Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 29th, 2015, 09:59 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Premium Gas vs. Regular Gas

How crucial do you all think using premium vs regular in a 95' RRC is?

Driving in to fill up and seeing gas prices of regular at down to almost $2 a gallon I get a bit excited I have to admit. BUT....alas, I have to always reach for the premium handle at $2.50 and change a gallon. (seems a little silly an extra .50 for premium) Keeping all obvious gas criticisms aside from this thread such as "you drive a RR what do you expect, you're not driving that truck to get good gas mileage, etc, etc, etc..." I'm more so wondering the true affects of premium vs. regular on my trucks.

Ya can't say that it wouldn't get you a bit roused if you could once again pull into a gas station, pull out a 20 and get 3/4 tank in your Rover and grab a drink and snack. Imagine that!

Anyways, what's everyones thoughts on the topic?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2015, 10:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Never thought I'd see the day again when someone would be complaining about $2.50 premium...
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Not complaining. Read what I wrote.... looking for peoples thoughts on the differences in the gas quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
"Premium is somewhat of a misnomer.

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2015 10:34 PM ------

5 min 18 sec you can't get back but sort of explains it.
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:35 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
What does the manual say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
How crucial do you all think using premium vs regular in a 95' RRC is?

Driving in to fill up and seeing gas prices of regular at down to almost $2 a gallon I get a bit excited I have to admit. BUT....alas, I have to always reach for the premium handle at $2.50 and change a gallon. (seems a little silly an extra .50 for premium) Keeping all obvious gas criticisms aside from this thread such as "you drive a RR what do you expect, you're not driving that truck to get good gas mileage, etc, etc, etc..." I'm more so wondering the true affects of premium vs. regular on my trucks.

Ya can't say that it wouldn't get you a bit roused if you could once again pull into a gas station, pull out a 20 and get 3/4 tank in your Rover and grab a drink and snack. Imagine that!

Anyways, what's everyones thoughts on the topic?

Thanks!
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:39 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Try the "lower grade" of gas and see if you get any knocking. Higher grade is supposed to be better for high compression motors, and the octane number of the gas you are buying is a minimum number. I am not a full expert--I wonder if the ethanol that is in all of the gas we are using increases octane.

I have three cars that "require" higher octane fuel, two of which are nearing 200K miles. I use regular and haven't had a problem.

In upstater NY, the price spread between Regular and Premium used to be .20, then it was almost .50. I don't really get that, except to say anecdotally that refiners are making less premium gas now days because the demand is lower. I wonder if premium gas that sits in the large underground tanks start to go bad because there is so much ethanol in it.

INVITE for a full discussion....
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the d90 has always ran the best on shell 93. Shell 93 Makes the Hondas happy, I'll run a tank ever couple thousand miles. Older Subaru likes it as well. Don't be such a cheap fuck we are talking 7 or so dollardifference per,fill up. Ethanol free is ideal but hard to find 93 sans corn. I find ethanol free mid grade regular. My chainsaws and blower run better on 93 regardless of ethanol content.

do some mileancalculations of 93 vs.87.
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:53 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
"Premium is somewhat of a misnomer.

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2015 10:34 PM ------

5 min 18 sec you can't get back but sort of explains it.
Good video. Makes some good points that would justify using premium over regular. Apparently there's a good deal more science involved to validate the purpose of using premium.

Thanks for the video.

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2015 10:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Try the "lower grade" of gas and see if you get any knocking. Higher grade is supposed to be better for high compression motors, and the octane number of the gas you are buying is a minimum number. I am not a full expert--I wonder if the ethanol that is in all of the gas we are using increases octane.

I have three cars that "require" higher octane fuel, two of which are nearing 200K miles. I use regular and haven't had a problem.

In upstater NY, the price spread between Regular and Premium used to be .20, then it was almost .50. I don't really get that, except to say anecdotally that refiners are making less premium gas now days because the demand is lower. I wonder if premium gas that sits in the large underground tanks start to go bad because there is so much ethanol in it.

INVITE for a full discussion....
Damn, that was my case in point. I agree. The differences in price between regular and premium were not but .20 different but now .50........just seems odd. But you make a valid point. This is one of the reasons I brought up this topic in the first place. If regular goes to $1.50 at some future date (unlikely maybe but who knows), and premium is $2.50 or greater because the spreads become larger for the reason you stated above, then don't tell me premium payers wouldn't be bringing up this very topic and looking to put in regular.

Good topic.
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:11 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I run Ethanol free premium in all my trucks except the IIa which gets ethanol free regular.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old January 30th, 2015, 12:52 AM
2411D90
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I run Ethanol free premium in all my trucks except the IIa which gets ethanol free regular.

So have I, for at least the past five years. Better mileage, better performance, and the satisfaction of thumbing my nose at the loathsome corn-squeezings lobbyists shoving this execrable sh.. into our gasoline. It can sometimes be hard to find, but here's a website that can help:

http://pure-gas.org/
Old January 30th, 2015, 06:55 AM
MM3846
Adam
95 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
We are talking early 60's Buick here. 87 octane is adequate, but you might need to retard the timing slightly.

-Jeff
I have my timing bumped 1-2 degrees to try and pretend I'm making more power. For real though, 8 months ago I was paying almost $5 a gallon. $2.89 for 93 is amazing, I hope it stays around $3/gal all summer.
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2411D90 View Post
So have I, for at least the past five years. Better mileage, better performance, and the satisfaction of thumbing my nose at the loathsome corn-squeezings lobbyists shoving this execrable sh.. into our gasoline. It can sometimes be hard to find, but here's a website that can help:

http://pure-gas.org/

Same here.
My '91 14CUX runs fine on low octane or premium but I will put ethanol-free gas in the tank 99% of the time.
Screw corn.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas