Power Inverter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Power Inverter

Does anyone have a really nice setup for a power inverter in their 90...? I'm looking to power the standard load stuff, it doesnt need to power any thing like a table saw or industrial equipment. My thought was to have a fixed/built in unit while maintaining the "look" we all know and love!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I have one. Wait for picture. Been using it for about 10+ years. Portable, too.
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Where do you want the 110 volt outlets? I would imagine placing the inverter itself in one of the seat boxes makes the most sense. But then getting the power out to somewhere will require just a little work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Here is what I use.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/..._sku=100539705
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

on ECR's web site they have a mob that incorporates an inverter under the center cubby...its one of the heavy duty ones...but its just placed with only the end exposed with the outlets and on off switch. I want to go better.

I have a lot of ideas but wanted to see what anyone else has done!!
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

The only problem with ECR's under-the-cubby inverter is the raised cubby looks goofy. I guess the reason why they do it that way is for ease of going back to stock.

I think it comes down to a personal decision: Do you want a reversible install or a more permanent? Which then translates to: How long to do you plan on keeping the Rover? If you're kind of infatuated with the rig, but not sure if you might trade it in the future for whatever reason, then do a reversible install to bring it back to stock or as close as possible.

Otherwise, if you think you will keep it for a really long time (whatever that means), do it differently. Niell's seatbox idea is kind of cool. Mount it on the inside of the seatbox, somehow maybe with the sockets facing toward the back? Or mount it in the cubby with hole in the back or side. Lots of pros and cons of each decision. If you don't like those places, go for a storage box in the back somewhere and mount it in the box, and cut holes in it.

I think that if you do the more permanent install, you can do it nicely so that it looks and functions properly, so that it would not make a prospective buyer think - "man, what a hack job, I'll look for something else."
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
My plan for both the LR3 and future Defender would be a hide-away unit like a Xantrex XM1000, and then locate outlets where I need them, using panel mount receptacles. Add in a remote control switch, and everything is hidden from view.

Haven't done it yet, so no pics... but sooner or later it will happen.

Edit: Just to kind of show what I am talking about, the receptacles I am thinking of are Hubbell HBL61CM65 or similar.... http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring...e&PN=HBL61CM65
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Bill, I'm glad you asked this question. I've been kicking it around in my head for a while too. I like the idea of mounting it under the drivers seat w/ the battery and then running a cord to a plug in the center console.

The two reasons for this would be consumes less cab space witch we don't have enough of as is, and keeps the heat and noise from the converter out of the cab.

Here is one of the ones I like the looks of: http://www.theinverterstore.com/the-...del=bct010009d

I don't know much about inverters from what I've read sine wave is the way to go as its closest to residential power.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. Might ask the question on expedition portal, however the answers you get may not be defender specific.

That plug ^^^^ would be perfect on the end of this cord.
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
As far as sine vs. square wave, it really just depends on what you planning on plugging in to it. Almost all electronics are going to have a rectified DC power supply anyway, where the AC coming in is going to get filtered through a diode rectifier, and then sent through some filter capacitors anyway. So the input waveform really doesn't matter.

Anything with line voltage AC motors such as power tools, or line voltage AC appliances should stick to sine wave. You will pay dearly with your wallet for the nice clean output.

Almost all of the inverters you go and buy at a store somewhere are square wave or "Modified Sine Wave" inverters.
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Wink

mod not mob....so much for previewing...

------ Follow up post added November 20th, 2010 03:21 PM ------

You guys are right on target with my thoughts...however I think this is going to be a spring project. Also I'm keeping my D90 for ever and for me that means being buried in it...
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I just bought one at Harbor Freight, was gonna use it specifically for this electric impact wrench I bought there as well, I forget the wattage but it was one of the bigger ones for like 230 bucks I think. It's also in the back so passengers can use it to power/charge their laptops/cell phone as well. Haven't had time to install it yet, hopefully soon.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat