Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Prices on ebay

Anyone else notice the large spike in prices people are asking on ebay. Are any of these really selling at these prices. 94 w 100K+ high 20's-low 30's not to mention the 60k+ 1997's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

it is getting downright absurd. You can search the completed listings on ebay, there is a box you can check in the left hand side called "completed listings" in the Search Options box, and it'll show you all the completed listings for the last few weeks- and no, it looks like they are not in fact selling- over the past 3 weeks the only ones that have actually sold out of the 50 listed are a 110 for $36k, a 97 ST with 54k miles for $31k, a 97 SW with 151k miles for $20k, 97 ST with 145k miles for $21k........ etc etc. Nothing else has met reserve. I don't know where people are coming up with the idea that these trucks are worth $45k with 80k miles on them.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Just strange how it seem to come out of nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
With the economy being as it is, I would think prices would be a little more reasonable.
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

It's ebay. Kind of hard to correlate anything to the market from just one source. It'd be interesting to see stats from LRX and craiglist to see what the average sale price is for 90s. Might help others in getting a quicker sale.

EwS
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:14 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
It's ebay. Kind of hard to correlate anything to the market from just one source. It'd be interesting to see stats from LRX and craiglist to see what the average sale price is for 90s. Might help others in getting a quicker sale.

EwS
i've been keeping an eye out on LRX, CL, eBay, AutoTrader, etc etc.... prices are inflated all across the board.
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Really?

Interesting. Once I put the 90 for sale the buyers all balked at higher prices. Surprising fuel prices haven't brought them down.

I wonder what the average sale time is for a 90. Seems most people tend to find an excuse to keep them till the right price arises...

EwS
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Really?

Interesting. Once I put the 90 for sale the buyers all balked at higher prices. Surprising fuel prices haven't brought them down.

I wonder what the average sale time is for a 90. Seems most people tend to find an excuse to keep them till the right price arises...

EwS
Well, they don't appear to be selling at these prices- just listed at these prices. I have noticed a lot of trucks that have been sitting for months now. I havn't made any offers on any, so I am not sure if people actually expect to get what they've listed them for, but either way..... these listed prices are a joke.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I don't think the gas prices are hurting them b/c so many find their way into the hands of wealthy individuals who want a weekend truck that is more unique than everyone else's Wrangler. Gas prices tend to hurt low MPG vehicles whose target market is the avg. individual/family man. Defenders really have a unique spot in the market which makes their price more inelastic than a lot of other vehicles.

BTW, as for selling, there are currently two sitting at the dealer in Winnetka, which is an ideal market, but even they aren't selling at the current prices.

http://www.fieldsauto.com/ou/winnetk..._used_specials
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I don't think the gas prices are hurting them b/c so many find their way into the hands of wealthy individuals who want a weekend truck that is more unique than everyone else's Wrangler. Gas prices tend to hurt low MPG vehicles whose target market is the avg. individual/family man. Defenders really have a unique spot in the market which makes their price more inelastic than a lot of other vehicles.

BTW, as for selling, there are currently two sitting at the dealer in Winnetka, which is an ideal market, but even they aren't selling at the current prices.

Actually its a simple case of deamnd vs. supply. I really do not ascribe to the wealthy niche market myself. Look at this site. I don't get the impression of an inordinate amouont of wealthy people running around with stupid money. I think most here and in general are doing well for themselves. 9 out 10 owners I have met fell into that category as well over the years. Stupid people are not wealthy for long. Once the price point hits a certain level you see demand erode.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Well, they don't appear to be selling at these prices- just listed at these prices. I have noticed a lot of trucks that have been sitting for months now. I havn't made any offers on any, so I am not sure if people actually expect to get what they've listed them for, but either way..... these listed prices are a joke.

That's what I thought. They aren't selling. I just don't get why it seemed to happen out of the blue. They will never sell at those asking prices.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
motap
neal

I liked the black one in winnetka, at least from pics, but the asking price is insane. Two 95's with similar mileage and slightly lower prices have been sitting for 6 months to a year on autotrader.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede

I was planning on going out to Winnetka to see the two out there. I have heard the yellow has been there for almost 2 years!
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Not really, it belonged to an employee, and just got put up for sale recently. The black one is the owner's personal vehicle. I just looked at the yellow one a week ago, and I know the black one pretty well.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i was suprised at how many were on flea bay
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I bet they're up for sale because people need cash right now. When people need cash, they make fantasy estimates for the value. Most of these sales are fishing expeditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Yes, money for a 110 coming in August. Here's my cast: $24,500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4sale.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	13764  
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I hope not! haha
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
42,500 is fishing, 24,500 is sane.

Anyone can have Yeastie for 30k!

Old June 6th, 2008, 01:24 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Jim C hit the nail on the head. These guys bought these trucks as an "investment" (albiet one they could enjoy) and are now looking to cash out. I don't think the market, current inflation aside, is going to bring what they hoped or planned for. I look forward to the glut after all realize their trucks are not worth what they imagined and desperation sets in, stoked by their wives and the fact that 1984's will soon be available in addition to the '83's. ORRP here we come!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ebay