out of business?

I have read a lot about how great his product is, which led me to place my order, but for some reason he isn't shipping the top and window storage case. I would like to buy from Chris but he is either 1) out of business or 2) not all that interested in staying in business.

Any other good quality manufactures of d90 tops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 07:18 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Badger Coachworks - Defender Source

not uncommon but always worth the wait when you get a new badger top in the mail...
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Find Chris on Facebook to keep current. For example:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1648001058.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	122974  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Search. Your issue is not uncommon. Communication and expectations have always been the issue - not the product itself.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:17 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Not on Facebook. Not a big social media person. Defender Source is the closest I've ever gotten to social media. Any recommendations on where else to get a top because this guy is driving me crazy. If I treated my clients the way he seems to treat his I wouldn't be able to put food on the table.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyD90 View Post
Not on Facebook. Not a big social media person. Defender Source is the closest I've ever gotten to social media. Any recommendations on where else to get a top because this guy is driving me crazy. If I treated my clients the way he seems to treat his I wouldn't be able to put food on the table.
Dude: he's a one man shop (and a dog). Dog doesn't produce anything he can sell, but Chris pumps stuff out as quick as he can.
His may not be the business model you have but he works very hard and you'll love the end product.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:30 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Again, not trying to offend anybody here just see if my situation is common (which it seems to be) and if there are any good alternatives. I understand he's a one man shop. My issue is that he took my money and has gone MIA. He told me the top would be shipped in March, they in April, after numerous calls he told me I would get it in 2 weeks. Never heard from him again. I've called and emailed with no replies.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:35 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

I agree with Chris. Not cool to go MIA after taking his money. Regardless of how good his product is. Bad business.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:35 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
rest assured he hasn't disappeared with your money.. he is an honest artistan and all that those words imply.. the wait will be long forgotten the first time you fit your top.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:44 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I have no opinions on Badger other than I emailed with Chris a few times but after hearing how long it would take to get the top I made the personal decision to get a top I really like a lot from Rovers North. It is made of a great high end fabric, not vinyl, and has the rear quarter windows I happened to like. Again nothing bad to say about Badger, just that I decided to not wait and I'm really really happy with my decision.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:00 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Thanks for the idea to check out Rovers North. I've bought misc. parts from them in the past, but didn't think about them for tops. I guess I'll reach out to Chris to let him know that I need to hear from him (not an unreasonable expectation) or I'll have to take my business elsewhere.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:04 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
You're welcome. I have great luck with them on all sorts of parts and items. They offer the top in basic black as well as a tan color, all a matter of preference. The quality is better than average and the price is reasonable.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Hang in there it will be worth the wait...even if you find something temporary you can always sell it afterwards. I'm sure it's coming soon!
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Read the previous thread. January deposit.... I think the consensus was 12 to 18 month wait. The more people phone him the slower the work takes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:45 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
This may be heresy given all the positive feedback I've seen written about Badger Coachworks products but... I'm wondering if anybody has had any problems getting an order filled?
All the cottage industry "one man band" shops are in arrears regarding product delivery.
They do the best they can, but often have an optimistic attitude in a pessimistic customer world where some people watch a TV show where a whole restoration takes place in a weekend.
What they don't show on TV is the 300 people in the background working around the clock to make the show possible.

Chris Laws has to be one of the best guys I have ever known.
If you want quality, his sewing is better than anything I know about.
If you want timely and calendar driven lower quality, best to order some pre-made product from Exmoor or the Far Eastern manufactured goods sold by the "oddock" companies in UK.
That way you get the instant gratification most of us seek when we want to upgrade our top or interior.

Hopefully this post will add patience that lessends frustration.
If you get the flu, then your expectations go on.
If Chris gets the Badger flu or some more common strain, then everyone has to wait until he can sew again.

Either way, good luck and if your schedule permits, your wait will be worthwhile!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:49 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
If it's a 12-18 month wait then he should just state that from the beginning so that he doesn't cause all kinds of problems for people who need a top and make plans based on a delivery schedule that he set. But I guess if he did that nobody would wait. Keep in mind that I never asked him for a specific delivery date, he provided it to me. He has given me two delivery dates and now gone MIA. At some point his business model will catch up with him. Or maybe the joke is on me.... maybe Chris is totally loaded and doesn't need to sell tops.

------ Follow up post added June 15th, 2015 09:54 PM ------

"If you want timely and calendar driven lower quality, best to order some pre-made product from Exmoor or the Far Eastern manufactured goods sold by the "oddock" companies in UK."

Again, he sets his delivery schedule so all this commentary about respecting his calendar is ridiculous. I've never asked for a specific delivery date. He consistently sets the delivery date and then misses it and then never follows up.
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
If it's a 12-18 month wait then he should just state that from the beginning so that he doesn't cause all kinds of problems for people who need a top and make plans based on a delivery schedule that he set. But I guess if he did that nobody would wait. Keep in mind that I never asked him for a specific delivery date, he provided it to me. He has given me two delivery dates and now gone MIA. At some point his business model will catch up with him. Or maybe the joke is on me.... maybe Chris is totally loaded and doesn't need to sell tops.

------ Follow up post added June 15th, 2015 09:54 PM ------

"If you want timely and calendar driven lower quality, best to order some pre-made product from Exmoor or the Far Eastern manufactured goods sold by the "oddock" companies in UK."

Again, he sets his delivery schedule so all this commentary about respecting his calendar is ridiculous. I've never asked for a specific delivery date. He consistently sets the delivery date and then misses it and then never follows up.
You need to tone down your frustration.
There is not one cottage industry person who can predict where they will be 18 months ahead of time, even week to week sometimes.
How many crystal balls do you have, because Chris has zero.

After I had a second heart surgery and people said " I don't care, you are 6 months late"...
My response was come get your vehicle and make sure you never call me again.

The problem for Badger is not finding the people to buy the products they supply.
The problem for Badger is supplying their products to the people who want to buy them.
In economic terms, it is the demand that far exceeds the supply in a model of near non-substitutable goods.
Unless you want exmoor or some close copy of even lesser quality stay in line or get out because someone else will take your place and be glad to jump into your spot if you get out...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:22 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Well said and great outlook. If more people took your attitude and everything slowed down a touch there might be less heart issues going around. I am learning this lesson the hard way.....

Chris, while frustrating, the top will be so so worth the wait.

If you do hop out of the production pipeline, can you ask if I can take your place?

Thanks
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:32 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
You need to tone down your frustration.
There is not one cottage industry person who can predict where they will be 18 months ahead of time, even week to week sometimes.
How many crystal balls do you have, because Chris has zero.

After I had a second heart surgery and people said " I don't care, you are 6 months late"...
My response was come get your vehicle and make sure you never call me again.
The problem is not finding people to buy the quality custom work.
The problem is finding people who can in fact provide the custom work for the many many people who want to buy it.
In economic terms, it is the demand that far exceeds the supply in a model of near non-substitutable goods.
Unless you want exmoor or some close copy of even lesser quality...
Honestly I don't think it is fair for you to ask him to "tone down" his frustration. He is frustrated and I think most people in his same position would be equally and justifiably frustrated. Particularly had he known it would be so long he could have used his hard earned deposit on something else. I don't think that's unreasonable. Doesn't sound to me to be trashing the vendor.

And lastly communication is not too much to ask, no matter how busy you are. If he truly has gone dark and is not calling or can't keep up with the customer service then don't take orders. Common courtesy, common business sense, is to let your customers know where they stand.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat