Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 9th, 2016, 02:44 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Premium gas prices

So I just went to the gas station to fill up the 95' RRC and noticed the difference from my premium price and the regular price: almost 70 cents difference!!!! WTF!! Seriously, is the difference in the two that much that it requires that big of a difference in pricing. Seems pretty F**Ked up if you ask me. Anyone running regular in their Classics and notice a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I can feel the difference in my 94 lwb on the road. I made the run down to the lower outer banks last weekend and ran premium both ways.

Regular unleaded is less than $1.40 some places around here.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
So I just went to the gas station to fill up the 95' RRC and noticed the difference from my premium price and the regular price: almost 70 cents difference!!!! WTF!! Seriously, is the difference in the two that much that it requires that big of a difference in pricing. Seems pretty F**Ked up if you ask me. Anyone running regular in their Classics and notice a difference?
We had this discussion a while back that the theory is that price manipulation is at work.
That is the price of everything except premium is artificially raised, so that regular can be artificially lowered.
Diesel costs more that it should at the pump.
Even with the additional cost of sulfur removal, many believe diesel should be slightly cheaper than regular.
This was a good article: Getting the sulfur out: Method is kind to environment and wallet. — Environmental Health News

Back to your original thought, I think the price of high test is artificially raised, but have no objective data to prove it (yet).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 03:39 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I notice a difference in my 4.6 RR.
Fuel mileage is .2 different and with 87 octane I notice a slight retarding of the timing at full throttle.
But I can play the system too. If I run to empty, I fill up with 93. I'll top it off every two days or so with 4 or 5 gallons of 87 octane. Then the following week run it empty and start the process over.
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I am not complaining one bit - wasn't too long ago we were facing $6 a gal. OR MORE
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM
rangerover
Patrick
1990 Range Rover

I run midgrade in my 95 LWB with great results. Paying about $2.15/gal which really isn't all that bad. I've noticed increased performance and fuel mileage in comparison to using regular.

Old February 9th, 2016, 03:55 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Retard the timing a couple of degrees and it should run fine on mid-grade or even regular...mine does. If I am towing something or running in the mountains I will top up with premium to prevent any chance of pinging but for everyday driving regular works just fine for me..
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
if you fill up 20 gallons @ .70 var is $ 14.00

A can of booster cost $ 9.00 and treats 50 gallons

mmmm worth trying
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I run 87 octane in my '91 RR all the time but it almost exclusively Ethanol-Free!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Diesel costs more that it should at the pump.
Even with the additional cost of sulfur removal, many believe diesel should be slightly cheaper than regular.
In your country, diesel costs more because it is taxed higher than gasoline. There is a normal swing in its supply cost through the seasons. Higher in the winter due to heating oil demand.

In Canada, where the diesel tax is less than gasoline, diesel is cheaper than gas in the summer and more expensive in the winter.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I saw Premium under $2/gallon for the first time in 15 years yesterday. $1.93 at Costco. $1.71 for regular unleaded. Those are the cheapest prices around here. Gas on the west coast is always more for some reason.
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:16 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Diesel pricing certainly has a tax component, but the federal tax hasn't changed since 1997. Diesel is taxed 0.244 cents per gallon. Gasoline is taxed at 0.184. States tax as well, but the amounts are all over the place, as expected. (Hold on to your wallets because now that we are enjoying low fuel prices politicians everywhere are itching to raise taxes. Obama proposed a whopping $10 per barrel tax on crude). Seasonality is a big factor in the swing of diesel over gasoline given that home heating is a similar product. Then there's the global demand for diesel, which is much much higher than in the US and the fuel can be exported. However, the biggest reason why diesel tends to trade at a premium to gasoline is the federally mandated requirement for Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. It simply costs more to make and with a finite number of refineries being forced to make many more different cuts of products in today's world, the impact is seen in the price.

As for the price premium of premium unleaded, crude oil today contains more sulfur than decades past (crude oil grades are differentiated by the sulfur content). Higher sulfur crude takes more refining to achieve the higher octane of premium. On top of that, most cars use regular, which means that a retailer typically holds the premium inventory longer. There's also some marketing priced in given that higher priced cars tend to use premium, but it's the smallest piece of the spread.

West Coast gasoline is priced higher because of the more stringent CARB requirement, thus more costly oxygenates blended into Cali gasoline. As well, there are only a handful of refineries setup to make that gasoline and good luck ever building any more, which applies most everywhere by the way. The Cali market is an island. Crude refined east of the Rockies can't be used there, so supply from elsewhere can't be trucked or piped in. That's why prices spike so much when a refinery gones down.

Overall, we have a fixed amount of refineries meeting greater overall demand, all the while being hit with ever tighter federal and state requirements.
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Anyone wise use gasbuddy to find lowest prices near them?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:53 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I have the Gasbuddy app on my phone. I just wish it had some of the features that their website has. You can't preplan a cross country trip using the app like you can on the website. So you have to map out your fuel stops ahead of the drive and hope that you don't change routes on the fly.
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I do

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I run premium ethanol free in all my trucks and regular ethanol free in the IIa... They all run great.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 10th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I syphon from other Rovers...the inaccurate fuel gauges do not raise suspicion...
Old February 10th, 2016, 05:39 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I run premium ethanol free in all my trucks and regular ethanol free in the IIa... They all run great.
How do you find the ethanol free fuel? I have been trying to find it for use in my boat with no luck.
Old February 10th, 2016, 05:48 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
On a recent trip into Missouri & Mississippi a lot of stations had ethanol free petrol, was even one guy selling red diesel on the road side, nice guy

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
How do you find the ethanol free fuel? I have been trying to find it for use in my boat with no luck.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas