Possible purchase of Def 110 csw: need advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Possible purchase of Def 110 csw: need advice

TAke a look at this Def 110 on Ebay. I an really interested in it, but it's in the Netherlands. Anybody in this group live close to the address that they could check it out for me? Anybody have any business with this person before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...em110218612427

The fact that all the buyers in his Feedback are all private bothers me. I have a lot of respect for gut feelings
from experienced Land Rover owners/buyers here on the forum so if anybody has any feelings pro or con on this one, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Just my opinion, but if you are going to risk that amount of money on a fraudulent import, you could just as easily do it with parts here already.

It would be a shame to see that 110 impounded and crushed by DOT or EPA at the port of arrival.

Way to risky in my book, particular given that the first years are coming up as legal to import. Overseas, and fraud vin = bad juju.
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Have you read the "what's legal" thread and the info page over at ECR? If not, you really should - its good info and this truck is a big no-go. Some of these vehicles get into the country, many do not. Please don't even consider it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Yeah, I'm familiar with the import rules and regs, but there seems to be a lot of "older" Defenders here in the States using earlier/reissued titles. This really gets some people on this forum bent out of shape.

Before I get a lot of ranting back at me, I do understand that there are gray areas/illegal; i.e., punching out the vin plate and re-attaching an older one;

or complete frame parts/changes changes that are legit, i.e. "building a Def 110." I talked to a couple of guys to get an idea of having a Def 110 built here. I have conveyed that I am seriously interested but all I got back were vague answers, "between $8k and $30k." Too unprofessional for me. I'm the kind of person that needs to see an excel spread of where my money is going.

On the above advice, I'm going to pass on the Netherlands truck. All the feedback is appreciated.
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Jesse - the import regs changed circa 1989-1990. Previously, the rules were similar, but oversight was poor and lots of grey-market cars came in during the 80's. Thus, it is conceivable that a 80's vintage Rover could have been imported during the 80's and thus been 100% legit. 110's and 90's have only been added to the Vehicle Eligibility List in the last few years, and these only correspond with the NAS years, thus very few have come in legally under the new system.

I'm a guy who will never come out on the side of misrepresenting a vehicle, which is a risk that a lot of people (esp sellers overseas) seem to be willing to take with your money. On the other hand, what is a completely restored vehicle? Frequently, it shares very few parts with the original vehicle. Certainly ECR's "no apologies" trucks are much more new than old, but there is no doubt about what they are, thus, they are legit both legally and metaphysically.

Old January 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For the record, I'm pro grey-black market when it comes to Defenders, and I might consider it if I was single , in the markeet, and the defender I was looking at was here. When I was researching my 110 purchase, i was doing so with the intent that I would never sell it, as it was my lifetime dream vehicle. But to buy one oversears and try to import it is SUCH A CRAPSHOOT from what I can tell, that it would be a HUGE financial and legal risk that you would have to be willing to take.

IF you were able to buy it from a legit seller, and IF you were then able to import it into USA and slip it through the customs nazi's, and then IF you finally got it and the condition was farely represented on ebay to make it financially worthwhile, and then IF you were able to get your state to register it, and IF you were able to find insurance for it, then if you are like me, you would still be praying to God evertime you left the driveway, that you didn't rear end someone and cause your insurance company to actually investigate it. If they found out it was an illegal vin swap..well, that would suck.

All that said, that looked like a sweet 110, and if it was already here and registered in YOUR state, I'd say go for it.

The more 110's there are in the US, the happier I am.
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

oh boy, you are throwing stones with those statements

for the record I am behind you 100%

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags