Pre Purchase Inspections - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Pre Purchase Inspections

If all goes as planned I should shortly be in the market for my first defender. I was wondering if anyone can share some info on getting defenders inspected by someone who really knows these trucks before agreeing on a purchase price. Basically, I'm looking to put a fair value on a truck and possibly be enlightened to some existing issues etc... I have met some people on the board over the years and heard of members who have helped out with this type of thing. I'm looking to get any info on where to start such as if there's a shop in my area and also if the truck I find is not in my area should I trust a Rover dealer with an inspection. I do not have a specific truck in mind at the moment, but I would like to have a plan in place so when I'm ready ( hopefully after the holidays) I'm not wasting time scrambling over this when I find the truck that's right for me. If anyone has any ballpark costs involved that could help too.
I have done some homework by searching the forums for common issues, spoken to a few owners over the years etc... This is a big purchase for me about 10 patient years in the waiting so think going with experience is best rather than some of my friends who own early broncos, but don't know defenders. Unless maybe you guys think someone with strong general knowledge of older trucks like broncos would suffice.
I really appreciate any help and info and hope I can make some contributions to the board one day myself. Thank you! John- Long Island, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The search function will become your best friend... Make sure you get detailed pictures of all the critical areas to help narrow your search. Then let us know where the trucks you are interested in are and people will help you.

Old November 27th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Thanks for the quick reply Scott, I should have also mentioned I will be looking for a NAS truck. I will be doing a lot more homework myself as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2013, 01:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Perfect... If you find one in or near Atlanta.... I will be happy to help.

Old November 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Scott, I should have also mentioned I will be looking for a NAS truck. I will be doing a lot more homework myself as well.
Open your search range to cover the entire country, ask for local support on the forum after you have confirmed/contacted the seller. We do pre-purchase inspections for trucks in the NorthWest - Washington, Oregon, Idaho, BC and YT Canada, and Alaska. There are enough independant Rover mechanics in most regions to have a thourough mechanical inspection done with any potential purchase if you need/want more detail than a friendly board member can or will provide. Cost of professional pre-purchase inspection will vary by location and level of inspection but you can expect to pay anywhere between $100 and $300 for most. Most all the board members will be happy to do a casual inspection for free - or for the cost of a beer or two - and some will do as good a job if not better than some of the "pro" reports.

Good luck with the search and welcome to the addiction.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:29 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Hi John, people like yourself are exactly why I started my business. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have, I would be very glad to help you find your first Defender.

www.overhillanddale.com

adam@overhillanddale.com
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
not to debunk or otherwise ruin it for anyone with a business.....
BUT,
If you find a truck - and it is local to anyone on this board - you will find that it is such a close knit community many, if not all, would do a pre-purchase inspection of it for you, and take pictures and give you a write up. Free...it is one of the reasons we have forums - to help out the brotherhood!
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

I appreciate any and all replies guys, thank you and I will take everything into consideration when the time comes. Businesses and free info alike are greatly appreciated, knowing there seems to be a strong amount of options helps. It def. seems logical that location of a truck will play a major role here.
Jonesy, I appreciate the info and have to say I have met two or three board members over the years and all have been very generous with time and knowledge. Almost every defender owner I have met has been very cool and I would not hesitate to take any board member advice when the time comes.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:33 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I absolutely agree that the help provided by many owners here is nothing short of invaluable.

However, for some buyers a significant amount of confidence comes from a professional pre purchase inspection executed by someone who specializes in such things rather than just dabbles in it.

For example, my inspections are typically 2+ hours and include well over 100 detailed photos. Admittedly, this type of service does come at cost and is certainly not for everybody.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
not to debunk or otherwise ruin it for anyone with a business.....
BUT,
If you find a truck - and it is local to anyone on this board - you will find that it is such a close knit community many, if not all, would do a pre-purchase inspection of it for you, and take pictures and give you a write up. Free...it is one of the reasons we have forums - to help out the brotherhood!
Not debunking or ruining anything - you are quite right about the brotherhood of forum folks being the frontline on pre-purchase verification.

I've done inspections for free as it was convenient to my schedule and the seller brought the truck to me - conversely if someone wants me to fly to the Yukon in December an inspection bill will reflect my displeasure for traveling in really nasty cold conditions… Personally I'd rather have an enthusiast (voluntary forum member) do an initial inspection and send photos/videos to verify the accuracy of the information provided by the seller and note any mistakes or withheld critical details. After that I'd be likely to arrange my own in person inspection and transaction - but then again I'm knee deep in ROW trucks and clearly have a different definition of "acceptable risk" than most.
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'm right in Bayport and have built my 90 and 110 from the ground up (with a lot of student help) and you can come check then out if you like. I should not forget to mention all the help on got on this site.
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Thanks a lot everyone, I def. appreciate it.
Tomaco, I may take you up on that soon. Now that you mentioned Bayport I realize you were one of the members I met a few years ago along the way. I appreciate it and work in the area so hopefully I'll be in touch when the time comes.
Old November 27th, 2013, 05:28 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
The beauty of coming to the members here is that someone probably knows the history of the very truck you're interested in.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old November 27th, 2013, 05:34 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

i'm local an can always give me a call ....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rovertek/102768113153074

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
inspection