Premium Gas vs. Regular Gas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:59 PM
WBSurfer's Avatar
WBSurfer
Status: Online
Chris
1995 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,218
Registry
Premium Gas vs. Regular Gas

How crucial do you all think using premium vs regular in a 95' RRC is?

Driving in to fill up and seeing gas prices of regular at down to almost $2 a gallon I get a bit excited I have to admit. BUT....alas, I have to always reach for the premium handle at $2.50 and change a gallon. (seems a little silly an extra .50 for premium) Keeping all obvious gas criticisms aside from this thread such as "you drive a RR what do you expect, you're not driving that truck to get good gas mileage, etc, etc, etc..." I'm more so wondering the true affects of premium vs. regular on my trucks.

Ya can't say that it wouldn't get you a bit roused if you could once again pull into a gas station, pull out a 20 and get 3/4 tank in your Rover and grab a drink and snack. Imagine that!

Anyways, what's everyones thoughts on the topic?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:19 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Never thought I'd see the day again when someone would be complaining about $2.50 premium...
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
WBSurfer's Avatar
WBSurfer
Status: Online
Chris
1995 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,218
Registry
Not complaining. Read what I wrote.... looking for peoples thoughts on the differences in the gas quality.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,973
Registry
"Premium is somewhat of a misnomer.

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2015 10:34 PM ------

5 min 18 sec you can't get back but sort of explains it.
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter - eBay.uk ad for Freelander.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:35 PM
mgreenspan's Avatar
mgreenspan
Status: Offline
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 1,719
Registry
What does the manual say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
How crucial do you all think using premium vs regular in a 95' RRC is?

Driving in to fill up and seeing gas prices of regular at down to almost $2 a gallon I get a bit excited I have to admit. BUT....alas, I have to always reach for the premium handle at $2.50 and change a gallon. (seems a little silly an extra .50 for premium) Keeping all obvious gas criticisms aside from this thread such as "you drive a RR what do you expect, you're not driving that truck to get good gas mileage, etc, etc, etc..." I'm more so wondering the true affects of premium vs. regular on my trucks.

Ya can't say that it wouldn't get you a bit roused if you could once again pull into a gas station, pull out a 20 and get 3/4 tank in your Rover and grab a drink and snack. Imagine that!

Anyways, what's everyones thoughts on the topic?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:39 PM
chuckc4
Status: Offline
chuck b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 517
Try the "lower grade" of gas and see if you get any knocking. Higher grade is supposed to be better for high compression motors, and the octane number of the gas you are buying is a minimum number. I am not a full expert--I wonder if the ethanol that is in all of the gas we are using increases octane.

I have three cars that "require" higher octane fuel, two of which are nearing 200K miles. I use regular and haven't had a problem.

In upstater NY, the price spread between Regular and Premium used to be .20, then it was almost .50. I don't really get that, except to say anecdotally that refiners are making less premium gas now days because the demand is lower. I wonder if premium gas that sits in the large underground tanks start to go bad because there is so much ethanol in it.

INVITE for a full discussion....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:50 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,525
Registry
the d90 has always ran the best on shell 93. Shell 93 Makes the Hondas happy, I'll run a tank ever couple thousand miles. Older Subaru likes it as well. Don't be such a cheap fuck we are talking 7 or so dollardifference per,fill up. Ethanol free is ideal but hard to find 93 sans corn. I find ethanol free mid grade regular. My chainsaws and blower run better on 93 regardless of ethanol content.

do some mileancalculations of 93 vs.87.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:53 PM
WBSurfer's Avatar
WBSurfer
Status: Online
Chris
1995 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,218
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
"Premium is somewhat of a misnomer.

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2015 10:34 PM ------

5 min 18 sec you can't get back but sort of explains it.
Good video. Makes some good points that would justify using premium over regular. Apparently there's a good deal more science involved to validate the purpose of using premium.

Thanks for the video.

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2015 10:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Try the "lower grade" of gas and see if you get any knocking. Higher grade is supposed to be better for high compression motors, and the octane number of the gas you are buying is a minimum number. I am not a full expert--I wonder if the ethanol that is in all of the gas we are using increases octane.

I have three cars that "require" higher octane fuel, two of which are nearing 200K miles. I use regular and haven't had a problem.

In upstater NY, the price spread between Regular and Premium used to be .20, then it was almost .50. I don't really get that, except to say anecdotally that refiners are making less premium gas now days because the demand is lower. I wonder if premium gas that sits in the large underground tanks start to go bad because there is so much ethanol in it.

INVITE for a full discussion....
Damn, that was my case in point. I agree. The differences in price between regular and premium were not but .20 different but now .50........just seems odd. But you make a valid point. This is one of the reasons I brought up this topic in the first place. If regular goes to $1.50 at some future date (unlikely maybe but who knows), and premium is $2.50 or greater because the spreads become larger for the reason you stated above, then don't tell me premium payers wouldn't be bringing up this very topic and looking to put in regular.

Good topic.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:11 AM
roverguy's Avatar
roverguy
Status: Offline
Robert
1995 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,029
Registry
I run Ethanol free premium in all my trucks except the IIa which gets ethanol free regular.
__________________
1965 IIa 88
1995 RRC 25th Anniversary
98 Discovery LE7
2000 DII (SOLD)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:52 AM
2411D90's Avatar
2411D90
Status: Offline
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I run Ethanol free premium in all my trucks except the IIa which gets ethanol free regular.


So have I, for at least the past five years. Better mileage, better performance, and the satisfaction of thumbing my nose at the loathsome corn-squeezings lobbyists shoving this execrable sh.. into our gasoline. It can sometimes be hard to find, but here's a website that can help:


http://pure-gas.org/
__________________
Bob Vogler
Recovering Economist
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:55 AM
MM3846's Avatar
MM3846
Status: Offline
Adam
95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
We are talking early 60's Buick here. 87 octane is adequate, but you might need to retard the timing slightly.

-Jeff
I have my timing bumped 1-2 degrees to try and pretend I'm making more power. For real though, 8 months ago I was paying almost $5 a gallon. $2.89 for 93 is amazing, I hope it stays around $3/gal all summer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 4,290
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2411D90 View Post
So have I, for at least the past five years. Better mileage, better performance, and the satisfaction of thumbing my nose at the loathsome corn-squeezings lobbyists shoving this execrable sh.. into our gasoline. It can sometimes be hard to find, but here's a website that can help:


http://pure-gas.org/

Same here.
My '91 14CUX runs fine on low octane or premium but I will put ethanol-free gas in the tank 99% of the time.
Screw corn.

.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXT021-16 R380 Def front premium carpet set SafariHP The Vendors Loft 3 January 24th, 2015 09:00 AM
Kbx premium grill and fascia anfonee1 For Sale - Parts 4 September 30th, 2013 04:54 PM
Exmoor Trim USA Premium Loc Box and Premium Cubby Boxes are on Sale SafariHP The Vendors Loft 12 September 19th, 2012 09:27 PM
premium fuel? petminded Defender Technical Discussions 7 May 31st, 2012 07:09 AM
'97 D90 SW Moab Ready-Premium Condition. dwnish For Sale - Vehicles 2 February 28th, 2011 11:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Copyright