Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 14th, 2013, 01:39 PM
SomethingNew71
Cole Gentry
None

Potential New Defender Owner Here

Hey Folks!

I am brand new as you can see from my post count and have some questions for the experts. I currently have a 1960 Morris Mini which I drive very frequently and use more than my "daily driver" VW Golf. I am thinking about replacing my VW with a defender and going full brit. I am extremely proficient in mechanical matters and I am trained as a diesel mechanic. My questions are below:
  1. How comfortable are the pre 88 defenders in regular driving conditions?
  2. Any things worth noting about driving one exclusively?
  3. I am thinking about doing a diesel swap, are they any more efficent with the diesel? (I would imagine they are)
  4. Is AC even an option pre-88? Are there aftermarket kits. I would want at least one of the cars to have AC since my mini doesnt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Also if you are interested this is my Mini ----> Click Me!

Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Someone asks these questions every 10 days or so here. Search is your friend. That said, it sounds like you have the background to be a happy Defender owner. BTW, there is a Tithonus Defender for sale by Bobcat in Florida for under $20k that is pristine....
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
1. Depends on what seats you have in it.
2. It is a 25 year old British vehicle.
3. 200tdi, 300tdi or Robert Davis has a killer Mercedes Benz OM617 conversion kit.
3' Any thing is possible with enough money

------ Follow up post added October 14th, 2013 01:47 PM ------

Also there is a Rover event near you at Uwharrie, you may pop out there and look at some trucks and all the nice people working on them.

X2 on Bobcat110's truck for sale I have one and I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2013, 01:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingNew71 View Post
  1. How comfortable are the pre 88 defenders in regular driving conditions?
  2. Any things worth noting about driving one exclusively?
  3. I am thinking about doing a diesel swap, are they any more efficent with the diesel? (I would imagine they are)
  4. Is AC even an option pre-88? Are there aftermarket kits. I would want at least one of the cars to have AC since my mini doesnt.
Cool Mini!

1. I find the stock seats very comfortable, but others have switched to aftermarket seats and claim superiority.
2. Defenders perform the best when maintained properly and driven frequently. Lots of threads on this, so I suggest you look around a bit (search button is at the top of the page), but many use their Defenders as their daily drivers. If you have another vehicle as a back-up if it does need additional work every once in a while...even better.
3. You'd be surprised how many options will fit under the hood. Land Rover 200 and 300tdi, Mercedes OM617, etc.
4. Vintage Air
Old October 14th, 2013, 02:06 PM
SomethingNew71
Cole Gentry
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Someone asks these questions every 10 days or so here. Search is your friend. That said, it sounds like you have the background to be a happy Defender owner. BTW, there is a Tithonus Defender for sale by Bobcat in Florida for under $20k that is pristine....
I figured this was a common question. WE get them in the classic mini forums constantly. I have been searching but I wanted some direct information from people. I really appreciate the feedback though. That Defender is in pretty awesome shape. Hoping for something a bit more "windowy" though. Hahaha.

------ Follow up post added October 14th, 2013 02:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
1. Depends on what seats you have in it.
2. It is a 25 year old British vehicle.
3. 200tdi, 300tdi or Robert Davis has a killer Mercedes Benz OM617 conversion kit.
3' Any thing is possible with enough money

------ Follow up post added October 14th, 2013 01:47 PM ------

Also there is a Rover event near you at Uwharrie, you may pop out there and look at some trucks and all the nice people working on them.

X2 on Bobcat110's truck for sale I have one and I love it.
I plan on stopping by that for sure. I am hoping that someone will give me drive their rover if I let them drive my mini.

------ Follow up post added October 14th, 2013 02:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Cool Mini!

1. I find the stock seats very comfortable, but others have switched to aftermarket seats and claim superiority.
2. Defenders perform the best when maintained properly and driven frequently. Lots of threads on this, so I suggest you look around a bit (search button is at the top of the page), but many use their Defenders as their daily drivers. If you have another vehicle as a back-up if it does need additional work every once in a while...even better.
3. You'd be surprised how many options will fit under the hood. Land Rover 200 and 300tdi, Mercedes OM617, etc.
4. Vintage Air

I guess the seats are a personal preference type of thing. They are just like minis then in that respect then. You drive them and use them they are happy. When they sit and don't move they start to break. I'll check out vintage air. Thank you.
Old October 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Remove the top or add side windows...some just popped here for $230 or so.
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:58 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bobcat has soft top kits available if you are interested. You can look at my avatar for a pick of a Tithonus soft top. I have seen in person both of Kens trucks and they are nice.
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If you have the money to rent an actual car for a week or two every time one goes down, then sure.
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM
SomethingNew71
Cole Gentry
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
If you have the money to rent an actual car for a week or two every time one goes down, then sure.
Lmao I take enough car of the mini to where this won't happen. I won't be in a place where both are down unless I run them both into a tree within the same week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender