Pricing for Soft Top / Hard Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 5th, 2006, 03:24 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Pricing for Soft Top / Hard Top

Hi All, it's been a while since I last lurked here. I guess that's a good thing; the D90 is running great! Well, except for...

My twelve year-old soft top is absolutely on its last leg. At least half of the button snaps are busted, the alpine windows are almost completely gone, the whole thing doesn't fit right and snow pours through the cracks.

So, I need a new top, either a new soft top or a used hard top. I read some of the other threads here and went looking at Badger Coachworks. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw their prices. $2200 (plus shipping) to get my truck converted to their system. Holy cow! My roommate says that the very nicest replacement top for his Jeep Wrangler costs less than $800. What is so special about the Badger top? Were they sewn by vegan Tibetan monks using only renewable organic Turkish cotton canvas? What the hell?

Is there a cheaper place to get these tops? Also, how much would I expect to pay for a hard top if I was able to locate one?

thanks in advance,

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

You could buy a new fiberglass hardtop from www.roverconnection.com for $2,800. They're also on here from time to time for about half that.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vick
You could buy a new fiberglass hardtop from www.roverconnection.com for $2,800. They're also on here from time to time for about half that.
Bummer. Looks like they're sold out. Is this soft top just an OEM version of the Badger Coachworks top? Same thing?

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
Bummer. Looks like they're sold out. Is this soft top just an OEM version of the Badger Coachworks top? Same thing?
UPDATE: After doing some reading around here, it seems that the best top is a Badger top and the best place to get a Badger is from Badger. So, I'll bite the bullet (or more accurately, my credit card) and give them a call on Monday. I'm thinking about the pickup-truck-style top with a tonneau cover for the bed, although I'm not sure how I'm going to remove my rear side-facing after-market bench seats.

/
/
/
/
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I tried to buy one from Rover Connection last year and they have been sold out for about the last year and a half. I tried to find one from any place in the country and no one had them anymore. My dad contacted LR to try to get one and they aren't even making them anymore and probably won't from what we were told. Best bet is to buy one from private party. I got mine from this site but haven't put it on yet.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can buy a used 94 top for $300-400 at most.
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
I want those seats and might have a top for you

"I'm thinking about the pickup-truck-style top with a tonneau cover for the bed, although I'm not sure how I'm going to remove my rear side-facing after-market bench seats."

Terrapin I just shot you an email. Picking up my rig tomorrow, it ostensibly has EVERY top, though I won't know for sure what they look like until I take delivery. If the soft top is in great shape I'd swap you the hard top and tonneau for your seats, know some of the guys here will flip out but I need seats more than those other tops because of kid issues. If the soft top is dogged then I'll make due with the hard top but would still ship you the tonneau and buy the seats if you're looking to get rid of them. Thanks, TM

Old August 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_and_Blue

Terrapin I just shot you an email. Picking up my rig tomorrow, it ostensibly has EVERY top, though I won't know for sure what they look like until I take delivery. If the soft top is in great shape I'd swap you the hard top and tonneau for your seats, know some of the guys here will flip out but I need seats more than those other tops because of kid issues. If the soft top is dogged then I'll make due with the hard top but would still ship you the tonneau and buy the seats if you're looking to get rid of them. Thanks, TM
Hi Tommy,

I didn't get any e-mails from you. Strage....

Trade my bench seats? Hmmmmm. I think I'd rather not, as I do use them and they're no longer (as far as I can tell) available for sale.

thanks,

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
Weird, I sent you an email through this site. Don't know why it didn't go through. No sweat, good luck finding a top, if you wind up getting rid of the seats to make room for the toneau cover let me know, TM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
hard top, soft top