Powder coating in NoVa - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 30th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I dropped the arb off at the powder coasters last week. A previous owner of the bumper had covered in bed liner. Their sandblaster couldn't penetrate the rhino lining/line-x whatever it was on there. Apparently the sand bounced right off, and there were obvious places where they'd tried. They suggested an angle grinder to remove it, but noted that it was lifting in several places and thought that it may not be terrible to remove due to poor prep work before it was lined.
So I brought it home and in short it took me under an hour to pull all of it off. Whoever lined it did absolutely no prep work and consequently the liner was only really held onto the bumper because it was encapsulating it. I wound up having to flap disc 2 small spots were it had actually adhered. Big lesson here for bed liner: don't trust it, mine looked very good but water had gotten under it and was rusting the bumper. Definitely worst case scenario.

Anyway, an hour with a razor knife and it was off. I took the opportunity to weld up several residual holes in the bumper from previous owners' attachment of limb risers, solenoid packs in strange places and a few others that I have no idea their purpose.

Dropped it back off at the powdercoater today and it will be ready in a few days along with the flat grill, the spacers for the 8274 and the fairlead (which was the only option easily available for a synthetic line on an ARB and was polished aluminum, but will now be black).

More to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Soooooo it took them 2 weeks to do the work, apparently they got in a job for their "best customer" which delayed mine (that sure gives you the warm and fuzzies . . .) I also had to proactivly reach out to them to find out that it was delayed, finished, etc.

Overall, they did a good job. I have to say that there were more, and more prominent lines in the items from the wires they rack the pieces with. There is also one spot on the grill that looks like the PC either didn't adhere or got scratched off. I pointed these out and got the "that's just part of it" line. That said, they look infinently better than they did.

Would I go back there? Yah, maybe -- they're convenient. But did they do a good enough job that I won't price out the next job with other firms? Absolutely not. I think this was a small job for them and got treated as such. They were considerably cheaper than ASCO quoted in Manassas, so that's worth something.

At the end of the day I"m happy, the bumper looks very good, and it's done.
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dominion Powdercoating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
nova