Price for a 1997 LE????? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM
treydub
Trey W
2001 4.6 HSE

Price for a 1997 LE?????

Opinion's needed: What is a good price for a '97 wagon w/ 46k miles? I am looking at a LE, southern car, no rust, 2 owner. I noticed several owners of '97 SW's selling in the high 20's for their truck w/ less or equal to 60k miles. Are folks just not paying as much for them as they used to? I know they used to go in the mid thirties like a year ago. Any suggestions? I am looking at an LE that is in the high 30's......................

Thanks for the opinions/advice

Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its all about condition, and of course, low miles doesnt necessarily equate to good condition with a Defender.

Main dealers and some other higher-profile sellers seem to still be able to milk 35-40k out of Defenders, but the bubble has well and truly burst.

That being said, the LE wagons seem to still carry the most value. High 30's is pretty optimistic I'd say, and I dont think it will sell quickly at that price.
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM
treydub
Trey W
2001 4.6 HSE

Value Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Its all about condition, and of course, low miles doesnt necessarily equate to good condition with a Defender.

Main dealers and some other higher-profile sellers seem to still be able to milk 35-40k out of Defenders, but the bubble has well and truly burst.

That being said, the LE wagons seem to still carry the most value. High 30's is pretty optimistic I'd say, and I dont think it will sell quickly at that price.
Is the "bubble burst" due to speculation re the 2007 introduction of the D90? (I know this has been discussed, sorry to bring it up for those who are sensitive on this topic) Or has the "bubble" burst due to time passing, novelty wearing off, cars getting older, etc? I am trying to get a perspective on this because this will weigh heavily in my decision to buy the car. I would be using it for my daily driver and I would probably only want to hang onto it for a year tops. I know this is totally speculative, but, if I could drive it (lightly) for 10-15k miles and still sell in the $33-36k range it would totally be worth it to me.

I had a '95 wagon in the past and loved it. I know the '97's are a bit more street friendly, daily driver friendly if you will, and I just want one more cool car while I am young before I have, dare I say it, responsibility, family, etc and have to go to a boring old Range Rover or something like that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My opinion, mind you, which is worth what you are paying for it. Is that you will take a bath on a 38k Defender.

I dont know what the consensus is, but good condition to me means reasonable continuted use and documented maintenance records to match. Garage queens have the typical non-use problems, and high-milers need evidence of appropriate care. I would accept the condition evaluation of an LR dealer.

I think speculation about an alleged new Defender has nothing to do with pricing. I think the trucks are just getting old and all the folks with silly money to burn have moved on. Now there are enough trucks out there in various states from never used to high-milers that people have a choice. I paid 15k for my D-90 and put 20k into rebuilding it from the ground up (into a Tdi). So now I'm into my truck for less than you propose spending on the LE. Doesnt mean a heck of a lot, but its a point to ponder.

If I were you, I'd buy a low-priced truck and fix it if something goes wrong. If you buy one for 25k, I bet you wont put 13k into over the course of a year, and you'll probably be closer to getting what you paid.

my 2 cents...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
1997, 97