Problem with Badger Coachworks - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:36 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

May be worth searching the history of those readily available tops. There are those of us that have been here a while, including Chris, and have seen some sneaky/sketchy ways to replicate his product.

As Robert indicates, Chris has been the 'go to top guru' -even for LRNA back in '94. So his business model of making the best top available must be working given the 20+ years he has done same.
Just saying...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
All the cottage industry "one man band" shops are in arrears regarding product delivery.
They do the best they can, but often have an optimistic attitude in a pessimistic customer world where some people watch a TV show where a whole restoration takes place in a weekend.
What they don't show on TV is the 300 people in the background working around the clock to make the show possible.

Chris Laws has to be one of the best guys I have ever known.
If you want quality, his sewing is better than anything I know about.
If you want timely and calendar driven lower quality, best to order some pre-made product from Exmoor or the Far Eastern manufactured goods sold by the "oddock" companies in UK.
That way you get the instant gratification most of us seek when we want to upgrade our top or interior.

Hopefully this post will add patience that lessends frustration.
If you get the flu, then your expectations go on.
If Chris gets the Badger flu or some more common strain, then everyone has to wait until he can sew again.

Either way, good luck and if your schedule permits, your wait will be worthwhile!
Why does he have to tone down his frustration? He has a legitimate complaint and wants it heard.

With that said I have two badger tops, and I have had three sets of badger covers. I bought them all direct and love the products. I talk to Chris from time to time and think he is one of the nicest guys out there. It's a tough business and I know he doesn't want to disappoint anyone.

I hope he gets it all straight because really there is no competition if you want the best.
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Well the comments sure as hell won't hurt the Badger Coachworks business volume, so I take it back...
Don't Tone It Down!

Complain all you want...
Then get out of line so someone else can take your place.
Get so frustrated you "cut your own nose off just to spite your face".
It's completely OK by me, go for it.
I have nothing more to add after explaining the economic model which is get in line and stay or get out and walk away which has no effect on anyone but the frustrated buyer.

Oh and thanks for the encouragement to the many people who thanked me for the tone-it-down post.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:50 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Well the comments sure as hell won't hurt the Badger Coachworks business, so I take it back... Don't Tone It Down! Complain all you want... Then get out of line so someone else can take your place. Get so frustrated you "cut your own nose off just to spite your face". It's completely OK by me, go for it.
why. So your top gets bumped up to a better delivery date?
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:52 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
Honestly I don't think it is fair for you to ask him to "tone down" his frustration. He is frustrated and I think most people in his same position would be equally and justifiably frustrated. Particularly had he known it would be so long he could have used his hard earned deposit on something else. I don't think that's unreasonable. Doesn't sound to me to be trashing the vendor.

And lastly communication is not too much to ask, no matter how busy you are. If he truly has gone dark and is not calling or can't keep up with the customer service then don't take orders. Common courtesy, common business sense, is to let your customers know where they stand.
Thanks. Everything you said is exactly my point. I'm not asking for the top tomorrow, I was just wondering if others have had the same issue with the Co and if there are other options because I have absolutely no idea when Chris plans on shipping top.

Anyways, this forum has answered my questions. 1) my experience with Badger is common, 2) Chris produces the best tops, which I already knew.
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:59 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
why. So your top gets bumped up to a better delivery date?
Oh you don't know about the new customers that get in line behind the old customers like me rule...
Didn't mean to mention that, what a slip... better edit this post.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old June 15th, 2015, 11:00 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Well the comments sure as hell won't hurt the Badger Coachworks business, so I take it back...
Don't Tone It Down!

Complain all you want...
I have nothing more to add after explaining the economic model which is get in line and stay or get out and walk away which has no effect on anyone but the frustrated buyer.
Your comments are very aggressive and I'm not sure why you are so upset with me. I certainly agree that when I did speak with Chris he was an extremely nice guy. When I ordered the top in December we actually spent over an hour on the phone chatting about all kinds of stuff. If he's as honorable as you and others say, maybe he will see these posts and give me a call or shoot me an email.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No Top For You!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyD90 View Post
Your comments are very aggressive and I'm not sure why you are so upset with me. I certainly agree that when I did speak with Chris he was an extremely nice guy. When I ordered the top in December we actually spent over an hour on the phone chatting about all kinds of stuff. If he's as honorable as you and others say, maybe he will see these posts and give me a call or shoot me an email.
The title of this thread you started is "very aggressive".
The important added value is that you understand the scenario and what options are available to you and I think you do.
So best of luck and sincere regards!

Old June 15th, 2015, 11:07 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Anyways.. thanks to those of you that provided constructive feedback.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:10 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Ridiculous double standard. If the customer service sucks and its a repeat issue it should be posted regardless of how great the product and how many folks are friends with the guy.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:23 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Ridiculous double standard. If the customer service sucks and its a repeat issue it should be posted regardless of how great the product and how many folks are friends with the guy.
Your first one was better.

------ Follow up post added June 15th, 2015 08:24 PM ------

Quote:
Anyways.. thanks to those of you that provided constructive feedback.
Hope he comes through. He makes good shit. If you can't wait I'm sure he will refund your money.

Don't worry about the one guy going all agro. He doesn't speak for everyone.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:32 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I put in a reason for editing as "original post was very douchey". The Vietcong reference was pretty solid though.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:34 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Your first one was better. ------ Follow up post added June 15th, 2015 08:24 PM ------ Hope he comes through. He makes good shit. If you can't wait I'm sure he will refund your money. Don't worry about the one guy going all agro. He doesn't speak for everyone.
Thanks. I can wait. My plan was to use this form to get some guidance. I got that and a bit more.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Well the comments sure as hell won't hurt the Badger Coachworks business volume, so I take it back...
Don't Tone It Down!

Complain all you want...

Oh and thanks for the encouragement to the many people who thanked me for the tone-it-down post.
Listen man tone down the complaining on the complaining! lol...
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:38 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

MyD90: well said.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Thanks. I can wait. My plan was to use this form to get some guidance. I got that and a bit more.
You'll always get more...opinions are free....(IMHO).
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Man do not tone down

I have little respect for business that roll your hard earned money over

For the haters that say Badger is awesome and not using OPM to fill orders BITE ME

If you want a quality top immediately contact Zack at Rovers North

Good luck on your decision
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:44 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Use the search function. This concern has been hashed and rehashed many times on the board. Had you known, perhaps you would have gone a different direction. Perhaps not. Nothing changes at Badger other than the number of people working for Chris. Now, he is alone in the shop. Perfection has its price. And if you think about it, you should be happy that your top will be done exclusively by him! They are the best, hands down, and worth the wait. Can't rush the quality, but I'm sorry you are concerned. Repeatedly calling on him to respond is probably why you're not getting one. If you don't bail, the next you'll probably hear from him is your tracking number and that will make you one really happy son of a gun.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
No Top For You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Don't worry about the one guy going all agro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
You'll always get more...opinions are free....(IMHO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Man do not tone down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Listen man tone down the complaining on the complaining! lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I never heard it told like that before

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat